Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
02Silver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Question Which bike to buy...same ole question

Thanks to this and the TWTex site, I am going to sell my FZ1...I think (I love that bike).

I've read so many of the stories about off road riding that I want to try it. That and the fact that the squids have ruined Leakey for us. There has been a MAJOR crackdown out there if you haven't heard yet. Since I have the 03 R1 and the 02 FZ1, I really don't need both street/sport bikes and it would be nice to have a dual sport for commuting and being able to get off the beaten path to avoid any run ins with my license. (They were writing group tickets for 62 in a 55 in one example BTW...even if you get out of the ticket it isn't worth the harassment).

I do all of my own maintenance and work...it has to be reliable (I've seen dealers screw up as much as they fix) and want, like everyone else does, something that is:

the fastest, lightest, cheapest, longest range, best handling, do it all for nothing bike around that doesn't exist of course.

Common sense leans to the KLR650, Lust dictates the KTM640 Adventure, Brain says a XR650 with a street kit and bigger tank, and the DR650 can be had cheap in the used market while the F650 isn't dismissed either. I might would even be willing to spring for the KTM950 or a BMW 1150 (used) but I really want to sell the FZ1 and use the money to buy a bike and a Roadcrafter without incurring any other expense initially. Since I live in the hot pat of the country...I'd like for the bike to be water cooled but isn't an absolute.

I never recovered from the lust of the Baja kitted TT500 that I had years ago and as you can see most of the choices are modern versions of that bike :)

Please do your best to advise...Big Bend trips are very likely and as much as I envy Irondawg's big trip, a major excursion of that magnitude is not likely anytime soon.
02Silver is offline   Reply With Quote