Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
dieseldave24v OP
Wish I was riding

Oddometer: 424
Thumb DR650 valve adj. first service

DR 650 first service

So after leaving the dealertip with a price quote of 300.00 dollars for the first service I made my way to the parts counter for a filter and some oil. I put this together so everyone who does not know how to do this gets a clear picture of how easy it really is......

First thing I did was drain the old oil.

While the old oil was draining..."remember to hold the bike straight unitl it is done." I removed the filter housing cover with a ratchet and 10mm socket.

Once the cover was off I removed the old filter and instaled the new one. The open end goes towards the engine and the spring goes between the cover and the filter.

Instal the drain plug, but not to tight so it does not strip the soft aluminum threads. Add the oil. 2.4 qts

After starting and checking the oil level it was time to tacke the valve adjustment. With the tank, side panels and seat removed I was able to gain acsess to the valve covers.

The valve adjust ment is VERY simple. Remove the valve covers and the inspection plug on the side of the magneto cover.

The serivce manual says to turn the engine by removing the center plug an the mag cover and turning it with a socket. I choose to put the bike in 3rd gear and turn the engine that way. either one should work just fine. Remember to remove the spark plugs to make the engine easy to turn over. Ensure that the engine is on a compression stroke........you are looking for a line with a "T". align this symbol with the center of the hole.

Now you are ready to adjust the valves....Get a set of feeler guages and check the clearance between the bottom of the rocker arm and the top of the valve stem. Intake and exhaust can be done at the same time.

If adjustment is nescesarry rember to hold the adjuster while you tighten the jam nut or it could move with it.

Put the valve covers back on and install everything you removed. You are done! See how easy that was.

Next thing I did was lube the clutch cable and throttle cables. Tighted all the bolt on accordence with the service manual. The first service really is this easy. Took me about two hours and I was taking my time. hope this helps someone

The Inventory
2007 DR 650
2006 KTM 640 Adv
1992 DR 350
1998 XLR 200 Yes you read it correct.
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote