Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Taste of the ICT

A Taste of the Idaho Centennial Trail

It all started with one of our weekend Jeep trips; we were headed to Murphy Hot Springs to see what damage the recent range fires have caused. We gassed the Jeep up in Bruneau and then headed out through the Air Force test range and the turned south on Three Creek Rd.

One mile from Clover Crossing I noticed the sign leading to the Bruneau River and realized this would be a good way to ride part of the Idaho Centennial Trail.
The Jeep stops, “Lets do something different, do you want to see some of the ICT?” Nancy nodded yes, “I am sure this road will intercept the trail in a few miles.”

Very quickly after starting the access route we spotted some deer grazing.
I realized that this would be a great “one day ride” for some one wanting to ride one of the best dual sport roads in my opinion. The only thing it is missing is sand; I didn’t say it was perfect.
I started logging the route with the GPS, I have a set of waypoints that will guide you through the are with ease.

After a few rock gardens, washouts and

cattle crossing

we found the first of the ICT markers.

Looking to the south you see the Jarbige ridge, snow is already falling.

The ground was tacky from previous rain, even a few puddles. This was making me want to be on my dual sport.

The ICT markers are still standing at every major intersection including some other signs

designating wildlife study areas and then a few more miles down the trail there is

“This Old House”.

I can’t imagine what this must be like to have lived here,

sitting around the old fireplace, “It’s kind of cold and can you put more cow chips on the fire? That’s better, thanks!”

you’ve got to admit, the view isn’t too bad!
Most of the route was Jeepable except one area, ruts big enough to tip the beast over, momentum and rubbing shoulders with some sage brush helped clear the washed out road.

In and out of several more rock garden areas and through a few ridges and then

you drop down into the Bruneau River and cross in to a settlement called Winter Camp.

The crossing is located around some abandoned buildings. The ICT continues up the river bed for a mile or so, there was a trailer and some new farm equipment down stream so we exited the canyon at one of the two access points from he northern side and quickly made our way to Three Creek Road about 18 miles from the Bruneau Overlook.

We headed back into Bruneau and could see the smoke of another widlfire but did see the flames. I clocked in a little over 95 miles for the loop.

From my experience this is the perfect dual sport road.

It has a number of challenging areas that are not too difficult for those new to the sport and also offers a challenge for any one wanting to pick the pace up a bit. The Cowboy bar in Bruneau offers a great burger and their steaks are a good deal, the Rib Eye has got to be a good inch or more thick.
Experienced riders will do well on the big dual sport bikes but I wouldn’t advise trying this without some real knobby tires.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:48 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,367
Looks like a good place to take a dirt bike! We'll just pretend you did!

Thanks for posting
Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

This gave me a good chance to take notes and log the trail.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,767
This is an area I am going to try and explore a bit next spring. Been through there a bit on four wheels and pavement....need to see it from the saddle.

Thanks for the recon.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsman
This is an area I am going to try and explore a bit next spring. Been through there a bit on four wheels and pavement....need to see it from the saddle.

Thanks for the recon.
Much of the northern ICT is not ride able on anything but a lightweight dirt bike. This stretch starts in NV and continues to the trailhead at the north fork of lime creek, approximately 130 miles of mostly rugged dual sport roads. It gets very hairy after that, been there and done that.
This is a great way to do a day trip out of the Boise area to experience the ICT. After the southern part you might as well just wander around Idaho.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

Algonoshow and I rode the loop today, we averaged 39 mph and finished the thirty miles of ICT in less than an hour. Its a great practice and just enough to get your blood going.