Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Eh? HELP! What is wrong with our bike?

Mexico:
I wake up hungry and had to go find food. Colonia Vicente Guerrero is a nice small village with several restaurants. I walk up and down the main street and pick a place where a lot of the locals were eating. Huevos rancheros and coffee. I feel like a new man. Further up the street I get some fresh squeezed OJ to go for Heidi. We enjoy a lazy slow morning at the motel knowing we are in Mexico and all is good.

We’re on the road by about 10:00 AM. The sky is clear and the temperatures are perfect for riding. I almost need gloves but opt to go without knowing it will be getting warmer throughout the day. Cruising south we soon see the Pacific on our right with beautiful sand beaches and dunes. This is where we were hoping to make it to yesterday but were glad to have stayed the night in Colonia Vicente Guerrero.

Just before the road turns inland we stop for gas. A couple miles later we see a road sign saying 328 km to the next gas station, about 200 miles. If we aren’t experiencing a head wind or aren’t traveling too fast that’s about our range before hitting reserve. I’m glad I bought that 4.2 gallon tank from Ebay last year, without it we would be hosed.

The winds were strong, hitting us at an angle of about 100 degrees. The road is twisty, we were averaging about 50 MPH. I knew we were getting better then 50 MPG and should have no problem making it 200 miles.

We’re cutting almost straight across the Baja from west to east, from the Pacific coast to the Sea of Cortez. The road is super curvy and mountainous with constantly changing vegetation. At times it was just rocks, than 50 foot tall cacti and huge boulders.

Up and down, twists and turns. The highway here is super narrow with zero shoulder and steep drop offs on both sides. There is no time to be thinking about anything else except driving. About 30 miles from the last gas stop we’re sailing along and BAM! The bike just dies. No precursor, no indication anything was wrong, the bike just quits. This is the same thing that happened about 60 miles before Yuma. Luckily we coast to a tiny pull off on the side of the road. Before coming to a stop I tried popping the clutch a few times, nothing. We dismount. Heidi and I are looking at each other with indescribable emotions in our eyes. What the _ is going on here. We wait a few minutes and try the starter. The bike fires right up. We waste no time getting back on the bike and continue on. There is no way I can describe what is going through our minds. This is only our second day in Mexico and we are having big problems with the bike. The road didn’t get any wider or straighter and I had little time to think about what this means. We just continue on. There is nothing on this road for the next 170 miles and we need to continue. The thought of turning back to the last town didn’t even enter our minds. I’m not sure why that is. Maybe we just couldn’t accept the severity of our situation. We dreamed and planned too long for something like this to stop us now.

170 miles, the bike is running perfect. We make it to the gas stop and the road to Bahia de Los Angeles. After stopping and dismounting Heidi wanders off to some shade. It’s hot here. After filling up, Heidi walks back to the bike. I see a look in her eyes I’ve never seen before. She was freaked to say the least. It started hitting me to. What the heck is going on here. I think about the fried blinker wires we repaired in Yuma. I was just kidding myself in thinking that had anything to do with the bike dying the first time. There is nothing hot on those wires unless we are blinking and even then the battery is isolated from those wires through the blinker module. The worst thing that could have done was to fry the module and that has nothing to do with the ignition.

Fuel stop:

42 miles down a dead end road to Bahia de Los Angeles. Heidi has read about this place, it sounds just like the kind of place we like. Small village on the Sea of Cortez with fishing and sailboats. We plan on spending a few days here and sorting out our situation.

More desert, mountains and cacti:

There is no traffic and the road is straight at times. I have a little time to think about what the heck is going on with our bike. I have a theory now about why the bike is starting back up after quitting but it doesn’t explain why the bike quits.

Again I’m not making any of this up. We are tooling along less than 20 miles from the Sea of Cortez and the bike just quits again. We coast to a stop, dismount, take off our helmets and look at each other. This can not be happening!
I stay calm, confident my theory about why the bike starts back up is correct. A few minutes later I hit the starter and the bike is running as if nothing is wrong. We hop back on and continue on. Bahia de Los Angeles here we come….

We made it. In my mind I bend down and kiss the Sea. This is what we dream about, places like this.

We cruise around the village and find a place right on the water. A little expensive but we are right on the beach. I pay for three nights.

I practically run and get beer and tequila. Heidi says we need to engage in some high level discussions. Tequila, Fresca and beer. Let the talks begin.

View from our room:

Later that day 5 dudes arrive in a van from LA, California. These guys are fired up and ready for a good time. They’re here to fish but aren’t going out until tomorrow. While we were all down on the beach, a fishing boat comes to shore and we all walk over to see what they caught. Their hold was almost full of fish. The guys ask the fisherman how much for a few fish. About 5 bucks. The guys dig in the hold and throw out 6 Parrot fish. They bring the fish over to the restaurant at the motel and have the cook clean and cook them using their homemade salsa they brought from California. The guys invite us for some fish tacos, Veracruz style. The fish was excellent and these guys are super friendly. I don’t think I have ever heard a group of guys laugh so much while just hanging out.

HELP! What is wrong with our bike? Why does it start up again after waiting just a few minutes? Are their any mechanics out there who have experience with these symptoms? No indication of any problem then the bike just dies. Two incidents in one day now. This is SERIOUS. We can’t travel for 2 years in Latin America like this. We have been lucky so far. All three incidents happened with no traffic around and we had an area to pull off the road safely, but just barely. HELP……..!

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote