User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Mike M OP
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,576
Worth the $$ to stay in Yellowstone NP?

I am planning a big loop from Denver through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, Red Lodge, Cody and into Gillette for the MOA National Rally.

I want to travel light on my GS this trip so I will not be camping until I get to Gillette (in Sherpa tent city).

I haven't been to Yellowstone before and am thinking about dropping the extra cash to stay inside the park one night. Can anyone tell me about their experiences at the following hotels in Yellowstone:

Grant Village
Yellowstone Lake Lodge
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel

TIA...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
is mamoth the one at the north end near gardiner?
if so that area is cool. you've got boiling river hot springs you can soak in and the town of gardiner is funky & cool and the road out the north is amazing (out and back ride). you then can ride out the ne corner (emptiest section and my fav) to the beartooth.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
I rode thru Yellowstone on the way to the hillclimb in Billings once and the screaming children and hordes of people really turned me off,driving around in their cages in traffic jams more or less. The park itself is beutiful but too many people for me. Beartooth pass is one of the rear exits for the park and is not to missed on the bike.This was at the end of July two years ago. There are some neat little towns to stay at outside the park.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,050
We (SO and I) have stayed in Grant Village and the Yellowstone Lake Hotel Cabins.

Grant Village is like a motel: Several large (2-story I believe) buildings, with the entrance to your room in the interior. Rooms are motel-like, no TVs, not fancy, but comfortable. You can walk to a couple of places for meals: The Lakeshore Restaurant, and there's another place that has a little store and very casual eating (sort of like a MacDonalds' food-wise, with limited menu).

The Lake Hotel Cabins are adjacent to the Yellowstone Lake Lodge but are not nearly as expensive or fancy. Our cabin was very comfortable. We walked from our cabin to the Lake Lodge for beers next to the fireplace, and meals. The Lake Lodge is just down the road a bit from the Lake Hotel. The Hotel is just fancier, more elegant than the cabins or the Lake Lodge.

We were there in September, right at the end of the season for most of the park, but I had made reservations anyway. If you are going to be there in July, you will need reservations.

Haven't stayed at Mammoth Hot Springs, but it's a neat area.

BTW, none of these hotels/cabins are real cheap. I think there are some cabins that share bathrooms and they are more economical than Grant Village or Lake Hotel Cabins.

Regardless of where you stay, Yellowstone is awesome!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,191
Personally, I would never even consider staying in the park itself. In fact, I think Yellowstone as a whole is very over-rated. Most of your time there will be riding through trees behind an RV...

You'd have a much better time in Red Lodge, Livingston, Dubois, Cook City or Cody.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Mike M OP
Over Here Now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
You'd have a much better time in Red Lodge, Livingston, Dubois, Cook City or Cody.
I plan to stay in Cody the following night after the Beartooth, Red Lodge and Chief Joseph.

Instead of staying in YS, if I pass through, is there a nice hotel in Red Lodge?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Instead of staying in YS, if I pass through, is there a nice hotel in Red Lodge?
The classic place in Red Lodge is the Pollard Hotel. Fantastic Victorian restored vintage hotel with a great restaurant (rack of lamb).

If you stay in Red Lodge, you HAVE TO go see the pig races at the Bear Creek Saloon. Good food there too. Pig races

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Yellowstone Lake Lodge
TIA...
While I've never stayed there, I eat lunch there almost every year. The old style dining room and beautiful sitting room are amazing. I've always wanted to spend the night there, sip a drink, read, and gaze at night coming on. And then drink a warm cup of coffee watching dawn next morning. The sitting room is just too cool.

It's also NOT a complete trip to Yellowstone for me if I don't buy an ice cream cone at the store next to that hotel, walk across the street, sit on the dead log on the bluff, and look out across the lake. I don't know if the ice cream up there is just better, or it's the mountain air, or what. But I don't think I enjoy another helping of ice cream as much as that cone every year. At the least, you owe yourself an ice cream cone there. The view is also pretty stunning.

My wife and son stayed at the Old Faithful Lodge one year. My wife is a "Princess and the Pea" type sleeper (i.e. everythig disturbs her) and didn't really enjoy it though the building is cool. I'd have probably thought it was fine.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
TBar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Now you're talking about my neck of the woods

I grew up in Cody and you're in for a great ride. If you want to stay in Yellowstone stay in the Old Faithful lodge. it rocks. It sounds like you plan on riding north out of the park, check out the falls. If you drp off the back into Redlodge, great town, go back the way you came, back up on to the Beartooths. Follow that highway south west towards Cody (hwy 212). Turn on to hwy 296, that will take you into what's call Sunlight basen. you"ll ride up a bunch of switch backs to the top of Dead Indian, stop at the over look. Incredable You can look out over little sunlight which is off to your left. From there you'll hit hwy 120 into Cody. Go to the Buffalo Bill museum, its has the largest gun colection in the world. and a ton of art and other things. A must see.

From there you head south and it gets pretty flate until the Wind river canyon. Then it sucks until... well denver. You could head east and go over the billhorns, very nice, then down to Casper and home.

Have fun
Old 01-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #10
Mike M OP
Over Here Now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBar
I grew up in Cody and you're in for a great ride. If you want to stay in Yellowstone stay in the Old Faithful lodge. it rocks.
I booked the Old Faithful Inn for my stop in YS. I was going to pass through YS and stay in Red Lodge until I heard that the week I am going Red Lodge is hosting the "Harley Rodeo". I'm hoping it isn't too crowded on Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph.

Can't wait, seven months and counting...
Old 01-19-2008, 02:21 AM   #11
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,370
I have stayed in all those places...in the cabins. I highly recommend them. You can reserve them in advance and even specify whether you want sheets/pillows/blankets. That's what I did and it worked out great.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
mick
speedtrippy

Oddometer: 3,818
Stay in Yellowstone

I've never stayed at the lodges only because money is an issue. Yellowstone is a facinating place that I never grow tired of. One day if money was'nt a problem, I'd stay at one of the lodges on Yellowstone lake.
I worked on the lake one summer and I have so many great memories. I still go several times a year.

"People don't understand what I'm doing. But it's not for the lack of me telling them about it".
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

gardiner is also a cool spot to stay & party for a night. ask around for cabins but consider if it's high season.
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
I booked the Old Faithful Inn for my stop in YS. I was going to pass through YS and stay in Red Lodge until I heard that the week I am going Red Lodge is hosting the "Harley Rodeo". I'm hoping it isn't too crowded on Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph.

Can't wait, seven months and counting...
the beemer will walk all over a harley anyday on that road. it's supper twisty up and down so those turds will be going slow as hell.
Butler Maps website: