User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
YooperMon OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Wink Well whaddya know...

Looks like I'm trading the Road King for an '04 1150GS after all. P/U sometime this week. Basically the deal, the financing, and the trade worked out, and my wife's cool. Here's a question:

The dealer is about 150 miles away. Some typical 2-lane highway (maybe 50 miles), the rest 2-lane 55 MPH wandering road with gentle hills. When I'm bringing it home, I obviously gotta think about break-in. I wuz thinkin':

1. First 50 miles or so, pretty easy, vary RPMs a fair bit with appropriate salutes to honking drivers, basically do what the manual says. Maybe then stop for 5-10 minutes.
2. Rest of the 100 miles home: vary RPMs, maybe stop twice to let things cool a bit, no real babying of the engine, but no full-throttle either. Push the RPM limits that the manual recommends a bit, lots of throttle on, stay there for 15 seconds or so, then heavy off-throttle to load the engine.
3. Once I get home, the usual, gradually starting to get on it more and more.
4. For the ride back to the dealer for the 600-800 mile maintenance, ride it fairly hard, varying RPMs, push it a fair bit, a few pushes towards but not up to red line, with throttle offs to again load the engine. Maybe 2-3 brief stops (5-10 minute stops).

Does any of this make sense? I tend towards wanting to run it sorta hard to get things seated, but I don't want to get crazy. Thoughts? I want this baby good for the Ouray trip in July - I lived and rode in Colorady for 21 years and I gotta get back there to give FatChance some lessons on how to keep his bike upright.

Thanks!
YooperMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperMon
... When I'm bringing it home, I obviously gotta think about break-in. I wuz thinkin':...
I think you should flog it hard from day 1. These cylinders are so hard, you need to apply high power settings to get them to break in well. If you baby it, you may doom yourself to high oil consumption for the life of the engine.

FWIW, the break-in procedure for aircraft engines is to run full-power for at least the first 2 hours. As you may know, aircraft engines are generally opposed air-cooled engines, just like the R motors.
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
Davo
BMW Uber alles

Oddometer: 142
Just ride the bloody thing home will ya!

P.S. Congrats and spend some time observing the traffic as well as the rev guage. Cheers!
Old 05-10-2004, 09:44 PM   #4
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
There is always the ever popular RILYSI method...

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:23 PM   #5
bvkamp
agent provocateur

Oddometer: 1,525
Yep. RILYSI.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:19 AM   #6
beemer boy
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 869
break in ...

Here is the balls to the walls system of break in. I did not quite have to balls myself to do it to my brand new Adventure, but think I will try it on my next new bike.
If it blows up your engine please do not PM me.
Here is the link.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 05-11-2004, 07:56 AM   #7
YooperMon OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12RSSteve
There is always the ever popular RILYSI method...
Ya, I suppose I could do that. With that method, how do you treat the bike for the first 50 miles? Do you ride it hard from mile 0? And, I assume that if you do the RILYSI thing, you should still vary the RPMs a lot for the first 600 miles?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:00 AM   #8
YooperMon OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
Here is the balls to the walls system of break in. I did not quite have to balls myself to do it to my brand new Adventure, but think I will try it on my next new bike.
If it blows up your engine please do not PM me.
Here is the link.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I read this a couple of days ago. You never know if what you're reading is grounded in reality, or if it's just BS. Funny how something as basic as "how the engine should be broken in for optimum performance" is this big, hotly-debated subject.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:39 AM   #9
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperMon
I read this a couple of days ago. You never know if what you're reading is grounded in reality, or if it's just BS. Funny how something as basic as "how the engine should be broken in for optimum performance" is this big, hotly-debated subject.
I checked that Mototune site out a few weeks ago & was skeptical initially, but that nut makes a good case supported by sensible arguments and convincing photos. I wish I had it to do over again, because I would break my bike in per this method.
- Chris

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #10
Hiatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
There is much more to worry about during break in than cylinder/ring break in. Consider that the bike has been sitting a long time since the initial assembly. There are bearings and bushings in the trans and final that are also not broken in and may be a bit dry. Give the thing a chance to survive by taking it slow for a bit. Let the shafts and bearings that are not pressure fed have a chance to get lubricated and situated. Static running of a unit does not load the drivetrain. When you are under power, things move around and twist a bit creating heat. Let it have time for the different metal surfaces to mate and oil up before possibly overheating them.

Just my 2 cents. Think beyond the motor.

JH
Old 05-11-2004, 09:12 AM   #11
BigDave
Adventure Drummer

Oddometer: 3,968
No matter what, it seems like most people agree on the fact that you should let your bike cool all the way down between runs during break-in. You mention 5-10 minute stops and thats not really enough time for the engine to cool. Especially if it is hot outside.

Right or wrong, I took it pretty easy before the 600 oil change. Then I rode it much harder and gradually got the revs up to redline by 1000 mi.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:24 AM   #12
Axel White
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 350
Break In

Read the manual and follow the break-in instructions that BMW provides. They designed and built the bike and ought to know how to break it in better than all this other folklore.

I have been following their break-in instructions for every new BMW bike that I have owned, 8 to date, and have never had a problem with excessive oil consumption.

Just took my 2003 Adventure to Mexico and in 2000 miles used about a quarter of a liter of oil. That ain't bad.

Good luck and enjoy the new bike.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:51 AM   #13
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap
FWIW, the break-in procedure for aircraft engines is to run full-power for at least the first 2 hours. As you may know, aircraft engines are generally opposed air-cooled engines, just like the R motors.
However...A/C motors are built with much looser tolerances due to their tremendous heat exposure range - from 120 on the ground to sometimes -40 aloft. Which is why it takes a 360 ci Lycoming to put out 180 HP. There is also 8-10 quarts of oil to disperse the metal shavings and such as well.

ETA: They also redline under 3,000 rpm typically and if equipped with a constant speed prop, they run at the same RPM for most of their operating life.
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #14
YooperMon OP
Studly Adventurer

A key question I have is whether or not I can correctly break in a new GS by driving it back 150 miles from a dealer, and if so, how I'd go about it.

Thanks...
Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #15
Zoul
No Comment

Oddometer: 1,045
Wicked

I generally use the "2nd Gear Method". Never take it out 2nd no matter how fast you ride. It works wonders.
Zoul is offline   Reply With Quote