Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXRM193
Please, Please,Please tell me that next year on our coast to coast trip, that after a long day on the road, dodging the speeding tickets and the stray bullets from nearby shootings. Battling with the elements and the riding position on our trusty Hardly Ableson`s, that we`re not going to end up booking in to a hotel/motel only to be told no beer.

How will know if it`s a "Dry" state/county????
why not just bring some along
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #17
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Some states are dry on Sundays, except for restaurants.
Some stop selling beer on Sundays around 6pm. Kansas comes to mind, July,2006.
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
LongWays
Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer: 5,142
Just do a Google map search for "County Line Liquor Store"
Old 01-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #19
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG *
Some stop selling beer on Sundays around 6pm. Kansas comes to mind, July,2006.
As mentioned before, Arkansas can blow goat balls. Sober all day Sunday, drunk on Monday...praise be whatever....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I'm not sure if it's still the same, but Hwy 64 in NC between the Triangle area and headed down to CLT used to be really bad. Several counties there fighting off evil spirits....

I remember doing something like an 80 mile round trip out in west TX to bring home some bacon.

SC can also be bible thumping turf.
Hell, IIRC, the county Savannah resides in is dry on Sundays too, 'cept the bar/restaurants.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
KLRoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
If you are really worried about it and you know where you will be stopping you could e-mail or write the counties asking what their alcohol laws are. Many former dry counties are now wet. Most dry counties are still in the old south also known as the Bible belt.
Remember that about 90 % of Americans still believe in a divine being. The majority are Christians. In the Bible belt area the dominate denomination is some form of Baptist church. They traditionally frown on drinking, thus the blue laws.

Many other areas still have restrictions about when you can buy booze. I live in Southern California, it is known as a liberal state, but the bars close at 2 am.

I’m looking at your avatar so please correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t know about Britons but American former marines can find a way to get a drink if they really want one. Then again I wouldn’t refuse to ride through a dry county just because I couldn’t buy a beer. Those are very beautiful areas and you don’t want to miss them.

Yes, you can get real beer, even bitters in theUSA. You just have to look. There are Micro breweries all over the west and in the east. Heck you can even find them in the midwest. You might think about drinking something besides English (British) beer when you are here. One of the best parts about travel is experiencing new things, right? We have had beer makers from all over the world immigrate here and set up business. So experiment and try something new from a local micro brewery. We also have some nice vineyards / wineries too.

I wouldn’t worry about dodging bullets that much while riding through America. It seems that the areas you have to worry about that the most are the larger cities which have tighter gun restrictions. In the areas where everyone can carry a gun people are normally very polite and crime is low.
<
As for speeding tickets, how fast do you plan to ride the Harleys? Many states in the west have speed limits of 70, 75 or 80 miles an hour. Do you really want to go faster then that on a Harley? I own a Harley and I like to cruse down the side roads. I stay off the interstate (freeways) and actually see the country. I’ve meet the nicest people this way. I recommend that you take it slow, stop often and talk to the people you meet along the way, especially in small towns. You’ll have a great time and avoid tickets.

I hope this answers some of your questions and that you’ll have a fun trip. Remember we ride on the right side of the road!
2006 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide * 2003 Indian Scout
What, me worry? Alfred E. Newman

KLRoger screwed with this post 01-14-2008 at 10:36 AM
KLRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #22
EXRM193 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I`m sure we`ll find beer wherever we stop. I just seems a bit complicated to us "Limeys"
I actually quite like "Miller" or is that Canadian??
The plan is to stay off the big roads and get as much scenic stuff in as possible. No idea where we will stop each night. we are going to "Cuff it" as they say.
Hope to stop somewhere and find a gun range. It`s been a while since I shot at something that didn`t shoot back The guys I`m travelling with are ex "Pongo`s" (Where ever the Army goes, the pong goes to;... Royal marine slang)
EXRM193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #23
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Booze-You will not find beer whereever you stop , if it's in the above mentioned bible belt-for example, in KY all the state is dry except where it is allowed, which is the large towns(not many) and most college towns but not all and a few other places, not many. It kinda runs that way as stated throughout the southeast and deep south. Fla is an exception for most part, I think. If you see booze , buy it and carry some along. Just make sure you put it where it is not accesible to you the bike rider as in some states it is not OK/legal to have it where you can get to it on the road.

Guns- In the National Rifle Association magazine there is a lawyer that sells a booklet that lists the gunlaws for USA- by state-it is very complicated! I can carry in my glovebox/tankbag legally in one state and go to jail for the same in another. This is no joke as if you would happen to get stopped for speeding (a reality in all states- thats how they make their $) a gun violation can come with it. Most of us just do as we please with the gun thing , but there are lots of unpleasant stories to go around.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #24
SledgED
dipsh*t noob

Oddometer: 194
A more western bent:

Utah is slightly complicated. All Liquor and wine as well as beer over 3.2 % by volume is sold in the state liquor stores. These stores are closed on Sunday and the beer is not kept cold. They're prevelent in the urban areas around the wastach front, but a bit scarce in rural Utah. There's some very bizarre laws about private clubs (basically bars) which require membership (think cover-charge). And there are Restaurants licenses that must serve food with alchohol sales.... Sounds complicated, but there's still plenty of drinking behind the zion curtain. Some towns are dry on Sunday, but generally you can buy beer at most gas stations and grocery stores especially in the well touristed areas.

In Colorado, gas station and grocery store beer will be 3.2 as well. Real beer (generally kept cold), wine and liquor will be sold by liquor stores (privately owned) which are closed on Sundays.

In Idaho, you can buy all beers and wines at the grocery and gas stations. Liquor must be boughtat a liquor stores which sometimes is located within other establishments (grocery, gas + grocery, etc.) They're closed Sundays closed (even within an "open" business.)

Montana, Nevada, California, Washington and Oregon are straight forward. Same in Arizona, but be aware the Navajo Nation (north eastern portion of the states) prohibits the sale of all alcohol.

It's really not a big issue. I get more torqued about not pumping my own gas in Oregon than getting a drink in Utah.
SledgED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #25
KLRoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXRM193
I`m sure we`ll find beer wherever we stop. I just seems a bit complicated to us "Limeys"
I actually quite like "Miller" or is that Canadian??

Hope to stop somewhere and find a gun range. It`s been a while since I shot at something that didn`t shoot back The guys I`m travelling with are ex "Pongo`s" (Where ever the Army goes, the pong goes to;... Royal marine slang)

It’s a bit complicated to us “Yanks” also. Remember America is a nation made up of several sovereign states, thus United States in the name of the country. Each state has it’s own laws and regulations. This goes for speed limits and such mundane things as parking rules or if you can turn right on a red light (in California you can turn if it is safe to do so).
Miller is American, but I’m not sure that it is beer. You can get a six pack of miller (or even get a 6 pack of real beer) and carry it with you when you are traveling in the south, Utah or Indian reservations. I think that the Navaho Nation may be bigger then England. There are lots of ways to keep it cold, but you are British so if I remember right you will want it warm anyway. (Warm beer and blood pudding I don’t understand). Also the southern backwoods mountain areas are great places to find moonshine (untaxed liquor). Of course you do that at your own risk, the government wants it’s taxes and frowns on the trade.
Firearm laws also very from state to state even more then liquor laws. The least restrictive will be in the south, midwest and west (except left coast). If I were you I’d get out of the east coast before I looked into that part of the trip. Arizona is a good place to look.
One more tip; Don’t call someone in the south a “Yank”. In GB that might be the term meaning American. Here that term refers to a person from the north east part of the country. When talking to someone with the confederate “stars and bars” tattooed on his arm, you would be safer to tell him his mother is a whore then call him a “Yankee”. I wouldn’t recommend either action, it might hurt.
2006 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide * 2003 Indian Scout
What, me worry? Alfred E. Newman
KLRoger is offline   Reply With Quote