User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
Hooksta OP
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
Two week ride question

Wanting to meet a friend a good friend of mine halfway between Lexington, KY and Green Bay Wisconsin and then head West for about a two week round trip to include about half the time camping and the other half in a hotel. I'm looking for route suggestions. We really want to ride the twisty - scenic roads and not be incredibly rushed. We would enjoy a little sight seeing. The big sights may include Yellowstone and maybe Mt. Rushmore but mostly looking for "neat" places to see and visit along the way.

Any suggestions????? If this is too aggressive, would it be worth our while to meet and head Northeast? I've never been North of Buffalo, NY. Looking for the more scenic, enjoyable ride.

Oh yeah...the bikes...I'll be on a 1200GS and my friend on a big ole Harley. Ebony and Ivory, eh????

Thanks!!!
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 991
This was from a 16 day trip from Milwaukee to the southwest.
There is a lot to see "out west". Yellowstone is one one of my
favorites places but be prepared, it can snow there even in July.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255558
Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,821
If you head toward Yellowstone , Along the way I'd hit the Badlands and Custer St. park. Don't miss the Needles Hwy. Cross Wyoming and take alt 14 and the Chief Joseph byway toward RT 212, Beartooth Pass. Cross the pass to Red Lodge Montana and do a U turn back over and into Yellowstone's north entrance. From their I'd head for Glacier NP. If you still have time, I'd Finnish up with Idaho 12 , LoLo Pass to to Joseph ,Oregon on Rt 3 Rattlesnake canyon. Turn back East through Hells canyon and slab it from their. I rode a 1150GS and this trip took 14 days starting and ending in NJ. Here are the pics. http://rides.webshots.com/album/2629...Mn?vhost=rides http://rides.webshots.com/album/2630...Yk?vhost=rides

bemiiten screwed with this post 01-13-2008 at 05:24 PM
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
Hooksta OP
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten
If you head toward Yellowstone , Along the way I'd hit the Badlands and Custer St. park. Don't miss the Needles Hwy. Cross Wyoming and take alt 14 and the Chief Joseph byway toward RT 212, Beartooth Pass. Cross the pass to Red Lodge Montana and do a U turn back over and into Yellowstone's north entrance. From their I'd head for Glacier NP. If you still have time, I'd Finnish up with Idaho 12 , LoLo Pass to to Joseph ,Oregon on Rt 3 Rattlesnake canyon. Turn back East through Hells canyon and slab it from their. I rode a 1150GS and this trip took 14 days starting and ending in NJ. Here are the pics. http://rides.webshots.com/album/2629...Mn?vhost=rides http://rides.webshots.com/album/2630...Yk?vhost=rides
If I ride hard to the Badlands....meaning take about two to two and half days from Kentucky, do you think I would have time to make the ROUND trip you are describing above (2 weeks). Don't get me wrong, this itinerary sounds really nice.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,385
Don't know how far south you are meeting your friend, but you may consider catching the Sandhills region of Nebraska on the way to the Black Hills. Nebraska Highway 2 made it on Charles Curalts top 10 list of American roads. Its a different kind of beauty. Route yourself north through Crawford (Ft. Robinson state park) for decent tent camping (they also have hotel style rooms) and a decent onsite cafe. Lots of frontier history here between the fur trade and the indian wars ( Ft. Robinson was the site of Crazy Horse's death). The ride from Chadron up to the Blackhills is some of the most desolate, peaceful grasslands I've ever witnessed.

As said above, WY14 & 14A should not be missed across the Bighorns.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Hooksta OP
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
Don't know how far south you are meeting your friend, but you may consider catching the Sandhills region of Nebraska on the way to the Black Hills. Nebraska Highway 2 made it on Charles Curalts top 10 list of American roads. Its a different kind of beauty. Route yourself north through Crawford (Ft. Robinson state park) for decent tent camping (they also have hotel style rooms) and a decent onsite cafe. Lots of frontier history here between the fur trade and the indian wars ( Ft. Robinson was the site of Crazy Horse's death). The ride from Chadron up to the Blackhills is some of the most desolate, peaceful grasslands I've ever witnessed.

As said above, WY14 & 14A should not be missed across the Bighorns.
Thanks for the suggestion...this actually sounds quite nice. I really want to plan a nice ROUND trip so that we can minimize having to travel the same road twice. I assume that would make it much easier to not notice the ride home.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
If I ride hard to the Badlands....meaning take about two to two and half days from Kentucky, do you think I would have time to make the ROUND trip you are describing above (2 weeks). Don't get me wrong, this itinerary sounds really nice.
Decide what your priorities are and go from their. Try and put whats most important early. Go as far as time or endurance permits. I think this trip was between 6-7k to and from jersey.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote