User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #46
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Day before X-MAS OOPS!

That day was such a blast as the second portion of the day I was riding by myself and just airing out the big 950! A little too much!

I knew was only a matter of time before I did this as I have read alot about how soft these rims are.

SO - anyone know if this can be staighted out and where? Time to call Woodies and get some serious rims laced up and save these for the tarmac-touring.

Tire Report: both tires are shot!
Front tire Karoo was on the big when purchased at 2,450 miles and the bike just hit 10,000 miles. This front tire is toast.

Rear Tire: Perelli is tost as well.

It has made it 2,345 mikes so far.

Michelin or Dunlop - next!
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER

GCRad1 screwed with this post 02-10-2007 at 05:28 PM
GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #47
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

TG got a DRZ and I broke out the DirtDawgXR400

This past Friday my buddy Thad and I set out to ride around my local favorite mountains, yes, those here in our Orange County backyard!

Plan was to meet at 10:00am as he went to BRP to pick up his first option part for his new Susuki DRZ400 - Scott steering dampener!

I was in the garage getting sorted:

It's more junkyard that garage, but at least the wife can park her car in here AND my KTM950ADV [not shown] as it is out to Z-Racing for 10,000mile service.

Did the morning service of checking the oil and that is a chore within itself as I have to remove the steering dampener to put in the dip stick:

Three kicks of the ol'trusty DirtDawgXR400 and the kickstand breaks:

Hey, my mountain bike does not have a kickstand, so why should my mountain motorcycle? Yea, I know, but nothing is going to stop me today!

Anyhow, make it to the Big White Gate and on time.

Have my new toy with me and give it a check to see how many paved miles it is from my garage door to the gate.

It's 27.2 miles. I need one of those TourTech Mounts so I can put this GPS puppy on my bars.

Time is passing, i'm wondering when TG-DRZ is showing up?

While I'm sitting here, the Foresty Service shows up saying they have to close the gate. We chit chat and I am thinking this mountain trip is not even going to happen. We talk for about thirty minutes or so and they start making moves to close the gate. They ask me if I am coming or going? And I said I was going if they would let me and it was going to be a tough thought to leave my man behind and he shows up just it time!!!

Make nice nice with the Foresty guys as they let us through to make the most of our day! Do you know how stoked we are?! They even call the sweep team and let them know we are going all the way through the mountain out to Ortega Highway as there is another gate about five miles up. The bigger side of the mountain riding is on the other side of that gate.

So we hustle up and get through the second gate, then start yet another climb. For Thad, this would be his second time up the hill as his first, he was sitting in my passenger seat driving a 5th scale R/C car up this side of the mountain. I'm sure he enjoyed the view this time, yet this was his first time up on two wheels.

In the shade ahead, I see snow! While making my way up the snow I am on the outside edge to keep traction, but I was thinking, I have to stop and take some pictures of this!!! I made the first oops as I transitioned over the slick icey part. I knew better, but I wanted that shot. I did not get the shot, got a little workout instead as I had to push the bike uphill just a bit for a little field service repair. I had to bend footpeg arm back down just slightly so I can make use of the kick starter.

Funny, Thad parked right in the middle of the patch of snow behind me, so I guess I did get my shot, just not of him riding, as that would have been more dramatic!

I don't think Thad got to see me fall, but he did see me pushing my bike up the hill as it was covered in snow, more like ice! he did get to see my antics of rearranging the position of the foot peg so I could make use of the kickstarter - the only starter for the XR, ok, there is the bump start and that was used alot this day...
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER

GCRad1 screwed with this post 03-05-2007 at 11:20 AM
Old 03-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #48
TG-DRZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Watching the rearranging of the foot peg was aw inspiring. It was like a mystical dance quintet…you know, a cycle.

I could have used the in-n-out afterwards.

"Tomorrow's already the tenth"
TG-DRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #49
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In search for food and miles to go!!! We are on a mission at this point - nothing fancy, just getting it done to get there!

Finally there, at the top of Ortega Canyon:
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER
Old 03-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #50
DarinB
Fish Hunter Esq.

Oddometer: 355
Nice!

So the gate is now closed. I was looking up there Sunday saying to myself that a nice ride would be good. I guess I'll have to wait.
DarinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #51
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Should be open some time later this week. They closed it do to a mountain bike race this weekend. We got lucky!
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER
Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #52
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

When we roll up in the parking lot, we noticed these guys preparing some serious mountain bikes, more like motorcycles minus engines. It's old school bmx cat - Eric Carter who is the pro level rider for Mongoose testing some new equipment on a rather sketchy trail down the side of the mountain. This trail looked straight down in my book...

Little scooby-snack-time:

TG sitting down and working over the Chili-dawg, onions, cheese - fuel of race champions. I had the same minus the cheese.*

This was in one of the windows. Nice reminder who the king was and paved the way for many today!

Act like you know:
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/hall...age.asp?id=161

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YINDOL7oOU

Doug basically, single-handidly invented what is now common street stunt riding.

Did I tell you I have a small passion for modern furniture?

Emeco Navy™ classic aluminum chairs
The product of a collaboration between Emeco and ALCOA in 1944 to produce a seaworthy chair for use by the US Navy, this sturdy aluminum chair is as near-indestructable as it is handsome. This sculptured masterwork is the result of a 77-step process hand-crafted by skilled experts that is such an exercise in perfection that it was chosen as the subject of a documentary film by Eames Demetrios. The form is comprised of one continuous piece of aluminum without seams.

The aluminum used in these chairs is subjected to a proprietary thermal treatment, making them three times stronger than steel. The anodized surface approaches the hardness of a diamond, and the hand-brushed finish just gets better with age, which is just as well - this chair has a life expectancy of at least 150 years, and can be used indoors or out, in even the harshest environments.
Source: http://www.highbrowfurniture.com/sea...roducts/1006/*

TIME TO MOUNT UP AND HEAD OUT:

Peep the carbon-fiber in gel just for looks... such the insult to carbon fiber...

OK, back to what we all came for!

Yea, got a little photo happy, but this was such a nice section and this was TG-DRZ's first outting, so it was a nice treat for him to have some nice images to go along with the fun time and memories of this first time out for him. You know how the next time will be... not stop and on a mission with no photo time... SO, seeing how i've been up here a bunch and never had any photos of me in action, he clicked some off of me!

GCRad1 in the house!!!

OK, enough playing photo'jockey - time to ride on and see the sights:

Hey LOOK - SNOW!!!

HEY LOOK - TG-DRZ in the Snow!!!

remember that broke kickstand?

TG-DRZ testing out his grips.
TG-DRZ testing out his goggles.
TG-DRZ testing out his sled.

ONE for the ADVrider.com posse!!!

yea, sorry, he's not flipping us off. I didn't tell him, but you know what they say about the bird... behind one is a pile of _ _ _ _. Sorry gang, keep the flippers for the bodyboard.

Gloved used for this test:

Action blur of TG-DRZ and the last image of our outting for this day.*Yea, I know, it's not razor shop crispy tack-sharp, but this does conclude our outting. Right after...

This image documenting the 151miles laid down for the day. Right here in the OC playground!!!
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER
Old 04-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #53
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

April 7th | Day before Easter - Fog City!

My buddy TG-DRZ called me about this little ride getting assembled for Saddleback / Santa Ana Mountains: "Newbie looking for some riders to hit Saddleback" http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215090

While I have been on groups rides in the Santa Ana's, any group more than three just seems too large for these relatively short rides and kill precious riding time, or should I say eat into precious riding time. It’s the weekend and you want to ride, spend time with the family and keep the wife happy, you gotta’keep the riding time precisely on track with the goal – RIDING!!! Riding in the desert with friends on bigger outings is one thing, but the local quicky-outting is about getting the riding miles knocked down!

My mission was to start early and get my miles in and meet these guys at the 9:00 meeting point and be on my way out. Set the coffee and clock for 4:30am. That did not work out as the wife woke up around 12:30midnight to watch movie’s and stuff. Can’t turn that down! My wake up time got pushed to 6:30am. Packed, sorted and out by 7:00am and since the Ortega’s have been getting worked on with 30-minute delays, I did not want to chance it, so I drove out to Corona to start my trek up the dirt roads. It’s actually the same distance [30 miles] for me to start at the Corona side or the Silverado side. As it is quicker to the Corona side, I would start there to come across the mountain to meet up with the riding party or at least that was the idea. Fog, fog fog… It was foggy the whole way! At times, it was only five bike lengths visible and I could only muster up like 24-28mph! As I made way up to the cross over, the fog started to peal back. It was spectacular to see the fog as it looked like flowing water!

Total miles: 112
Dirt miles: 47

Happy Easter – gotta go hide eggs! Post picts tomorrow!
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER

GCRad1 screwed with this post 04-10-2007 at 08:35 AM
Old 04-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #54
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fog City Photos!

OK, took longer than expected, but here ya go! Photos from the little quick outing this past weekend.

For you 950ADV fans, you know what this is... replaced the stock plastic radiator protectors with some metal! OK, so it's aluminum.
KTM Hard Equipment Aluminum Radiator Protection
part #: 60035040100

Some new meat for the back:

And some new meat for the front too:

OK, now we are ready to roll!

This is where the start of the climb from the Corona side. To the right just down the little gravel road dumps out into the new housing area - not so well marked, but it's there - Skyline Drive.

The mountains in the background are coved in fog. I was hoping to have the hills pop through...

With the fog clamping the driving distance and speed to a mear 24-28mph, provided plenty of time to look at the little things along the way:

it's "froggy!"

silly super-bird pose:

it's an old TMRm'zine thing...

The post card:

Wish you where here! Even if it is foggy, a day out on the bike is a day out on the bike! A great day to be out on the bike!

Fog-dust-soup-slushy:

Then, like out of no-where: poof, the fog is pulling back, more like pouring back and was amazing to watch it swoosh across the mountain.

So I make it all the way across and a bit behind on time as I wanted to be at the Silverado post office / cafe by 9:00am, but at the fog-speed I was traveling put me off by maybe 20-minutes. Figured these guys where apart of the group, but quick questioning lead to a "nope" - fired off some images anyhow KTM-brother!:

I headed on down to the pavement and met my crew and turned around and rode back up, snapped a quicky of my buddy TG-DRZ:

And then the rest of the ride crew for the day:

Quick view of the crew at the middle gate cross over:

Some more fog:

And we make way for the top to the multi-towers:

TG-DRZ got some new bark!

The KLR found the ultimate lookout!

Please come back here on a clear day if you have not already! award winning view!

OK, no more photos - I was an hour behind on my target home time and I am on the mission to get off the hill.

hit the pavement and check the dirt milage:

47 miles in the dirt is not so bad for a quick outting!

Total trip milage 112miles - garage door, round trip back to garage door!

LOVE MY KTM 950ADV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one small short not so abusive day on the rear tire:

I would like to have a 12-foot high stack of these as I could so easily waste one of these each day out in the dirt!

The reason to rush home:
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER

GCRad1 screwed with this post 04-09-2007 at 10:50 PM
Old 04-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #55
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

2UP and over SaddleBack:

This past Saturday April 14, 2007, I gave my 11-year old daughter her first ride [dirt] on the 950. We've done the around the house tarmac stuff, this time we had just that, the time and she was ready for the ADV. Both Daughters had gone across a few times in the Subaru, but this time it was two-wheels and two up!

We came up on all these guys:

Saw this big potato bug or something with legs and crawling:

We made it across from the Corona side to the Silverado side.

They have great hambergers there!!!

89-miles round trip and we both had a great time! She is ready to go again!
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER
Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #56
drzfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thumb

Great ride report and photos! Thanks for posting! I'm new to the DS scene, and am setting up my new bike and will be exploring these same trails soon. I think is is wonderful that you are able to bring your daughter along for the ride........is there a bike in her future??
drzfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #57
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Saddleback Night Run June 1st, 2007

It's been a while since I've been out on the bike - work / family / life has been busy! But it just got to the point where I was like, OK - gotta' go ride and hit the dirt - even if its in the dark! So I made the plan to ride after work and headed for the local hill!

I went in off the Ortega Highway and got lucky there as I forgot about the road construction going on and the massive waits as they have sections where it is one-way traffic while a lane waits. I got through on the moving side with no wait! So luck was already on my side as I wanted a little dirt time with some light before dusk, dust before dusk! Off Ortega and up toward Blue Jay campground to the "big white gate!"

My little camera just does not capture the color as you see it, maybe it does, just does not seem to translate it as you see it. You all know what I am saying here, hope you get the idea.

Made good time to the top! Ten seconds to pose!

The top is where the "multi-towers" are.

One day, I promise I will drag along a tripod and take better images. In the mean time, this is the blurred view looking out west onto OC.

ADVrider style postcard! This is in Silverado side of the canyon.

Garage door up - transit - dirt - transit - garage door down = 137miles round trip! Not a bad way to spend a Friday NIGHT!!!
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER
Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 AM   #58
Papelats rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Nice thread!!! That was like salt in my wound!!! I WANT TO LIVE IN MOUNTAINS!!! But my backyard is flat like a table...

Thanks for post!!!
Papelats rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:37 AM   #59
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

SaddleBack Night Ride @ with TGDRZ

OK, since TGDRZ missed Friday night ride and since I will be working over the weekend - then leave on Monday and gone for the week... yea, you guessed it, had to toss in another Quicky-ADV ride!!! So TGDRZ & I sorted the plan to ride Wednesday night after work!

I swore I was not going to take photos and we would just ride, but I could not resist once I found out that TGDRZ had never ridden down the Corona side. Our plan as to ride from the Silverado side out to Corona, dinner and back with the back portion in the dark.

Super TGDRZ is a mere spec in the big wilderness of the Skyline ridge route. It would be just a little while further for things to get very interesting. As TGDRZ came up to me, I told him to go ahead a take the lead for a little while and get some fresh clean air and thrill of blazing sight unseen trail for a little while, instead of trailing behind me and eating the NineFiddy dust storm. So, TGDRZ comes across a big dear. Not too big of a deal out hear, we see dear all the time... just around the next ridge I notice TGDRZ quickly coming to a stop on a downward slop than opens to a meadow on the left. I slide up next to hear and I hear him say, "What is that!" Before he even says it, I see what he is looking at!!! Approximately 150 - 200 yards out to our left, sitting very authoritatively and slyly next to a bush, strategically in the shadows, sits a rather mountain lion!!! YES - a mountain lion!!!LARGEyikes First one we have ever seen out here! Yea, yea, yea, I’m reaching for it, the ol'trusty Bart Simpson Spy Camera - but the mountain lion is a bit irritated by us already. We are rather shocked that we even have the still moments that we have with this creature! My hand is moving, and then he moves, very graciously, in one fluid motion pounces off down the raven. The mountain lion reveals just how large as we get a full side view!!! Astonished, this is one LARGE cat!!! Length: MAC TRUCK!!! We where on the throttles so quick out of excitement, but at the same time, not so excited to tread forward as the road actually turns left at this point and would put us even closer to the location to where the cat sat, and this was no cat in the hat, not was this a HD-Digital version of Jurassic Park - THIS WAS THE REAL DEAL - right here in the OC, yeap, ORANGE COUNTY HAS WILD MOUNTIAN LIONS - we where not playing around!!!

We ride around just three more ridges and we are at the "big white ball" dappler 989thousand and whatever this soccer ball pigramige deal is.

We are just giddy about the mountain lion we just saw!!! OK, now we are hungry, let's get off the mountain and find our own food before we become food, just standing around!!!

Over dinner, yeap, more talk about that big ol'putty cat!!! But we are going back the same route we came! Just faster... OK, well not maybe faster, but with more haste and with more awareness and with more wide eye view of the sidelines.... We've all recently seen that new National Geographic special on the big cat attacks and how they jump you from the back, and from up high. There are plenty of spots in the area we saw the cat for such outcroppings overlooking the road - thick with vegetation - not on the menu for mr. mountain lion I bet!

Last look back at Corona and all forward and no stopping from here!

I like this little dimly lit spot back on the Silverado side. We joke about how no one is going to believe our story without the photos, but we know, we where there and we will always have an eye out!:
1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #60
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,900
Southern California RAWKS !

Riding there is like being in dual sport heaven.

Of course, I've found yet another dual sport heaven here in southern New Mexico.

Really enjoying your photos, especially the low-light, dawn photos.