ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
SCflyer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
BMW power connector for regular Zumo 550

I'd like to try to connect this with the BMW style plug in at the front power supply (07 GSA) and was wondering if anyone can recommend a place to get one. I called my dealer and asked about trying to get the female connector by itself (looks like I can just connect it to the included power cable) and they didn't know what I meant. They were busy though.

Any suggestions?
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
astro
seek light

Oddometer: 2,293
I just took a look at the BMW 550 GPS unit this morning. Dealer just got one in this week and doesn't know much about GPSs.

The curious thing for me was that although the BMW power plug had 4 pins ( I assume that two were for power and two for audio or other) where it plugged into the base unit, the BMW connector end only had two wires running into it.

Not sure how audio connection occurs then ?? Bluetooth?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
I have an '07GS and wanted to do the same thing and determined that I couldn't. Evidently the BMW connector on the bike recognizes the BMW GPS then puts voltage to the hot lead. I checked pin voltages on the plug and they were low or non-existent so I went directly to the battery. I also tried sticking wires into the power connectors on the plug and connecting them to my Zumo 550 and it got no power. Dan
Old 08-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,348
I'm a little confused at the other replies.

The R1200GS's all have a GPS power lead that is zip tied to the steering head. Its pretty well hidden. There you have 12 volt key switched power. The power cable for the new BMW Zumo will plug right into it. This leaves 2 questions for me. Is the BMW Zumo mount the same as the Garmin Zumo mount? If so the BMW Zumo power cable will work just fine the Garmin Zumo. The other question is if BMW will even sell the BMW Zumo power cable separately? I can tell you that the BMW cable for the NAV 3 was $128. Of course you can easily just strip off the connector and wire your existing Garmin Zumo hard wire power cord into the BMW GPS power at the steering head.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
The Zumo motorcycle power cable is just 2 wires and a fuse on the hot side, no plug. The plug zip-tied to the steering head is the one that I couldn't get power from. Dan
Old 08-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
SCflyer OP
Beastly Adventurer

I looked back at the photos mastiffdog2 had posted of his BMW Zumo and I swear it looks to me like there's only 2 wires coming from the power plug that goes to the bike (red and black). If it's just power that can be hardwired into as mentioned in another thread and here, I don't understand why the BMW Zumo cable wouldn't work? I'm not saying that dtop1 is wrong but it just seems like it should work. I'll ask mastiff to put the picture/part # here and we'll see what we can see.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #7
CDS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
I hooked my Zumo 550 up this weekend using this method. First call your dealer and order this plug below. It will cost you about $25 dollars. It is called a repair connector. This connector will keep you from having to cut the plug off of the wiring harness by your steering column. It will plug directly into the power supply. It is important to only use wire #1=Brown(Ground) & wire #3=Hot. Just plug wire #2 off.

Part #PN is 83300413585

This is what it looks like connected to the factory power supply. This plug is not powered all the time. There is a 30/40 second delay before it shuts down after you switch the ignition off.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
SCflyer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Not to sound like a stupy (anybody listen to John Boy and Billy ) but is there a wire labeled #3 or color coded (red) perhaps to denote the "hot" wire? Can't tell from the photo. But thanks for info. Alot cheaper and exact solution I/we were looking for!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
CDS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
The wire is numbered and the connector/repair plug, has numbers on the outside and on the inside where the pins connect with the factory plug. #1=ground #3=(Hot)
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,068
First post here, so bear with me. I used this same set-up last weekend on my '07 GS1200 with the Zumo 550 and found it very easy. The adapter plug was $23 from the dealer. The part number listed in the thread is correct. The yellow leads are labeled and #1 is ground and #3 is hot. The CANBUS lead is on the left side of the steering head, under a few wraps of electrical tape. Remove the cover and plug it right in. I read elsewhere that BMW originally placed this plug on the right side of the steering tube in earlier models so keep that in mind. The whole mounting, soldering process took less than an hour.
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
SCflyer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks to all for the help. I've got one on hold for me and the Z should be here by the end of the week
Old 09-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
DustyJacket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS
I hooked my Zumo 550 up this weekend using this method. First call your dealer and order this plug below. It will cost you about $25 dollars. It is called a repair connector. This connector will keep you from having to cut the plug off of the wiring harness by your steering column. It will plug directly into the power supply. It is important to only use wire #1=Brown(Ground) & wire #3=Hot. Just plug wire #2 off.

Part #PN is 83300413585

This is what it looks like connected to the factory power supply. This plug is not powered all the time. There is a 30/40 second delay before it shuts down after you switch the ignition off.
Woo-hoo!
I just finished adding that $24 part to power my old Magellan Meridian Color GPS - works like a champ. Power shuts off 60 seconds afte the ignition, though. But, so did the Canbus powerlet I was using.

Thanks for the info! My RT is cleaner looking with hidden wiring.

DustyJacket screwed with this post 09-02-2007 at 06:37 PM
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,151
It works, I'm using the bmw "repair pigtail" to connect to the GPS connector on my GT and the wife's F800.

If you don't have one, the other option is to go to powerlet.com - they have some good stuff, I'm using their combination handlebar mount for a ram ball/BMW power connector on the F800 - it rocks.
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #14
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,312
about to wore my 260 to the gs too

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS

Part #PN is 83300413585

Saw this on a different thread frm philspace . Since I am a wuss with wiring anyone got suggestions for wiring the plug to an sae connector so I can remove the gps and mount and just cap the sae connector when not in use?
Pics would be awesome!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #15
sheikyabooty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
[I have hardwire my276c to the battery, but the power is always on even when the bike is switched off, so I have to disconnect it everytime i turn the bike off. Is there anything I can do about it, maybe there is something similar to what the zumo has?
sheikyabooty is offline   Reply With Quote