Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
JackL OP
T plus 16 months

Oddometer: 435
JackLs Thailand/Cambodia Adventure

A brief background & then on with the pictures.
In the spring of 2005 I took a volutary layoff from the game company I was working at because of diferences with my managers. They pictured themselves as decent managers & good people & I pictured them as elephant like buffoons.

After a few months of hanging around partying to much & living off the government dole I tracked down a buddy who I thought was in India, hoping to hook up with him & ride a few months. It turned out he was back in the US & even in Seattle. So I loaned him my house & took off for where he had been: Thailand.

I arrived in Bangkok with a few thousand bucks in my account & a vague idea of buying a bike & riding up north to the Chiang Mai area. I found a great old place on Sukhumvit Road, Hotel Atlanta.

I met up with a friend of a friend, Jon,

& he showed me the sites, like Soi Cowboy,

After a few days in Bangkok & way too many hangovers it was time to head north. I had determinded that it would be easier & cheaper to buy a bike in Chang Mai where I wouldn't have to worry about registration paperwork.
I first caught a train to Ayutthaya, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayutthaya_%28city%29) a previous capital of Thailand. I stayed just across the river from the train station at Tony's Guest House.

The first night I just wandered out from the guest house

The next day I got up & rented a bike for the day ($1.30). Much of Ayutthaya is a UNESCO World Heritage site, like the Giant Budha

Here's me checking out the sites.

It's also famous for the Reclining Budha

and other UNESCO areas

Ayutthaya sites on an island in the convluence of a couple rivers & there are only two bridges in or out of it, but many ferry crossings & boats.

and of course, the locals

at the bar

Next, by overnight train to Chiang Mai.

JackL screwed with this post 10-07-2008 at 11:30 AM
JackL is offline   Reply With Quote