Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #76
EdOriginal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Simple solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDesmond
Any opinions on which way to do the Cassier and AlCan?? I'm leaving in mid June this year, from Oklahoma. Been planning on going up through Glacier, Banff, Jasper, AlCan and Top of the World to Fairbanks, some time in Alaska and back via the Cassier. Is that the preferred direction, or the other way, or does it make a difference??
Go up the Cassier and come back the Alcan/Jasper route. May sound strange but the view of the Alcan/Jasper route looks a lot different coming back than when going north. Want to see animals, definately Alcan/Jasper Route. For Scenery definately Alcan/Jasper. Want easier smoother roads, definately Alcan/Jasper. Looking for remoteness, Cassier.

But keep in mind the Cassier connects to the Alcan up pretty close the Whitehorse YK. Cassier has a lot more dirt/thus washboard ruts than the Alcan/Jasper. On the Cassier you go about 20-25 miles of pavement then have streaks of 2 to 5 miles dirt. On the Alkan/Jasper I'd guess 85% to 90% of it is paved....most of the unpaved is further up north, where the road subsurface stays frozen 8 or 9 months out of a year. The only significant problem with the Alcan/Jasper were the RV's to pass...but did meet some neat people (at campsites) driving RV's.

Distance is about the same back from either Cassier or Alcan to say Ideeho or Montana. I hope to do it again this year and will go up one way and back the other.

The plannig part is way over blown...just take a mosquito net to put under your helmet, know your maps, get a list of campsites/motels phone numbers along the alcan hwy, good rain gear, a tent and sleeping pad/bag just in case you need it. Also, motels are $100 to $150 when you get to most places in Ak. Plan on $1,500 to $2,000 (for everything, excluding tires and mc maintenance). Most places take credit cards but some places do NOT.

IMHO Artic Circle/Coldfoot is overblown but you gotta do it. Rest 1 day every 6 or 7 days and wash clothes that day, or go on a fishing boat trip at Homer (Hallibut) Do not stop at Pine Mountain campsite, enough said. I'd stay at paid campsites just for security and showers and toilets.($10 to $20), some provide good dinners.

Biggest mistakes people make:
1) Underestiamte the mosquitoes
2) Don't do the side roads.
3) Try to do it 14 days...I would not even try the trip without the time. (You need at least 20 days from Montana or Ideeho, but really need 25 days.
4) Don't take time to stop at Lake Louise...a must!
5) waste time at Banph (tourist town, only worth a quick stop)
6) Don't spend at least 1/2 a day around Jasper to see the wildlife in general area...a must.
7) don't realize the road construciton and roads only allow for realistically doing 300 to 350 miles per day.
8) fail to travel some at night - a local taught me this...it is light until 2:00 or 3:00 am and much of the wildlife is out more at "night", I tried it and liked it...and will do more of it.

I always leave from Missoula or Kalispell, Montana and take 21 to 25 days to and back and always feel I ran out of time. If you live in like Oklahoma add like 3 days, or whatever it takes to get to Montana, and 20 to 25 days there and back...play hookey or sick for a week. It will take a week or two for most to recover the feeling in their butt.

Many many riders go solo to AK and team-up with other riders they meet at service stations or campsites along the way. And depart company if their riding styles and speed are not compatible. I med two guys at a service stations who had just met each other and rode from Kalispel to Whitehorse and at Whitehorse I saw one of them at a restaurant and they HATED each other and departed
company...could simply never agree on destinations.

Tires: Find a place in like Whitehorse, Watson Lake or Fairbanks, or whereever that is willing to change a tire(s) for a fee and receive a tire that you ship them UPS. I did not and was quoted by BMW dealer in Missoula $490 for a single tire, installed and balanced. And you will need one set of tires. I'd highly recommend being safe and new tires at no more than 3/4 used up....in my case it was 10,715 miles from Missoula, Montana to AK and back.

my 2 cents.

EdOriginal screwed with this post 01-06-2008 at 01:23 PM
EdOriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #77
Flyboy08
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Question! I'm doing AK in August 08...I have been Map Sourcing various routes and boy, this is a big ride!

If I was to ship my bike from NYC...where should I ship it to? I was thinking Seattle, but that in itself is 2284 miles and roughly 8 riding days to Anchorage . While I don't mind the 8 days, we were planning on riding the whole way back hitting BC/the Dakotas and UP of Michigan.

If I ship to Anchorage...I'm sure I'll be missing a whole lot had I rode from the Seattle area.

Has anyone shipped to Anchorage from out East? I used Federal last summer shipping to Denver and rode denver to Seattle...Fun ride!

Decisions decisions?

07GSA....Holy Cow!
06 K1200R "Der Naked"....SOLD...too damn fast
05 R1200GS "Das Boot" ....SOLD...already miss her!
01 K1200RSFL "Das Pig"

Flyboy08 screwed with this post 01-07-2008 at 07:10 PM
Flyboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #78
Flyboy08
Studly Adventurer

Well shipping to Anchorage is a bit on the high side!

NJ to Anchorage...$2284
NJ to Seattle.......$633

Quoted by Federal

Guess well be making the trek through BC

07GSA....Holy Cow!
01 K1200RSFL "Das Pig"
Old 01-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #79
j911brick
Squidinator

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy08
Well shipping to Anchorage is a bit on the high side!

NJ to Anchorage...$2284
NJ to Seattle.......$633

Quoted by Federal

Guess well be making the trek through BC
Shipping may not be as bad as it looks. If you figure the gas to drive, hotels, tires, and lost income from work, shipping to at least Seattle may not be that bad.

R1200GSA; Honda Hawk GT; Honda NSR250 SP Rothmans; Honda RS250 GP; Honda CRF250X; Honda 300 Dream.
http://www.bikepics.com/members/j911brick/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CPzKpZYSU

Porsche (several)
http://members.rennlist.com/j911brick/rennlist3_002.htm
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #80
Flyboy08
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j911brick
Shipping may not be as bad as it looks. If you figure the gas to drive, hotels, tires, and lost income from work, shipping to at least Seattle may not be that bad.
I have no issues shipping to Seattle and will most likely go that route. Would be nice to get a little closer though.

07GSA....Holy Cow!
01 K1200RSFL "Das Pig"
Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #81
Delta61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
whiners

Wildwilly is right. DO NOT ride with someone who does not share your same enthusium. Am planning the trip to PB from here in SE Alabama summer of 09 Will be lucky enough to be ridin' with 3 loooong time friends who all share the same riding thoughts. As on all rides carry those things that you know you'll need and keep checkin' the posts here for all those invalueable tips on the little things that a lot of us forget about.
Delta61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #82
j911brick
Squidinator

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy08
I have no issues shipping to Seattle and will most likely go that route. Would be nice to get a little closer though.
If you get right down to it, shipping to AK shouldn't be a deal breaker either. It depends alot on the value of your time and the actual costs of riding through Canada which I'm not sure of. I don't know the price of fuel or how often you plan to camp.

Another option might be to find somebody trucking/trailering thier bike out that way and willing to split fuel and expenses. I have a deal racing deal where I maintain and transport the cars to track and my partner pays all the expenses and just flies in. I though I had the better end of the deal till I figured out what it would cost him to have a regular mechanic fix his car. His time is also pretty valuble so saving a couple days transport time could mean thousands of dollars.

I have not yet decied if I will trailer part of the way when I do my AK trip. Riding might be cheaper, but not by much once you factor in tires and less miles per day, not to mention wear and tear on the bike. I also figure that just from Seattle its still going to be a long ride!

R1200GSA; Honda Hawk GT; Honda NSR250 SP Rothmans; Honda RS250 GP; Honda CRF250X; Honda 300 Dream.
http://www.bikepics.com/members/j911brick/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CPzKpZYSU

Porsche (several)
http://members.rennlist.com/j911brick/rennlist3_002.htm
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #83
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta61
Wildwilly is right. DO NOT ride with someone who does not share your same enthusium. Am planning the trip to PB from here in SE Alabama summer of 09 Will be lucky enough to be ridin' with 3 loooong time friends who all share the same riding thoughts. As on all rides carry those things that you know you'll need and keep checkin' the posts here for all those invalueable tips on the little things that a lot of us forget about.
Delta, I too plan to ride to Alaska in '09. Maybe we'll pass each other, meet up for a beer, ride some together, who knows.... I'm thinking I'll go to Inuvik, instead of PB. Seems like it'l be a better cultural experience than the haul road. I'll be leaving from Virginia, and hope to allow 5 or 6 weeks total.

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #84
txbikerinpa
Retired & loving it

Oddometer: 19
Question PA to Alaska, which route

I want to do Alaska this spring/summer riding from PA on my DL650. I am considering going via Canado mainly because I have never been that way and I have made the trip several times over the years but usually go across the midwest and it is the most boring ride in the world. I understand gas is more expensive in Canada but motels are cheaper, will it balance out? Any suggestions?
TIA
Chuck

The older I get, the faster I was.
txbikerinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #85
Nail24
Lighten up this is Fun

Oddometer: 63
Lost my sidekick

I've been planning a run to AK from middle Georgia and now I lost my riding mate. Is anyone from the southeast heading up through Edmonton in late May or August. I'll be taking my R11S and camping.