Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #376
ducwad
Livin' the dash

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by araspitfire
Here's how I loaded the bike for going down:

Al,

Where did you get the cold weather handcovers?
1992 Ducati 900 Superlight
ducwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 AM   #377
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducwad
Al,

Where did you get the cold weather handcovers?
I actually made them myself... When I finish them I'll do a post here... (as well as the wind screen extender thingy that I'm surprised no one's commented on yet...

Over here in Europe there are people selling them on the UKGser forum (search for the word 'muffs'), and I've heard you can order them direct from Italy... But I decided to have a go myself... I didn't stiffen them up enough though, and they flapped at freeway speeds... made getting my hands back inside awkward, so I took them off after the first day going down...

As it was so cold coming back up, and I'd lost a winter glove... I inserted a length of plastic landscape border in them with some duct tape to keep them open... Used them for all 3000 kms home and they made summer gloves in near freezing conditions (with heated grips on low) perfectly comfortable.

I plan to quilt them to make them permanently stiff enough... also... If you look up this post a ways, you will see I have my Garmin GPS remote mounted on my left hand-guard... I plan to insert a vinyl window in the LH hand one so that I can still change zoom on my gps with the twitch of a finger...

After the trip, I'm totally sold on Muffs... I won't be replacing my lost winter glove... And I rode through 5 degree C rain on the way home... the heat from the grips was enough to keep any water I got on the gloves cleaning my visor and stuff... drying fast enough to have dry hands at all times...

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #378
ducwad
Livin' the dash

Oddometer: 339
muffs

Thanks for the tips. I have a pair of the 'new' hippo hands that I tried on my ST4 but din't like them becuase it was too hard to get in and out of them on the move. They weren't realy designed for that bike, though. Maybe I'll have to give a go at making some, too.
1992 Ducati 900 Superlight
ducwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #379
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Not a 1200... but oh well

Online Videos by Veoh.com

Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #380
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Oil Cooler Protection
This was a great idea. I actually had a piece of the gutter guard in my garage.
My install:
1. the gutter guard

2. the product sticker

3. the cutout

4. installed with 3 zip ties

Thanks for the suggestion!
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
The Home Depot/Lowes gutter guards $2 plus/minus
Cut to fit...

1200gsceej screwed with this post 01-02-2008 at 09:25 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #381
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej
Oil Cooler Protection
This was a great idea. I actually had a piece of the gutter guard in my garage.
My install:
1. the gutter guard

2. the product sticker

3. the cutout

4. installed with 3 zip ties

Thanks for the suggestion!
-ceej
Very nice, now get some of that plastic paint and colorize it, yellow, black or maybe both!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #382
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Very nice, now get some of that plastic paint and colorize it, yellow, black or maybe both!
Just plow through a swarm of bees.

TA-DAH!
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #383
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
I made one for my buddy Ol Badger; his GS is silver/black so he was going to get the black paint. But yellow ....? Thanks for the prodding, Jim!
-ceej
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #384
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by araspitfire
Back on topic here...

Shows the gland connector and my accessory plug velcroed on for ease of handeling

Al...
Al

Why are your micatech's fitted with those power connectors? did i miss something in the text? to power your laptop or for accessory brakelights?

I've always though adding a strip of amber and a strip of red led's (like in this link to webbikeworld: http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/m.../led-light.htm would be a nifty idea!

Shane
NZ

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #385
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
the power is for charging stuff in that space.

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #386
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
CONJECTURE HERE, AND SO MANY OTHER FORUMS....JIMBO....THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION....DOES THE LIGHT SCATTER OR IS IT WELL FOCUSED AND USEABLE?
My friend Kermit came over and showed off his newly colored Hella FF50 Lights.
I thought it a good opportunity to compare lights on each bike, so the following is my demo on my garage door.

HID Low beam only

Stock Low beam only

HID Low and High beam

Stock Low Beam (Note, Kermit has removed the cover on the tip of the bulb for better light).

Kermit's "yellow" FF50, painted with craft store spray stained glass window paint.

HID (left) and stock, both High Beams, with yellow FF50s on the right.
As you can see the beam for the HID light is slightly more scattered, mostly horizontally, but has a very similar line and height. I am very confident that the HID wont be blinding.

This is an example of a cold flash to pass. The High Beam HID was dead cold, and I flicked it on. When warm from recent use, it is VERY much brighter on Flash to Pass mode.
Also, for those concerned about excessive flood of light outside of the beam pattern, here is what you get:

Virtually identical to the stock amount of scattered light.

Jim

PS Just a note, these are unretouched photos, and the camera made some adjustments based on the amount of light. The HID lights were significantly brighter than the pictures showed, but if you look at this picture:

You can get a better feel for the differences.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #387
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

I have always disliked my old GPS mount. It was not very stable, and the GPS was partially covering the Tach. So, instead of a Migsel mount like Kermits that cost $150+ (beautiful workmanship and nice unit by the way), I decided to copy the idea, but do it on the cheap!
So, old mount:

So, instead of spending big bucks, I am running out after my recent home purchase, I decided to make my own. Perusing the hardware store I cam acriss this 3/8" thick shelf bracket.

This is a piece of what was left. I cut the one side to length (5"), and the short end to just long enough to thread safely, 3/4" from the bend outside radius. I drilled and tapped out the short end to fit a standard $7 Ram Mount I had lying around, then covered it all in liquid rubber to prevent rust, and scratches on the framework of the bike. Were I to do it again, I would paint it, and cover the lower parts in foam tape for protection. It would look a little better.
I used my TT cockpit cover and longer bolts to secure it under the cover.

Here you can see it peek out of the bottom under the TT cover. You could easily use a U-bolt, or a smaller flat piece of metal to hold it in place.
A few other angles of it:

I intend to reroute the wires, but it will have to wait for the tank to come off again since the wires are secured under the tank.
The yellow arrows show the two mounting bolts through the TT cover, and the blue arrow shows where I formarly had the GPS bracket mounted (it is designed for a Powerlet Plug).

This is my view of it. Right in my line of sight, without blocking any of the instruments, or the road. IMHO the perfect GPS position.

Total cost, $15 more than I already spent. From scratch, with the 2XXX garmin locking mount, wiring kit, and RAM components, about $70.

Jim
Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #388
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Nice job Jim - Honest pennytech to make something functional and permanent.
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #389
Stanza
R1200GS Mmmmm

Oddometer: 156
Some of my PennyTech Mods for my R1200GS

Also some other ideas for using the available storage space onboard

First up is the BACKPACK SEATBAG

This is the little backpack (daypack) that detaches from a larger backpack I used when I went to the USA

I made some straps with the opposite ends to what was attached to my little backpack, sat and thought for a few hours trying to figure out the best way to attach and route the clips / straps to each side and here is what I came up with. Simple and can be left on the bike.... it doesn't flap around in the breeze and the spare extra length of the strap allows for stuffing the backpack fuller ..... and the clips still reach the backpack.

Also I can / could place the backpack above something else this way and what ever is under the backpack is neatly secured as a bonus. Or vice versa I can remove the seat using the inbuilt rack under the seat and shorten the straps on the bike if needed. It was worth the drinking of rum and coke and the couple of hours fiddling ... as I ended up with a very versitile solution to carrying things before I purchased the top box I currently have on the bike.

But the seatbag / backpack still works with the top box for extra storage / carrying capacity when I need it.

Backpack straps tuck inside the back of the bag when not needed / fitted to the bike. Once off the bike, I just clip the straps to the bag and hey presto a normal backpack again!!!

It even has a carry handle up top if you don't need to use it as a backpack.

To make it waterproof I use another backpack cover I had laying around, Just stretch it over and hey presto again

Oh and a neat tip ..... grab yourself a cheap key-ring / carabiniere (spell?) clip thingy......clip all your zips together to stop them opening down the road and you loosing the contents of your bag. I clip it back to the bag when not in use.

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.
Stanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #390
Stanza
R1200GS Mmmmm

Oddometer: 156
Next up is FIRST AID BOX
Here is my Little tin box I found at a $2 store.... it has some random capitol cities of the world written all over it and a old style "jam jar" lid closing mechanism. The words actually look pretty neat, seeing as the GS was meant to travel the world :-) London, Paris, New York etc etc haha

It is mounted using the top box bolts that attach the top box plate to the standard rack. I just punched 2 holes thru it and mounted the nuts inside the tin. Not perfect but it works...

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.
Stanza is offline   Reply With Quote