User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #31
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 561
good work

I am really enjoying your report and excellent photos !!
Keep it up, fellas.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #32
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tury
Sí México is a crosslet of so many diferent cultures, that even for us mexicanos seems that in some places is as if we are traveling in another country. We are proud to share our traditions, food and history and to say " YES ,IT IS SAFE TO TRAVEL IN MÉXICO "

More and more riders travel through México alone or 2, from North America, South America as well from Europe." BIEN VENIDOS ".
Yes Mexico is a wonderful, beautiful country with some of the warmest, friendliest people I have ever met. I have never felt threatened in any way while visiting your country. I have always been made to feel welcome there by everyone I met. Thank you. A smile and a friendly greeting goes a long way.

And as for the food......
kennyanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #33
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke

You need to quit your job so you can finish this report.
I can see right now I am not going to get this thing finished this week. I'm only on the 5th day of about 20.

It's already past my bedtime so the next installment will have to wait until tomorrow.

Kenny
Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #34
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks LaOutbackTrail, ktrout37, and Chadleys1 for the kind words. Glad you are enjoying it.

Kenny
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #35
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,809
Hey there Kenny

Great report so far.....keep it rolliing!!

I'm jealous........I'd even upgrade my DR to a KLR for that one.

knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:45 AM   #36
Highwayman
Saddle Up

Oddometer: 179
What A Report!

Kenny, this thing is as smooth as silk. The narrative and the photos are right on target and I'm scribbling notes while reading. I'm planning my first trip next April (when, hopefully, heat-stroke will be less of a probability) and all the ADV reports like this keep my mind buzzing. Thanks for taking the time...and take your time.

Mike
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 AM   #37
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,389
nicce pics!

Keep the coming!!!! nice so far.......
Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 AM   #38
battep
Perty

Oddometer: 91
Great report and pics. Keep up the good work..
battep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 AM   #39
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

If you wanted it or needed it, you could probably find it here. Just about everything you could think of was for sale.

Even something for the kiddies. Here ya’ go Dewayne.

Looked like this guy was delivering to the meat market.

Got meat?

Not sure where the rest of the day went but I don’t have any more pics until later that night. We must have had something else to eat but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was. We did stop back at the bikes and checked the oil, lubed and adjusted my chain, etc. Then I went to the internet café to check on Advrider. Later we were back in the room relaxing when I hear music in the streets.

Party starts at about 8:30. See you then.

Kenny
Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #40
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Kenny in front of the pharmicia; an establishment with which he would become very familiar in the coming days.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #41
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
I Hate You!!!

Yes you read it correct. I had my mind all made up and I was to Alaska next big trip, now I don't know. Since I am Mexican and have never been there I REALLY want to go there, but you know how it is, maybe manana I will visit my country.

Great pictures, great story and MUCHAS GRACIAS FOR PUTTING THIS HERE.

Amigos be safe and ride hard

Damaso
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #42
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Callejoneada: A custom originally from Spain in which a group of musicians playing horns and drums leads a band of revelers throughout the city. The group stops occasionally along the way to play and dance in the streets. There is also a Mezcal laden burro with the group and at each stop the Mezcal is served up in little cups with a string or ribbon attached so that you can wear it around your neck between stops.

I had read about callejoneadas before this trip and was hoping I would happen upon one in one of the cities we were to visit. After dinner we retired to our room about 8:30. Dick was ready for bed as we had planned an early departure in the a.m. because we had a fairly long day of riding ahead. It was probably not more than 300-350 miles but with a lot of twisty roads on the way to Xilitla.

I decided to go down to the bar for a beer and maybe shoot a game of pool with the bartender, who I might add, had soundly thumped Dick and I the previous night. As I was ready to head out the door I heard music in the street outside our room. When I could hear the horns and drums I knew instantly what it was. I bid Dick a quick farewell, thinking I might be gone an hour or so and he would probably be sound asleep when I returned, and dashed out the door.

I fairly sprinted around the hotel to the street where I had heard the music and caught up to them at the next stop where they were playing and dancing in the street. There looked to be maybe 75 people in the group.

Here is as short video I took with my camera when I caught up with the party.

I was snapping pics when Carlos strikes up a conversation asking me where I was from and had I ever participated in a callejoneada before. Carlos is on the left wearing the camo cap.

Between his English and my limited Spanish we were able to communicate fairly well. Carlos is from Veracruz and is in town for a solar energy conference. He was there with other college students, professors, and others in the industry from Mexico and all over the world. Here is Carlos with a couple of his new friends.

More of Carlos’ friends. He introduced me to them but I am terrible with names unless I write them down. By the time I awoke the next morning their names had escaped me. Might have had something to do with the Mezcal and cerveza.

Carlos grabbed a cup and began to pour me shots of Mezcal. I had a couple and the band took off again. We walked a couple of blocks and stopped again. All the while the band never stopped.

We repeatedly stopped, danced, drank Mezcal, and walked on for 3-4 more stops.
And the band played on.

It started raining slightly so the last stop was under the archway of the Cathedral. By this time the crowd of partygoers had grown to nearly 200 by my estimate.

Another short video taken under the arch at the Cathedral.

A group shot of some of the professors and students.

My new 4-legged friend. By this time though the Mezcal was long gone.

It was fast approaching midnight and I began to say my goodbyes to my new friends to return to my hotel. I knew I needed my rest for the next day of riding.

kennyanc screwed with this post 10-30-2007 at 08:15 PM
Old 10-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #43
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have another short video that I took at the last stop at the cathedral. It's uploading to youtube and I will try to get it up tonight.

Kenny

Edit: I put the other video in the post above.

kennyanc screwed with this post 10-30-2007 at 08:17 PM
Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #44
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just thought I was going to my hotel….Carlos and my other new friends would have none of that. They were going to a bar to have a few more beers and they asked, nay, they insisted that I go along with them. What could I do? I didn’t want to offend them. Off we go, some 20 odd people, marching through the streets following some person unseen by me to a bar on the NW end of the Parque Alameda. After driving around the previous day looking for our hotel and walking all over town today I actually knew where we were. Dick and I had looked for the Cactus Bar while out walking the town and had been unable to find it. I don’t know if that was the name of this bar or not.

On the way I struck up a conversation with these 2 guys. Paco on my right and Mario on my left were in town for the solar conference also. Paco is a student and Mario teaches at the university in Morelia.

We went in and had a couple of beers…big beers and Mario and this girl started dancing. Man the two of them could really dance. The best I remember she was from Antigua.

Carlos was having a good time as was everyone there.

I was really having a blast with all my new friends.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. The bar closed at 3am and we all headed back through town to our respective hotels. People peeled off at different streets and hotels along the way until there was just Mario and I left. I took this pic as we neared my hotel.

I really had a great time tonight and all my new friends made me feel just like one of the crowd. Everyone, even if they spoke little or no English welcomed me to their country and to the Mexican tradition of the Callajoneada. This night was one of the highlights of my trip and I cannot thank them enough.

The Callejoneada is a unique way to party. If in Mexico and you encounter one, by all means join in the fun. You will have the time of your life.

When I got back to the hotel I was not even thinking about the 6am departure. I was having way too much fun. I would cross that bridge when I came to it. I think I might have awoken Dick when I came in though. He told me the next morning that I was quite loud the previous night.

Tomorrow to Xilitla.

Kenny
Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #45
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
The drive to Xilitla uncovered some of the best motorcyle roads I have experienced in Mexico.

Hour after hour of this kind of curves. After a while my shoulders were aching from all the turns.

Kenny has been wanting to stop at one of the road side food stands.
This one I call "Cafe de chan link fence". Dubious looking at best.
The grilled chicken and vegetables were, however, delicious.

Xilitla turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip. Just amazing.
I'll let Kenny catch up.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826

rous44 screwed with this post 10-31-2007 at 06:19 PM
rous44 is online now   Reply With Quote