Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 04:49 AM   #106
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
On my last adventure --- I learned the hard way about seal savers and not using them....

BTW, GASPIPE -- If you sell her let me know first.
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #107
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,350
I've been so danged busy lately, I just haven't had time to update things here.

The 950 ADV is still undergoing some suspension tweaks, but I think it's getting pretty well dialed in for what it is. Slightly stiffer front springs. I had .57's in there and I'll probably settle on .60's or so.

The 950 Super Enduro has been slow to get modified, but I have been working on it.

I'm setting this bike up to be somewhat modular. I want to be able to do some long haul waaaay out there gaspipe type rides, but also be able to strip down and simplify the bike for weekend and day rips.

To date, I have modified a Black Dog Cycle Works 950ADV skidplate to work on the SE. It's a simple modification. Cut off the front lip, drill two holes, bend the front mount holes a bit, and bolt it up. I'm going to use the extra space to carry stuff...... Rumor has it that Black Dog CW is coming out with a production model of the skid plate for the SE thanks to the efforts of Neduro.

I also added a set of Moose handguards. The Magura bars that come on the SE are a really nice bend - I like them, but require a special taper handguard clamp. The regular 1.125" for ProTapers doesn't work really well, so be careful what you order.

I have been waiting for a 2-1 exhaust from HT Racing, but it's still not done. My plan was to use the space previously occupied by one exhausst can to accomodate an extra fuel container. Additionally, I plabbed to use the CJ Racer rear cargo plate to accomodate an additional fuel container. I can, when needed, carry over six gallons of fuel onboard. The rack and spare fuel tanks will be integral to the dirt bagz side frames I'm building from 5/8" tube. The whole rack/pannier system will unbolt as a unit with eight 8mm bolts, so the bike can go back to lightweight mode.

Since I'm running dual cans now, I only have the single spare fuel tank on.

I'll be back home tomorrow, and will be finishing up the panniers this week.

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 09-10-2007 at 03:20 PM
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #108
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,406
Thumb Soft Bags

Did you know the SM950 racks and soft bags (625.12.020.000, 625.12.025.000),pg 147, 07 spring catalogue, bolt on to the SE? That is what Idaho Joe runs and it is slick. I wanted it for my 990 ADV but that is a no go
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #109
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
...I also added a set of Moose handguards. The Magura bars that come on the SE are a really nice bend - I like them, but require a special taper handguard clamp. The regular 1.125" for ProTapers doesn't work really well, so be careful what you order...
Cycra U-clamps are shaped specifically for different bar types and provide a secure mount.

Surprisingly, I had to use a set designated "Magura bend" on the OEM Renthal bars on my 990! Tried the "Renthal bend" clamps first but the taper just didn't match the bars. (Perhaps made by Renthal but with a KTM spec'd Magura-like taper?)

(yeah, the cat had to jump up to see what I was doing)
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #110
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a
Did you know the SM950 racks and soft bags (625.12.020.000, 625.12.025.000),pg 147, 07 spring catalogue, bolt on to the SE? That is what Idaho Joe runs and it is slick. I wanted it for my 990 ADV but that is a no go
Yup, looked at them, but I already have a couple sets of Dirtbagz and like the way they work, and they have enough capacity to keep me going indefinitely. It'll cost me just a couple bucks to fit the hoops in steel.

Hair of the dog....
Old 09-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #111
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

The Moose/Enduro Engineering/(the rest that use the same manufacturer) make 7/8", Protaper profile and Magura profile clamps. Depending on the bar bend, certain profiles work better than others - that's for sure. Good observation.

The sturdiest clamps I have seen yet are the ones Emig makes. They clamp the hardest and are the most robust I've had yet. But I didn't have any left on hand. And they won't work on the 950/990 ADV due to the size and the fairing/dash. They will work on the SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
Cycra U-clamps are shaped specifically for different bar types and provide a secure mount.

Surprisingly, I had to use a set designated "Magura bend" on the OEM Renthal bars on my 990! Tried the "Renthal bend" clamps first but the taper just didn't match the bars. (Perhaps made by Renthal but with a KTM spec'd Magura-like taper?)

(yeah, the cat had to jump up to see what I was doing)

Hair of the dog....
Old 09-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #112
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I'm going to try Fastway hand guards with Bonz bar clamps that also connect to the hand guards. I'm hoping that this clears the Kaoco thottle lock.

I'm also using Pro Taper CR Mid bend bar.
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #113
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,820
How the hell did I miss THIS thread?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #114
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV_Poor
I'm going to try Fastway hand guards with Bonz bar clamps that also connect to the hand guards. I'm hoping that this clears the Kaoco thottle lock.

I'm also using Pro Taper CR Mid bend bar.
I've got the cycra handguards on mine and it clears the Kaoko throttle lock.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #115
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
I tried the Cycra hand guards on mine and they fit but I want to use the Bonz mounts so I can build a bar to mount switches on. I've done this on my other dirt bikes and I like it.

http://www.bikebonz.com/images/prod/h_g_m/h_g_m.htm

I mount a piece of angle alum to the holes.
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #116
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
You've got the OE clamps, right?

With the Emig clamps and risers, you cannot use the long handlebar clamps for your hardguards, or you'll have to limit the steering stop so much that the bike will have a steering radius like a limousine.

Emig bar clamps - these use an 8mm bolt, and are much stronger than the 6mm bolt versions. I've never used the Cycra 4 bolt versions since my bars get very cramped for space.

With the big billet triples, there was no way to fit a decent set of triple clamp mounted handguards and clear the fairing and instrument cluster.

Hair of the dog....
Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #117
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,954
You are correct, I guess I was comfused by the pics. I thought you were stock still. Sorry.

I have the stock triple clamps, w/ the KTM cycra handguards. They have held up well to the falls I've taken so far. This set up clears the windshield and I have the limiters turned in as much as possible, before the fork tubes hit the frame, to get a tighter turning radius.

[quote=gaspipe]You've got the OE clamps, right?
[quote]
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #118
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
You've got the OE clamps, right?

With the Emig clamps and risers, you cannot use the long handlebar clamps for your hardguards, or you'll have to limit the steering stop so much that the bike will have a steering radius like a limousine.

Emig bar clamps - these use an 8mm bolt, and are much stronger than the 6mm bolt versions. I've never used the Cycra 4 bolt versions since my bars get very cramped for space.

With the big billet triples, there was no way to fit a decent set of triple clamp mounted handguards and clear the fairing and instrument cluster.
Crap! That's my next thing on my list. I hope the Fastway guards clean when I can afford the new clamps.

Thanks for the heads up Gaspipe.
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

Old 09-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #119
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

I looked at it, scratched my head, and rather than bending up a set of racks, I figured out I could modify existing stuff to work. I modified a set of XR650L hoops to use on one of my XR650Rs - because of the rear rack system I had.

I got out the tape measure, and sure enough, a set of XR650L brackets will work with minimal modification.

So I cut up a pair of XR650L dirtbagz hoops, and welded 'em back up. It's super easy to modify these brackets to work on the 950 Super Enduro if you're running a luggage rack. I used 1" angles that bolt to the underside of the CJ Racer rear rack - this rack is so sturdy I had no issues using it to support the Dirt Bagz hoops. A single 8mm grade 12 bolt holds each end.

I wanted to set this up so I can remove the whole rack, pannier hoops and all easily - and all said and done, it's six bolts to remove it. Takes less than two minutes.

I now have soft bags.....

Hair of the dog....
Old 09-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #120
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Great work Gaspipe .

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote