User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
blackbirdzach OP
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Discovering the abandoned Dog River Motocross Track

I've have been wanting to get out there a loooong time, but never knew who to ask permission from until recently. I bumped into the owners a while back (thanks to the help of a good friend) and they said I could go anytime I wanted...and if I bumped into anyone else down there, just tell them "the owner" said it was okay. *Sorry, don't feel right plastering his name on the net* I hadn't talked to them in a few weeks until Thursday when they showed up an bought a Mini Cooper from me. It was a nice suprise. We sat around and chatted for over an hour about the track, racing, and bikes.

I had originally made plans to go visit my folks in Cherokee, NC on the Nighthawk this weekend...but our mechanic at the office forgot to leave his toolbox open so I didn't have the tools to put my wheels and tires back on the bike. Sux. But oh well, there's always the KLR!

I grabbed my camera, backpack, camera, jacket and some other odds and ends and set off.

Since I was on the KLR I decided to make a couple of other stops along the way. I spotted some property for sale earlier in the week. The ad said it had two houses on it. Sweet! I'm always in for checking out some old abandoned piles of rubble!

After a couple of miles...

...I arrived at my destination

The drieway was really short and in pretty rough shape in places

It came to a dead end pretty quickly

I didn't spot the house right off the bat since I was looking for a standing structure. Opps. It had collapsed a long time ago.

I turned around and walked back to bike..

Oh well, back to the pavement. I rode another 3 or 4 miles

On my way to a set of powerlines I wanted to check out, I spotted this little road that follows a creek. It was only about 200 yards long. Bah.

I did a U-turn and continued on my way. There's a lot of short dirt roads around here...but not enough to really keep you entertained and there's usually quite a bit of pavement inbetween them.

I finally got to the powerline section and entered through a neighborhood

There were a lot of loose rocks scattered around and I spun the rear Kenda quite a bit on some of the climbs. It wasn't long before, it too, came to a dead end.

That's I-20 down there.

Oh well, back the way I came. Again.

I plodded along and thought I'd check out one more spot on the way. There's a series of gas lines on the way and I thought I'd give them a quick look.

Turned out to be a pretty cool find. Nothing really exciting, but just a nice easy dirt trail.

After maybe three quarters of a mile I came to the exit.

It dropped me at a soccer complex. I knew exactly where I was since I played soccer here as a kid.

The soccer field are that way...

The adventure is this way..

It was an unplanned nasty entrance back to the gas lines. It looked solid, but it was a bed of dirt and grass on a pile of poo soup.

I spun my through to a little meadow but was forced to turn around once I came upon some "private property" signs.

This was the trail I made coming in...and it was the only way out.

I asked the Kenda's what they thought. "No problem!" So off we went.

I got back to a main road and continued on my way. One of the roads I hit was called Dorset Shoals Rd. The people that designed it accidently came upon one of the greatest racetrack desgins ever. This road on a Sportbike...or any bike with decent horsepower and sticky rubber...is a riot. Lots of highspeed sweepers. The only bummer is all the connecting roads mean lots of traffic and cars pulling in and out.

Lots of good elevation changes. Both on the straights and in the turns.

You can't see the smile under the helmet, but it's there!

Finally I arrived at the entrance to the track. This is what has stopped me for a couple of years...but no longer!

It was a nice, smooth dirt road on the way in.

I was caught off guard when I arrived. I didn't expect it to be as wide and as along as it was. It was a serious track!

I made a slow lap taking pictures and just sorta feeling it out.

This was taller than me and I'm 6'5!!!

Lots of jumps; single and doubles.

This will be the last weekend I can come here until hunting season is over. Which is okay since I've got the Nighthawk for the street and there's always riding to be in North GA.

I didn't have a tripod so I just set the camera up with some rocks and sticks.

This was my first real day of offroading I've done on a KLR and I was very impressed. Sure it takes more concentration to push around, but it really wasn't THAT bad.

I didn't stay long since I still needed to get over to Sweetwater Creek State Park to collect the memory card out of my wildlife cam.

I hit the interstate and caught up to a trailer pulling three vintage Yammi motocross bikes. They were all in amazing shape.

That's all for this one! Once hunting season is over I'll be hosting a ride to the track if anyone wants to go!
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Dr. Mordo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Very cool. That track looks like fun!
Dr. Mordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,260
Looks like a fun day on your KLR! Thanks for the report and pics
Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,255
So is this place west of Atlanta also? Nice find.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Pastieman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Great report!
Pastieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Great report!

Looking at the pictures, I don't think you are the only visitor of late.

basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #7
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458

I'm trying to picture what you do with the cam to get pics to look like this...

Is the track "one way"? It'd be a bitch to meet someone head-on.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote