Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
stretchmoney OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
smokey honda

okay here's what i did to winterize-05cbr600rr,in early dec.in friend's basement:

full tank of gas-fuel stabilizer(sta-bil brand)added,maybe a bit heavy handed.

engine filled with oil up to top of oil filler

lightly oiled rags taped over exhaust and intakes

battery on battery tender

then monday and today,april 9th and 10th:

oil drained, new oil in,rags removed,battery in.loud cilck heard from seat area when attempted to start.tried roll starting,even though friend and I pretty sure this doesn't work with fuel injection.but i think it would have,because you could hear the usual fuel pump noise once the kill switch was turned to"run".tried jumping off of car,with car off,as i have been told.one time out of ten,we hear a small sign of starter life.decide battery is dead and look for new one.

next day-today.new battery in,same sound.try by passing starter switch with wrench on the solenoid(or relay?)poles,next to battery under rear bodywork.no luck,nothing different.everytime the starter button is hit,all lights go out,and dash starts its little warm-up routine(tach sweep,speedo countdown)finally i just hold down the button for longer and we hear the starter,it sounds like the engine has turned over.we go outside and jump it off the car,it fires up.lots of smoke.

so we let it run a bit,then back inside to replace bodywork.friend notices oil level looks a little high(anybody else seem to have the case of the rising oil level?you put it in to a level between the lines,but as soon as the engine is run the level will end up high?)i drain a bit out and start it again,doesnt seem as smoky now.

so.was the smoke from the fuel stabilizer? the engine didnt get turned over and i didnt drop some oil into each piston-was my engine lightly seized?was the smoke from filling the case up with oil?would enough moisture to rust the pistons to the cyl walls really get in past oily rags or just kind of already be in the engine?

my last winterization had my old bandit600 outside in a sort of tent i made,in a winter that had 3 ft of snow on the ground for months.oil in each cyl,engine rolled over by turning the back wheel maybe 2-3 times in 3-4 months,battery left on wood floor of apartment in unheated zone,airbox and exhaust taped up.cases filled with oil.come spring bike fired right up.

was the bad luck this time around from not dumping a bit down each cyl?not turning the engine around at all?i did ride it 30 miles home just now,seemed a bit smokey,any ideas?
the friend is mr ray,whata pal for letting me wreck his nights twice in a row,cutting down his sleep to a few paltry hours,letting a cat out,botching his dinner,etc.he had to loan me his car so i could get home,he let me ride his new strom(dope,yo!)and made some calls to try and help.one shop suggested the stuck piston scenario,and said to be careful dont force it,you can bend the crank with the starter motor-any opinions on that as well?
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote