Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #16
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince
sheeeesh, talk about a buzz kill............
Yabbut, Placerville is right between the two!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #17
Rob Dirt OP
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Is there a better time to ride the San Juan mountain pasees? I thought the end of July would be OK, but if I should wait until late Aug. early Sep. I don't think I will go stir crazy.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #18
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by robklx400
Is there a better time to ride the San Juan mountain pasees? I thought the end of July would be OK, but if I should wait until late Aug. early Sep. I don't think I will go stir crazy.

One a normal year the end of July would be fine, Its hard saying this year, we have soooo much snow already. But it could dry up any day now.
I'd say 90% of the passes will be open by the end of July for sure...

If you can be a little flexible on your dates, I'd just wait and see what the rest of our winter brings.
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #19
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
I rode Moab, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef ect. last july and it was miserable. 105 F and very dry. NEVER AGAIN IN THR SUMMER! The San Jauns are the place to be. Check out Engineer, Imogene, Cinnamon and Blackbear pass.
Good advice from the locals about the snow pack. If you can, try to do your ride in september. The San Juans are one of the most beautiful places on the planet in the fall.
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #20
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,106
Lots of wisdom in this thread. I cannot imagine why anyone would venture into canyon country in July, August.

Don't be shy about trusting your instincts and that little voice in the back of your head, and take to the easier dirt roads if you feel things are too taxing. Also, there are highways you can retreat to.

There are very good (too good, arguably) county-maintained roads in canyon country that will be much easier and less demanding than the more rugged two tracks and 4WD roads. These graded roads are quite beautiful and fun to explore. If the roads may get wet, stay off them.

Mountain roads can be clear of snow for many miles long into summer, yet blocked by one darned late-season snowdrift on a single shady north-facing slope, forcing you to backtrack.

Trying to balance the two dramatically different environments is difficult. For my TAT trip in 08 I've opted for the first week or so of September, no earlier due to the heat in Utah. Those dastardly little snowdrifts lurking on shady turns should be gone by then, or passable anyway. Any later, and I risk the high San Juan passes closing by mid Sept.

There is no shade of any kind on the White Rim. When wet, even just a little, it will be impassable. A lightweight tarp for shade is advisable. Would shade you and the bike. No water at all.

I vote for being over the San Juans by Sept. 15, then down to canyon country.

byways screwed with this post 01-15-2008 at 08:36 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #21
geis
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Co In July

CO IN JULY IS AWESOME. A FRIEND AND I DID A WEEK TRIP (NOT ENOUGH) TWO YEARS AGO. STREET LEGAL WR400 AND A XR 650. WE SPENT FEW DAYS AROUND SALIDA AREA CAMPING AND HITTING ALL THE PASSES
WE COULD. TAKE SOME RAIN AND COLD WEATHER GEAR. WE GOT INTO A SNOW STORM AT MONARCH PASS.
THEN HEADED DOWN TO LAKE CITY
AND DID THE ALPINE LOOP. WE PACKED ALL WE COULD AND STAYED OUT ALL NIGHT, FINDING A PLACE TO SLEEP IN AN OLD BUILDING OUT SIDE OF SILVERTON. THE STREET RIDE UP TO TELLURIDE IS INCREDIBLE.
THERE IS A VISITORS STATION IN LAKE CITY THAT HAS TRAIL MAPS OF THE ALPINE LOOP, Engineer, Imogene, Cinnamon PASSES. PLUS OTHERS
THE TRIP TO CALIFORNIA PASS IS A GREAT JEEP TRAIL AND ONE OF THE BEST VIEWS OF THE TRIP. MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE SEVERAL MAPS OF THE SAME AREAS WE FOUND SOME MARKINGS AND TRAILS HAVE BEEN CHANGED, A GPS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA BUT NOT NECESSARY.

THEN WE PACKED UP AND MOVED BACK NORTH AND CAMPED SOUTH OF ENERGY LAKE. NOT FAR FROM CRESTED BUTTE. IF YOU WANT A CHALLENGE TRY PEARL PASS. THERE AS MENTIONED BY OTHERS WE COULD NOT GET THROUGH IN MID JULY BECAUSE OF SNOW, BUT DID MAKE IT PAST THE ROCK FIELD. AND MET SOME GREAT PEOPLE AT THE SNOW BLOCK .
HAVE A GREAT TRIP
geis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #22
harv
n00b

Oddometer: 9
CO trip

Being on the cautious side, I would listen to riders from the Durango, Ouray, Silverton area.
I would stop in Durango and gather info on passes at any scooter shop or camping store. The jeepers will know up to date info.
I would stop in Silverton (free camping along river, just north of town). Good trails and lots of history, plus lets you get acclimated to conditions.
If you want rougher, move to Ouray (or visit on a day trip thru the pass)
August is a good month, lots of trails open and lots of help everywhere along the trails, if you make a boo boo.

Good luck, have fun

harv
harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #23
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
because of all the factors..
i'd say this year mid-sept would a prime month to do it all.

you will positively need a tag! passes are often linked by street legal sections. white rim requires a tag.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote