User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2007, 04:33 AM   #1
gco0307 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
NSW, Aust - 14/4/2007 - Yengo Track Ride Report

Well the day dawned clear which was a good way to start and so it was off to meet John (Stretch) at Heathcote before heading to McGraths Hill where we were to meet a few ADVRiders.

Well we arrived at McGraths Hill and ended up with a bunch of 11 bikes (3 x Weestrom, 2 x R1200GS, 2 x DR650, 1 x KLR650 and 1 x Transalp 650) so it was looking like a good day. We departed with the aim to regroup at the halfway house which was achieved with due ease but not before one of the nicest Putty rides I have ever experienced. The little traffic allowed me to get into a rhythm that continued all the way to the half way house where we were greeted by the Westpac chopper before consuming plenty of fluids and then stocking some more in on our bikes.

The half way house rest stop.

From here we followed Whitey to the turn off, well kinda. The following part we did well, it was just the turn-off that proved elusive but a quick retrack of 200 or so metres and we we at the start of the Howes Valley track.

Ok, the fun is about to start, tyre deflation time.

The track itself started ok but as we were to find out soon enough, when graded it gets damn loose. Yep, today was the day the track was getting graded but we soon got around it and continued onwards. To say this track was testing is probably correct as there were some very difficult sections of either loose dirt, hard rocks, loose rocks or any combination you can image, but fun, hell yes.

I experienced everything I reckon I need or want to experience on an offroad adventure but I will be back, just not tomorrow as I expect the body to be aching for a week.

A few of pics from the Howes, firstly one of the small hills and the sand leading into it, this was fun!

And A few of the guys showing me how to do it.

And a small hill we found.

Deano showing that Stroms can fly.

After following the Howes Track for a Whitey described 10 kms we had a little rest and recuperate session before heading off to the Finchley Trig lookout to enjoy the sensational views.

The rest after Whitey's 10 kms (check the distance the sign tells us it was)

Then it was off down the remaining kms of Finchley Track and onto Wollombi Road and to Wisemans Ferry. It was on this section that I hit a rock in the middle of nowhere and felt a might bang so cam to a quick stop, saw nothing and continued on. Only when I stopped to fuel up at Narellan did I find that my centrestand is well out of position and wedged tight so tomorrow I will be trying to sort that out.

A few pics from Finchley Track.

At Wollombi Road Mark on the Transalp advised that he would not be heading to Wisemans via St Albans so we all said our goodbyes as the remaining eight headed up Wollombi Road to the St Albans turn off to enjoy some more sensation dirt. Mind you, some of those damn blind corners just sneak up on you (hey Whitey, Vincent) but with a little bit of opposite lock, a rear wheel slid and a large dose of luck I got through.

By the time the stragglers (that would be six of us) arrived at St Albans two of our group had already been in, ordered and made themselves comfortable. One of these days guys, one of these days it will be me.

From St Albans it was out to Wisemans with a nice strop on the tarred section before crossing on the Ferry and all heading our separate ways home.

Me, I had an absolute ball even if I now need to fix something on the bike and despite finding what I think at this stage will be my limits as far as offroading goes. That track was damn tough and testing and caused me to question WHY more than once, but then I would get through and know the answer to the question.

Great company, great day and a big thanks to everyone.

Now I have to apologise if those report seems a bit pathetic but man, after a day like that I am stuffed so will keep it brief.

Mt full photobucket album - http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m...-14/?start=all

Garry
gco0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
Now that looks like a lovely trail ride!! Thanks for posting
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Last pic: looks like you've caught the barge operator's attention - he's photographing you. Or maybe that's for the police report?

Nice to see some Stroms getting dirty.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Great Scott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Thanks Gary for organising it and Whitey for pointing us in the right direction. I had an absolute ball....especially the graded first section with them perfect erosion mounds!!!

It is not often you go on a ride where everyone rides to their own ability and gives 100% commitment to every obstacle that maybe they wouldn`t of attempted before.There was one hill I stopped at to view the carnage to follow but all the bastards just rode straight up it....BUGGER. Well done. Next time any of you guys wanna ride include me.

Special thanks to Gary and Mr Tooheys for letting me sit right behind you thru the twisties out of St Albans ( unlike my effort going up in the morning ) until we were hindered by that learner legal bike....hahaha Good Stuff
Great Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
thumper gman
GLEN

Oddometer: 559
cool but next time we need more photos of the klr doing its thing
thumper gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
whitey222
occasionally adventurous

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper gman
cool but next time we need more photos of the klr doing its thing
Just for you thumper gman...

and a few more from yesterday...

Thanks Garry for organising this ride. I had a ball, although a few muscles are complaining this morning. It was a perfect day's riding with great company to boot.

whitey222 screwed with this post 04-14-2007 at 06:40 PM
whitey222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,954
looks like a hoot, I might have to break my no day rides rule and come on the next one
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,952
Nice one guys

I like the pic of the submarining V-Strom
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:39 AM   #9
ChrisCrossed
Now sans KLX...

Oddometer: 1,886
Can't believe they graded the bloody road - wowsers!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:52 AM   #10
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,462
nice ride, looks like a heap of fun.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #11
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
Great photo's Garry & Graham, looks like an excellent ride too
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
8Superman
Shut up and RIDE!!

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by gco0307
Deano showing that Stroms can fly.
I bet they land as good as they fly. Like a tank!! Thanks for the report!!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:32 AM   #13
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,902
cool - thanks for posting.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #14
thumper gman
GLEN

Oddometer: 559
geez thanks whitey
thumper gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:46 AM   #15
Levon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
thanks for the pics guys

That one of the Trannie getting wet made the $69 mirror and the $350 paint job on the fairing worth it.
That was my first offroad day; nice the way the guys waited after each tricky bit.
Sorry I missed the last leg, but I've only had my licence for a few months and the St Albans pub would've been just too tempting.
Mark/Levon (my middle name)