User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Tusker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
TAT West to East?

My dad and I would like to ride a portion of the TAT at some time in the near future. He is in southern MO, so we were thinking of picking the trail up in northwestern Arkansas and riding east for a few days, then turning around and returning the same route. The TAT maps from Sam Correro are east to west and he strongly discourages anyone from following them west to east.
Has anyone done the trail with these maps west to east?
If not, are there other similar maps that we can get that will work west to east?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Ethiopia Trip 2010
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
That's the nice thing about maps...they work in any direction. The roll chart though is one-way unless you backtrack or re-write your own using the east-west roll chart as a guide. Doable but time consuming.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Or....

Just plot the route in Mapsource and ride it however you want.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
roc104
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I am looking to do the same thing West to East from NV to CO...My only question was if people thought it would be worth redoing the roll charts to support this direction. After much thought I dont think it would be worth it...AND it would probably only cause me more confusion since i would mess them up while trying to rewrite them
roc104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
PhilLynot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I did most of the trail last year. I would not want to ride out there without a very good gps. Something along the lines of a zumo or 478 with all the waypoints programmed in and topo maps for the surrounding areas loaded as well.

I did not use any roll charts. I just used mapquest to load 500 waypoints onto my Quest 2. This worked pretty well. Even with the maps and gps I still managed to get lost quite a bit. Sometimes a road was blocked, sometimes the gps maps were off, etc. The bottom line...shit happens. I know that without a gps I would have been lost A LOT more and it would have wasted a lot more time.

It's irritating to got lost on paved roads in the middle of nowhere...it's far worse to be lost in the Nevada desert or Oregon forests. That's dangerous.

Once you get the waypoints loaded into the gps, it would be an absolute cinch to ride it west to east.

Good luck. ...if you don't buy a gps, I'd at at least get Gazetteer detailed county maps for all the western states.
PhilLynot is offline   Reply With Quote