User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
clarkebd OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Mesh Gear - Be Carefull

I had a get off with a mesh jacket this week. Doing about 50-55mph.
All things considered it's OK, but if I had my leather jacket on, or a non-mesh jacket, I would not have had arm issues. Wore right thru the jacket and the 'soft armor' underneat.

Melted into my skin and they had to scrub it off (skin to get the jacket bits out).

I posted the story in Face Plant along with pics if interested.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334909

I know I'll stick to my leather jacket with CE armor now, no matter the temp. Or at least CE Armor (I haven't found a mesh jacket that offers CE Armor though?)

take care....

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

clarkebd screwed with this post 04-24-2008 at 08:47 AM
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Finny
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 12
make of jacket, please

And what make was the jacket? FirstGear perchance?

I don't remember exacally what armour mine has but it's some type of foam.

- Martin

Finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
clarkebd OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Yes it was a First Gear jacket.

The foam I would not get again. Not worth the chance that it's called upon and burns thru like mine did.

Granted, it's 1000x better than a T-Shirt, but there are much better choices out there.

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,198
I also wear a FirstGear mesh jacket/pants combo when the weather gets toasty. Got the upgrade armor for both.

My concern is that the arms of jacket do not fit snugly enough to keep armor in place when needed. I wear jeans under the pants, and generally a long-sleaved tee under jacket. Now I'm also bothered by seeing how your jacket rode up during your crash, though I always have mine zipped to pants.

I have a FirstGear textile, non-mesh jacket as well, which I use frequently, and have a bit more faith in it.

As the owner of a 2-pc. 'stich (used mostly while touring) and a FirstGear 1-pc. leather suit (day rides in the canyons) I think I have a good range of protective gear. I also consider the mesh stuff as disposable (a consumable, if you will) and would more than likely replace with similar.

I'm a ATGATT rider now, but learned the hard way. Glad you survived your incident and are able to ride again, hopefully better protected, and certainly more knowledgeable, as are we for your sharing of the experience.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
olympia uses ce armour in their mesh jackets etc, might be an option. Glad you are ok.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
JoshDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
the revit mesh jackets i'm looking at have CE armor.

not in the back though
JoshDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
The Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 jacket has CE armor.
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Oddometer: 436
Bluhduh

There's two basic issues here:

1. Polyester mesh. Polyester mesh is not very abrasion resistant. It *melts*. You should only wear polyester mesh over a heavy base layer. The vendors don't tell you that.

2. Lousy armor. First Gear is notorious for that :-(.

Solutions:

a) Perforated leather. This is a good solution for warm weather sport bike riding. Unfortunately it is not a good solution for adventure touring, because it doesn't breathe well at low speeds (such as offroad) and leather must fit very closely in order to properly protect you. Loose or bunched leather tears easily. This means you can't really layer up underneath it when you finish crossing the Central Valley and are about to cross a high pass in the Sierras where it's 50F.

b) nylon mesh. A bit more abrasion resistant than polyester mesh. Should be combined with heavy 1000denier solid weave cordura nylon at common wear points. I found two vendors using nylon mesh. It will still melt (albeit it takes more to melt it), so it should still only be worn over a base layer.

c) kevlar mesh. Only one vendor is using this. It doesn't melt, but kevlar is not known for being particularly abrasion resistant -- it tends to fray easily. That is why kevlar skid panels for kayaks and such are saturated with epoxy as part of applying them, the epoxy provides the structure needed to keep the kevlar from fraying, while the kevlar provides the tensile strength and impact resistance to hold the epoxy together when the kayak hits a rock. Supposedly this vendor's mesh is in a yarn that resists fraying. I'm not sure whether I believe all of their claims, but the lack of melting certainly is a good thing.

In any event -- I wouldn't say don't wear polyester mesh gear. If it's a choice between dying of heat stroke and getting road rash, I'll take road rash. But do wear an underlayer, such as a heavy long-sleeve cotton t-shirt and heavy denim jeans, and choose mesh gear that has abrasion-resistant E-spec armor and heavy cordura nylon reinforcements at common wear points such as the shoulders and elbow and knee and buttocks. And if you can afford the high end gear that has nylon or kevlar mesh, definitely look at them. The polyester mesh stuff is better than nothing, but not by much .
Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Wicked

Does the Olympia Stealth suit address ALL of these issues?
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz
Does the Olympia Stealth suit address ALL of these issues?
Somewhat. Olympia is one of the two vendors who use a nylon mesh rather than a polyester mesh and who put a solid nylon at common wear points. Unfortunately, they are only using a 500 denier cordura nylon on the wear points, which is better than nothing but not as protective as a heavier nylon. They appear to have made the decision that a heavier nylon, aside from being more expensive, would be too stiff and would impede the breathability of the garment too much.

In short, I'd take it over a Joe Rocket or First Gear any time of the day. But I still wouldn't wear it without wearing a heavy-duty long-sleeve shirt and pant underneath to help protect against melting polyester, because if you look closely, you'll see that the mesh liner is polyester. Oops!

There is a second vendor also using nylon mesh rather than polyester mesh. They use perforated leather rather than nylon to reinforce the wear points. Bonus points to anybody who figures out who I'm talking about . Unfortunately they provide tight fitting race-styled garments that aren't particularly well suited for adventure touring use, unlike Olympia, which has a wide variety of garments suited for adventure touring.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,807
The Cortech GX-Air uses leather in the shoulders, arms, and spine, plus hard shell armour! Best protection I've seen in a mesh jacket.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
catdailey
MotoCat 06 F650GS

Oddometer: 137
I'm going to guess Vanson because the Cortech GX Air leather patches are not perforated leather.
catdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Eek

Thanks for posting your unfortunate mishap, and I hope you heal well soon. I have always suspected that that First Gear mesh gear was so-so at best. I did the armor upgrades and I still feel that it is not as good as it should/could be. My gear is 5 years old and, I believe, past its prime. I'll ride in my RP2 form now on....
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Not to mention that I haven't been able to ascertain what kind of mesh the Cortech is made out of. I'm assuming it's polyester, since polyester mesh is cheaper and folks who don't say otherwise usually are polyester. Vanson, on the other hand, is the other vendor I've come across who explicitly say they use nylon mesh. Looks like good gear, just not suited for adventure touring, if I had a crotch rocket that I rode in the heat I'd definitely look at it tho.

Edit: Here is a piece of a review of the Cortech that seems to verify that it's polyester mesh: "Had this on when I lowsided at 40mph. Fell on my left arm and slid a bit on the mesh, non-armored part of the sleeve. The road wore right through the mesh and the waterproof lining, but not through the thermal layer. If I hadn't had on all three layers, though, my arm would be hamburger. I might buy this jacket again, but I want to do some more research first."

Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreen
Somewhat. Olympia is one of the two vendors who use a nylon mesh rather than a polyester mesh and who put a solid nylon at common wear points. Unfortunately, they are only using a 500 denier cordura nylon on the wear points, which is better than nothing but not as protective as a heavier nylon. They appear to have made the decision that a heavier nylon, aside from being more expensive, would be too stiff and would impede the breathability of the garment too much.

In short, I'd take it over a Joe Rocket or First Gear any time of the day. But I still wouldn't wear it without wearing a heavy-duty long-sleeve shirt and pant underneath to help protect against melting polyester, because if you look closely, you'll see that the mesh liner is polyester. Oops!

There is a second vendor also using nylon mesh rather than polyester mesh. They use perforated leather rather than nylon to reinforce the wear points. Bonus points to anybody who figures out who I'm talking about . Unfortunately they provide tight fitting race-styled garments that aren't particularly well suited for adventure touring use, unlike Olympia, which has a wide variety of garments suited for adventure touring.
I agree. It's also what made me go with an Olympia Patton jacket for warmer weather. It has mesh but not very much. It has probably half the amount of mesh that the Bushwacker does. I don't really like mesh jackets but I do really like the Patton.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote