User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
A.solgaard OP
Norwegian Monster

Oddometer: 11
Costa Rica father and son gong show

As of yesterday my dad and I decided to go to costa rica next week. Jan 10th. We got flights for an incredible price. So we're flying into liberia, and then likely bussing to san jose to rent bikes as I wasn't able to find anything in the liberia area. Then probably riding one of two routes to begin with, either down to manual antonio, and then up the cost to tamarindo etc, and back through la fortuna, or the opposite, la fortuna to tamarindo down the coast south and then wherever after that. But I haven't figured out how much time that will take us. I know we could do that but I'm not sure how much extra time we'll have. we have a week total. I've thought about maybe riding north to nicaragua, or south to panama, but I know costa rica has so much to offer (I lived there for the summer of 05).
I speak spanish too...

What are your suggestions?
A.solgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.solgaard
As of yesterday my dad and I decided to go to costa rica next week. Jan 10th. We got flights for an incredible price. So we're flying into liberia, and then likely bussing to san jose to rent bikes as I wasn't able to find anything in the liberia area. Then probably riding one of two routes to begin with, either down to manual antonio, and then up the cost to tamarindo etc, and back through la fortuna, or the opposite, la fortuna to tamarindo down the coast south and then wherever after that. But I haven't figured out how much time that will take us. I know we could do that but I'm not sure how much extra time we'll have. we have a week total. I've thought about maybe riding north to nicaragua, or south to panama, but I know costa rica has so much to offer (I lived there for the summer of 05).
I speak spanish too...

What are your suggestions?
Hire a local tour company to guide you furnish bikes hotels and thier experience.
I'm biased since I run motorcycle tours in Ecuador but for a short quick trip to see a lot of the country and not spend your time running up and down dead end trails it is the way to go IMO.

If you are planning on riding the roads then it is a different deal.
Southern CR is very much jungle and few roads.
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
I was just there in November riding a week long tour with the Moto Tours Costa Rica. Check out their website http://www.mototourscostarica.com/ They seem pretty flexiable, you can either rent KTM bikes from them and go off on your own or do the full week tour.

I had a great time and will probably go back again next year and rent a bike from them.
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Moto Tours Costa Rica is based out of Atenas, about 1 hour west of San Jose.
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
merios
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hi I live in Costa Rica and I can help you out with time rides....

From Manuel Antonio to Tamarindo can take around 5 hours ride

From Tamarindo to La Fortuna can take 3 or 4 hours ride

If you have just one week to spend in my country I won't recomend to go to Nicaragua or Panama, because if you rent a a bike isn't easy to take it out of CR, and if your planning to go from Liberia to Panama border can take around 12 or 13 hours ride for example...

I hope you enjoy your trip to this small but beatifull place
merios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
A.solgaard OP
Norwegian Monster

Oddometer: 11
thanks for the info guys..I'm back now, and here's the ride report.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303312
A.solgaard is offline   Reply With Quote