Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
FixxiT
Lunitic Fringe

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVODude

While i was at the dealer swapping out my tires the parts guy wanted my TKC's badly, he claimed there are two versions of this tire,one made in Korea and my version which were made in Germany. (i dont know if this is true...anyone? Beuller?
BTDT

Yes, manufactured in both places. I have had bad luck with out of round TKC-Korea's...3 in a row
Look a little different...compound feels different..rubber didn't appear as black as the German TKC's...
Thats what made me look & I noticed the "Korea" branding.
As much as I love the TKC's..I've been turning away from them..its impossible to specify country of manufacture when ordering.
Although I have not had the opportunity to purchase them from a BMW dealer.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
AVODude OP
"Fu Manchu"

Oddometer: 138
Interesting, a parts guy who knows his stuff. I thought he might be full of crap. Thanks for the confirmation.

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixxiT
BTDT

Yes, manufactured in both places. I have had bad luck with out of round TKC-Korea's...3 in a row
Look a little different...compound feels different..rubber didn't appear as black as the German TKC's...
As much as I love the TKC's..I've been turning away from them..its impossible to specify country of manufacture when ordering.
2009 GSA "Fu Manchu" (my third GSA)
Builders of the first BMW motorcycle for the SEMA show
AVODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
This issue only applies to the TKC's right - NOT the Trail Attacks that I just ordered right?
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #19
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,064
I have had the Trail Attacks on since last October. Absolutely love them. Here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279736

http://www.varaderoforum.com/cgi-bin...5709638;start=
Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #20
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

ContiTRAIL Attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE
I pulled the trigger earlier today on the "TRAIL ATTACKS" since they were designed especially for our type of bike and is a direct development from the Conti Road Attack which was rated #1 by both UK Bike & Ride Magazines - thanks to all for your positive input it helped to push me over the top !

Happy to report that these tires Attachment 161609 have lived up to expectations and are a huge improvement over OEM - they are excellent in dry/wet/braking

Cheers,

1LIFE2LIVE screwed with this post 12-05-2008 at 09:29 PM
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #21
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
I have been running them for the past 6 months, and I've got 8000km on them so far, with very little wear. I am very, very impresed with them.

Here's my little ongoing test:

LINKY

Now for a discussion on pressures with them!

I've run them at 2.5 bar front, 2.9 Bar rear loaded and had excellent wear and feedback. Unladen I found the front worked well at 2.2 - 2.3 and the rear at 2.7. I weigh 100kg, and run a top-box but it's usually empty.
Thoughts??

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_GS
I have been running them for the past 6 months, and I've got 8000km on them so far, with very little wear. I am very, very impresed with them.

Here's my little ongoing test:

LINKY

Now for a discussion on pressures with them!

I've run them at 2.5 bar front, 2.9 Bar rear loaded and had excellent wear and feedback. Unladen I found the front worked well at 2.2 - 2.3 and the rear at 2.7. I weigh 100kg, and run a top-box but it's usually empty.
Thoughts??
Hey Chris,

Just wanted to say THANKS = your initial reviews on these tires put them on my short list on replacements! They have Proven to be MOST EXCELLENT!!

I'm still tweaking with the pressures

We only Have 1 Life 2 Live,

SEIZE THIS DAY & DO IT NOW,

1LIFE2LIVE screwed with this post 04-11-2008 at 08:40 PM
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #23
Flyboy08
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
I have had such Great feedback and luck with Anakees, I'm about to place its third set on the GS. The Sport Attacks are going on the RS for track days
Attached Images

07GSA....Holy Cow!
06 K1200R "Der Naked"....SOLD...too damn fast
05 R1200GS "Das Boot" ....SOLD...already miss her!
01 K1200RSFL "Das Pig"
Flyboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #24
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE
Hey Chris,

Just wanted to say THANKS = your initial reviews on these tires put them on my short list on replacements! They have Proven to be MOST EXCELLENT!!

I'm still tweaking with the pressures

We only Have 1 Life 2 Live,

C a r p e D i e m
Hey, no problems. Very happy customer.

BTW- more info on TKC's- I queried the Continental importer in Oz about the international tyre distribution and a lot of TKC's are made in Korea and the bulk of the export tyres are from there. The German-made ones go on the bikes from new as they are just up the road from BMW...

In Oz you cannot specify DE manufacturered tyres as that is specified by Continental when the importer places their order. same for the US. If you want DE tyres, get on to your importer or order some from Germany! I've used the Korean ones and found no real difference- they wear similarly, go blue if you thrash them on asphalt and wear out at amazing speed if you get up them on asphalt or roost them on the dirt!

VFR800 (VFR# 7)

Chris_GS screwed with this post 04-11-2008 at 08:48 PM
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #25
Daytona_Rider
You should be racing

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixxiT
BTDT

I have had four sets of TKC's; one from the fatherland and three from Korea... I have yet to notice the difference....

I must be thick.

AFM #993 Come out and support the sport of motorcyling; attend an AFM Race Weekend!

Death Valley Ride(s) Rock

Dennis Carner Memorial Ride

Death Valley Video

1991 Honda NC30 (Racing sweetness) #993
2007 R1200GS Adventure: King of the World IMHO
Daytona_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #26
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Thumb

Bit of an update -

Now have about 1500 miles on them and love them more than ever.

Went to Gerlach, NV last week and ran in to rain

snow

Loose soil/sand

and some hard pack with rocks.

About a 550 mile trip all said and done and these tires were/are phenomenal.

Never changed the pressures from the 39 F, 42 R that I was running since I had lots of road stuff between my Diamond Springs, CA home and Gerlach, NV.

Excellent grip on and off road!! Sisk and Eb give them
Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #27
AVODude OP
"Fu Manchu"

I spent about an hour on the phone with Continental US and the marketing guy said that because the euro is rising so fast Conti is moving all production to Korea for consumer use ( to keep tire prices down for the US consumer), only German made tires will make it onto bikes that come down the production line. He was quick to point out that one set of tires (in all styles) come off the assembly line everyday to be tested for QC, if a flaw is found all tires made that day are re-inspected until Conti is satisfied the consumer isnt getting a bad tire.

I didnt drink all the Kool-Aid from the bottle but he said that in the begining the Korean plant had its issues but the reason that Germany selected them was because they had recently been certified ISO and that their views were the same when it came to QC.

Bottom line if there were no markings on the tire you would not be able to tell based on wear, ride quality etc.

Just repeating what was told to me.

Andy
Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #28
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,454
AVO what tastes better Grape or Cherry.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #29
AVODude OP
"Fu Manchu"

I'm partial to grape if ya gonna feed it to me. plus a i want graham crackers to go with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20pumper
AVO what tastes better Grape or Cherry.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #30
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,166
Bridgestone Battle Wings

My '07 GSA came with Bridgestone Battle Wings...DS tire...I rode them on a lot of gravel roads and down many canyons of pavement..loved the tires on pavement, rain or dry and like them a lot on gravel/dirt...if I were to be looking for a touring tire with some dirt runs this would be it..give them a look.

Having said that I now have TKC 80s on the bike [3,600 miles on Bridgestones before switching] and since my main focus is dirt not pavement I really appreciate the TKCs...outstanding on dirt and very good on pavement so far....

Oh yes, I know on my GSA there is a limited number of tires that are rated for the weight of the bike/load....so one tire type may not work on all "BMWs"
FrontRearBW501
The Bridgestone Battle Wing BW501/BW502 is a V-rated radial tire designed for Adventure Sport bike applications. It features a high-grip compound and a new profile to enhance handling and contact feel. The BW501/BW502 combination is designed for 90% on-road / 10% off-road use. Please select the BW502 for more information on rear tire applications.
Application: Adventure Sport
FrontRearBW502
The Bridgestone Battle Wing BW501/BW502 is a V-rated radial tire designed for Adventure Sport bike applications. It features a high-grip compound and a new profile to enhance handling and contact feel. The BW501/BW502 combination is designed for 90% on-road / 10% off-road use. Please select the BW501 for more information on front tire applications.
Application: Adventure Sport

Wallowa screwed with this post 04-14-2008 at 09:37 AM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote