Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
NoExit OP
NoProblem

Oddometer: 343
Ceramic clutch, less than half the Touratech price

After burning out the clutch on my 2007 GSA in one year/7,500 km (www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334305) I'm having a ceramic clutch put in and I found one that's less than half the Touratech price.

It's from a company in South Africa, called Cycle Technology, part of a motorcycle tour company.

http://www.toursforafrica.co.za/old/accessories/General%20Access/A-Ceramic%20Clutch%20Plate.htm

Anyone else had experience with them?

The price is R1995 (that's South African Rand), or about $265 (Cdn.). Touratech Canada wanted more than $700 (Cdn.)

I e-mailed the supplier Thursday evening, got a prompt reply Friday morning with all my questions answered, and wired him the money the same day (He doesn't take credit cards, too much CC fraud in South Africa, he says).

The total cost, with shipping and bank fees for the transfer, was $441 (Cdn.). Air shipping alone was $100 (Cdn.). Still cheaper than Touratech.

The website says it's the same one sold by Touratech, which seems likely since the Touratech model is also made in South Africa. (The photo below is the Cycle Tech plate)

The website also says it's guaranteed for life, if "driven correctly." I was told that meant: "
riding respectably and not like a person trying to deliberately destroy the clutch plate or doing wheelies daily up and down the main roads. These clutches were designed for serious adventure travelers who are fully loaded to capacity and encounter serious thick sand or challenging road conditions and have to use the clutch constantly and drastically at times to get out of the sand or situation which they are in."

I'll update this thread as I progress toward a new clutch, and report on how it works.

Attached Images

NoExit screwed with this post 04-27-2008 at 01:21 PM
NoExit is offline   Reply With Quote