Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #151
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,197
Maybe we can get a sticky in GS spot looking for one in the name of science and the common good?
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:14 AM   #152
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I got a call from BMW in response to my email and expressed my dissatisfaction w/EWS, and recommended that they make it an option. The guy on the phone said that this feature cannot be disabled.

Also talked to the dealer who said that my ring ant went bad and that this was the first time they've experienced this. One is on order from Germany, which will take at least 10days to get here.

The dealer also said that EWS cannot be disabled. Actually, I have a technical background, so I'm taking this to mean 'cannot be reasonably disabled'.

I was thinking about ordering a spare, but $160 is a little more than I thought it would cost.
adamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #153
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr
I got a call from BMW in response to my email and expressed my dissatisfaction w/EWS, and recommended that they make it an option. The guy on the phone said that this feature cannot be disabled.

Also talked to the dealer who said that my ring ant went bad and that this was the first time they've experienced this. One is on order from Germany, which will take at least 10days to get here.

The dealer also said that EWS cannot be disabled. Actually, I have a technical background, so I'm taking this to mean 'cannot be reasonably disabled'.

I was thinking about ordering a spare, but $160 is a little more than I thought it would cost.
Even if you had a spare..it would do you no good in the field..you need the computer to reset the EWS...

Oh.. and "cannot be disabled" is most likely the same thing as "your final drive oil is for life and should not be changed" which is what I was told by a dealer
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #154
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Even if you had a spare..it would do you no good in the field..you need the computer to reset the EWS...

Oh.. and "cannot be disabled" is most likely the same thing as "your final drive oil is for life and should not be changed" which is what I was told by a dealer
Thanks for the reponse; I was wondering what else I needed in the field other than my spare key taped to the spare ring.

I was told the same thing about the drive oil by my dealer. Makes me a little nervous to leave it in there until the end of time.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #155
Petrol Ignitor
Cyclenut

Oddometer: 33
Eh? Anyone had the key ring replaced more than once?

I got the dreaded EWS warning on my 07 R1200GS at a little over 1000 miles. Had the key ring replaced and have put another 3000 miles on since without any problems. But I still wonder every time I shut the beast down if it will start the next time. Has anyone had to have the key ring replaced more than once yet?

Im hoping all the failures are just from a bad batch at the manufacture like in some recall issues with other products, i.e. automobiles. If that were the case you would think BMW would have a recall to motorcycles built during a certain time frame and replace the item like the automakers. I does make me wonder!

KLP
Petrol Ignitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #156
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote
Maybe we can get a sticky in GS spot looking for one in the name of science and the common good?
+1

Let's keep our eyes peeled. I'm sure if we can find one for Doug's engineer, he'll be able to pull it off.
761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #157
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
$124 at Chicago BMW, still not cheap but at least if a person had a spare you would just need to get the bike to a dealer to have it installed/programmed and you wouldn't have to wait a week or two for them to get one in.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #158
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote
Adding another sticky to GSpot, we might as well call it GSticky!

The only way you're going to get a used BMS-K computer from a GS is if someone totals it. I would suggest that inmate dugmar contact the kind folks at www.beemerboneyard.com and inform that that he's looking for that part and at the next opportunity, they would buy one from a wrecked bike. And maybe the rest of us could keep our eyes and ears open in case we spot one being sold and contact him too.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #159
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
$124 at Chicago BMW, still not cheap but at least if a person had a spare you would just need to get the bike to a dealer to have it installed/programmed and you wouldn't have to wait a week or two for them to get one in.

Barry
Good point.
761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #160
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay, so who's gonna be the 1st (or 2nd) to go out and buy a spare ring antenna?

I was thinking the same thing about it occurring twice, but figure if it had, that person would be pretty vocal, assuming they've seen this thread.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #161
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Okay, so who's gonna be the 1st (or 2nd) to go out and buy a spare ring antenna?

I was thinking the same thing about it occurring twice, but figure if it had, that person would be pretty vocal, assuming they've seen this thread.
it wouldn't do you any good...
once the new one is installed by your dealer (the old one needs to be DRILLED OUT).... it has to be "ACTIVATED" by the shops computer

ain't technology grand?
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:35 AM   #162
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
it wouldn't do you any good...
once the new one is installed by your dealer (the old one needs to be DRILLED OUT).... it has to be "ACTIVATED" by the shops computer

ain't technology grand?
Ahh but then I wouldn't have to wait weeks for a new one.... like I am right now.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #163
BriKielyGSman
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
EWS Immobilizer antenna threadfest

I met Larry at the BMW dealer in Edmonton. On his way back from Alaska, his EWS warning came up on his display and he wasn't going any further. Cost him $900 to get his bike hauled to the nearest BMW dealer. He camped overnight right on the property and was ready to go by 10 AM the next morning.

The part is very easy to replace- does not need programming and cost is about $200.

I have already ordered mine to keep it handy just in case. May come in especially handy in remote areas

Also know that the stock bolts that hold this thing in are NOT removeable- they need to be drilled and tapped and replaced with 6mm Allen head bolts. I got the dealer to do this to mine after they finished up with Larry's. Took 10 minutes and they didnt charge me for it. Good sports.

Larry was a little peaved that he will be missing some of the July 4th celebrations-he was from Oklahoma I think.

Thanks for the Tip Larry!!!!

By bckgs, shot with Canon PowerShot SD200 at 2007-07-04

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #164
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Discussed at length here, although the general concensus seems to be that you do have to reprogram the computer at the dealer...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242336
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #165
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Another EWS victim...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=1#post4890916
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote