User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #46
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Yep. Me too.

And post pictures, but only the ugliest ones. I'm very hopeful that the reaction to styling will mean I can get mine at a more reasonable price.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #47
wufdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
450 K in and having a blast. Front wheel comes up easy, not smooth for me but that will come in time. No more gsxr 600 throttle snap it just comes up with a quick roll on the throttle. I dont know how to post pics yet but I am working on it. I think I will go to the mt60's later this summer and try it out on some easy trails or dirt roads.

My first impressions, I think its a sexy ugly bike, get a lot of looks from ppl, revs nice, different than my old gsxr and a hell of a lot more fun. Speed bumps are super fun now too, will take a little longer to get used to and I am guessing it will feel I wee bit different once it has broken in.

p.s. was shocked when they handed me a breifcase with the FISCHE parts catalogue and the tool kit, owners manuals in 5 different languages, there is a ktm wrench / bottle opener in the tool kit and the tools are much better quality than I would have thought.

xd helmet will take some time to get used to also. Not used to the wind grabbing my head at 140k when changing lanes and shoulder checking.

Went over some bolts today (two wheels mentioned that thumpers are notorious for loosening them) and just tweaked some down a tad, non engine bolts. Just the ones that I could see that held stuff to the bike.

Well once I get some more pics and figure out how to post I will do so, till then anyone waiting for this thing I would say its worth the wait:)
wufdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #48
wufdog
Adventurer

690 sm toronto

Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #49
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
690 SM Looks

You are right -- it look much better as it comes out of the crate and sits on your porch. The mufflers are not intrusive at all. You have a winner there!

Thanks for getting the pix out and let us know more about how it works (that is, the level of vibration compared to the old LC4 or to the RFS engines, what sort of mileage you get running it the way you should, what comes loose or breaks, etc.)

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #50
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Thanks. I'd like to know what your gas mileage is too.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #51
wufdog
Adventurer

Its not parked on the porch for a long time. Just when I am not riding. Put 1000 k on in 7 days, first service here I come and now she is broken in.

As for gas mileage, did a 200 k trip today and my reserve light hasnt come on yet, hope that answers your question.

Taking her in monday so I can get the once over and an oil change then at the end of the week gonna go on my first adventure ride with TWOWHEELS on his klr. Known him for a long time now and he just temporarily moved back to toronto for a season, he is pretty quick on that klr, had a tough time keeping up with him when he took off on me in heavy traffic on the highway. After the oil change I can take the engine up to 7800 rpm and then see if he can get away from me. Looking like the top speed will be around 200 - 210 kph with my 225lb fat arse on it, but I will let you know if I ever get there. Loving it, soo much fun.

Ride on, got my camping gear this week and it will all strap on nicely on the holy shit passenger handles.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #52
Window_licker
n0b

Oddometer: 233
Test rode the 690Sm a couple of days ago. I was hoping the engine was going to be make up for the ugliness but it really dissapointed .

Felt marginally faster than my fettled 640, I was expecting more. Sounded terrible as well. The lack of exhaust noise and vibration helped to make the bike feel characterless and a little boring.
The handling was excellent , plenty of feel and a good front end . Very good.
The fuel injection seemed to be fine, I had read about issues with it but didn't have any problem at all.

The bike actually looked worse in real life than in the pictures, the cockpit view looked cheap and nasty, the stuck on instruments looked like an afterthought.

Overall, I thought it was trying far too hard to be different, I would recommend a test ride to anyone as you would be daft to buy before . I personally wouldn't swop my 640 for one , the 640 has the raw feel I like from a supermoto .

I also tried the new 990 superduke as well, now that was absolutely superb. It handled , looked and sounded great ( even on the standard cans)
I just have to test ride a Ducati hypermoto now and I will make my decision, but the SD990 is going to be very hard to beat
Window_licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #53
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufdog

Taking her in monday so I can get the once over and an oil change then at the end of the week gonna go on my first adventure ride with TWOWHEELS on his klr.
I'm interested in how much "adventuring" you're going to do with those wheels/tires. Really... I am. I'd also like to get some feedback on how that seat treats you after spending some time on it.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #54
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70
I'd also like to get some feedback on how that seat treats you after spending some time on it.

A proctologist just finished examining a KTM owner and said "good by Mr.
Smith, see you after next week's ride". The nurse walks in a few minutes later and
has a form for the Proctologist to sign. The nurse sees that he is
trying to write with his rectal thermometer and informs the doctor of his
mistake. He exclaims "oh man, some asshole just stole my pen!"

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #55
wufdog
Adventurer

Well my first adventure ride. Not alot of off road, practicaly none except for some gravel (real soft and kinda scary with the stock tires) Gas mileage was great, got 150k on $6.89 cdn dollars.

Thinking of changing the tires to Perelli MT60's for a bit better grip on dirt roads.

Took my 35L drybag containing, tent, thermarest, stove, bag, shoes and my flyfishing gear, all in all a good trip.

(PROBLEMS)
Last day and we left the site with me pumping my Magura clutch to build up some hydraulic pressure, seems like the air bubble fairy attacked the 690sm during my sleep, quick jaunt with a somewhat tricky to use clutch to a bicycle shop to get some magura mineral oil about a teaspoon and I was good to go.

Seat isnt the most comfy on long trips but my ass just needs to adjust, so keep the laughing faces coming, you just hate the bike because you can. all in all I love it, and as I said this is my slow integration into thumper land from pure sport bike and yah my dream stable would contain a 690sm and a 690 adv.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #56
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
Have you had two up on it yet? How is the passenger area for fit/comfort? Can an average 180-200lbs. 6 footer carry a passenger with any comfort or is it a tight squeeze, pushing you forward into the dip, locked in one spot? The downslope of the seat worries me, do you get the dreaded roll & tuck syndrome with the nutters? Thanks.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #57
Pelon
Dia Por Dia

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey
Luckily, the 690 is a fuelie and no jetting required. The new motor is a six speed with a slipper clutch standard! I loved the few laps I got on it at the Streets of Willow Springs last Monday.
The new motor is super smooth with the counterbalancer design, the buzzzuzzzuzzzuzzzuzzzzzzzzz is gone!
How do you like that slipper clutch? I've ridden with 'em before, and liked it, but felt like it took a little skill out of the equation. Then, I bought my 07 CBR600rr and wished it had one.
Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #58
Indian-woodsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
It would depend on how dead the battery was. If its totally flat it seems like it may be difficult due to said fuel pump issues, but not impossible. It doesn't take much current to run the pump so its quite possible that if the battery is just too low to crank, but not totally flat that it would be possible to roll start, or at least as possible as a carb'd bike.

That said, it seems pretty unlikely that you'd need to worry about such things. I have 57k miles on my sport bike (fuel injected) and not once has my ability to roll start it been of concern to me (it would just drag the back tire anyway....).
Maybe this solar charger or one like it will help in a camping situation.

http://www.bridgwater-electronics.co...le+Charger.php

My thoughts are wait till the enduro comes out and get a set of motard wheels because making a motard an offroad bike is not as easy as making an enduro a motard.
It's only marginally better or worse than a thousands cheaper xr650r in many respects. The Honda is a proven podium winner in the major offroad events it enters. It is rock reliable and easy to get parts for. It is lighter by 50 pounds.
A simple couple changes for honda six speed trans, electric start, fuel injection and a styling session and it will still outsell the ktm and put more hondas on podiums than ktm. Hodaka of the late 60's early seventies put a lot of bikes on podiums because it was cheaper than husqvarnas, hondas and yamahas. Funny to see honda is the new hodaka to the ktm.

Indian-woodsman screwed with this post 06-09-2007 at 08:32 AM
Indian-woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:30 AM   #59
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427

I just can't past that fugly Beek. someone has to come up with a mod for that.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #60
wufdog
Adventurer

2 up

Well I did my first 200 k 2 up ride. It went ok, took my drybag setup and mounted it widthwise for more room, I had enough room and so did my passenger, but I didnt have too much to adjust just kinda locked in one spot, im 220 and 6' and my passenger was 5'3" and 110 lbs. May be a better fit and all that when I figure out how to get the gear a bit further back.

Will post pics of the gear asap