Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #16
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzer
Thanks for the tips, very helpful - is it generally agreed that bmw motorcycles are not as reliable as the japanese manufacturers, or is it just the high cost of service?

I don't want to buy any bike that I haven't been able to test ride for at least 30 mins, I don't think any BMW dealership is going to be giving me a test ride on the brand new F650/800GS twins anytime soon, so a used Wee seems to be the way to go. I know the F800GS isn't out till fall, but is the F650GS twin even available in the US yet?

I appreciate the BMW's styling and the brand image, but it's not high on my priority list for this purchase.
You won't find much agreement on the quality of BMWs around here (and obviously no one knows how reliable the new 650/800s will be yet), but it's generally agreed on that the Wee is an excellent bike in terms of reliability. Either bike can be much cheaper if you do your own work (oil changes, removing wheels before getting tire put on, checking your own valves, etc.) and I'd strongly encourage you to learn how to do this stuff. The more you know your bike, the better.

In terms of test rides, pretty much every BMW dealer I've been to will let you test ride bikes (of course, you'll have to wait until they get a 650/800GS in stock to ride one...650s are expected in June/July last I heard).

I'm going through a similar process that you are. I've ridden a Wee (ironically, at a BMW dealer who had a used one since Suzuki rarely allows test rides). As others have said, it seems to be a good bike. Since I'm pretty happy with my current bike, I'm holding out for the new BMW and others (e.g., Triumph's Tiger Cub might be coming out this Fall too) before making my decision. You can't go wrong with a Wee IMO.

Happy hunting.
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzer
Thanks for the tips, very helpful - is it generally agreed that bmw motorcycles are not as reliable as the Japanese manufacturers, or is it just the high cost of service?
People think BMW are as reliable as stones.
People think German Engineering is really good.

Me I don't. Yet I still like them.
However I'm now partial to airheads rather then the new BMW's
The good news is that you can get parts for BMW from BMW for a long time after they stop making your bike
The bad news. You will pay for that with more expensive parts cost.
Shop costs also tend to be higher per hour and the flat rates seem to be for longer times as well.

As for maintainence here's something to think about.
My personal ride is an 04 DL650
13,000 miles and the only issue I have is that there is a tiny amount of rust on the bike.
That's it. I'm still on the first chain even with plenty of life left in it.

I care for the following bikes.
HP2, K1200Rsport, Xmoto.
All of these bikes have less then 5000 miles on them.
All of these bikes have been at the dealer for needed services outside of "normal" serivces like oil changes and the like.

Some of the bikes (the HP2 especially) gets the most miles put on it
going to the dealer. it's been there at least 4 times and not once was it for a normal service.
There was a brake fault, two recall repairs and a cracked exhaust pipe

all of this happened with less then 2000 miles on the bike.

as it's often said.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #18
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,493
Weird the BMW website states the 650's displacement as 798?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #19
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
You are right the motor is 798cc twin rather than 650cc single. It was poor marketing and branding by BMW in my opinion. They wanted to differentiate the F800GS and this F650GS model by having 2 different names. Both are the same motor with the F650GS version slightly detuned.
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #20
robobiker
NewRoundHere

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk
get a car
Bit of a myopic view there amk. No doubt made to provoke so I'm catching your bate ;)

Why bikes HAVE to be uncomfortable to be valid is beyond me. Personally I think most bikers who ride sports bikes on the road are either very young, or desperate to excude an image or they are lying about their back ache, wrist ache and excruciating pain in their knee joints.

Why punish yourself for the sake of being on two wheels. No-one expects, or desires a hermitically sealed, plush ride, but there IS a middle way.
robobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #21
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
F650GS not on BMW NA web site

The BMW web site has the F650 listed but not the new F800/650GS?

I wanted to see what the US list price will be.

I purchased a 2008 Wee Strom in Dec. '07 for $6450 because BMW was not going to bring the F800/650GS into the US and I'm totally delighted with the Wee Strom. The Wee is one of the few great Values available. It does everything very well, fun to ride, and the price just makes me grin from ear to ear
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #22
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
I'm kinda surprised to see some posts on this thread bashing bmw reliability. I thought that was one of the things their famed for... they are the only ones that give a 3 year warranty, afaik. Others are 1.

I've had a f650gs for a few years now that I bought used and it's never been in the shop. I've put on a new chain, gotten new rubber and done countless oil changes and that's been it. It's been abused and it's been bulletproof.

I was thinking of a wee but was surprised at what used ones were going for locally. When I realized the msrp was the same it's got me thinking of the 650 twin. The wee has a track record but the beemer is about 30 pounds lighter, makes a bit more power and a lot more torque. Pretty compelling in my books.
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #23
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo5
I was thinking of a wee but was surprised at what used ones were going for locally. When I realized the msrp was the same it's got me thinking of the 650 twin. The wee has a track record but the beemer is about 30 pounds lighter, makes a bit more power and a lot more torque. Pretty compelling in my books.
Go get the 650Twin I guarantee you won't regret it and I can vouch that the lighter weight is real and so is more horsepower .......
Old 05-14-2008, 02:40 AM   #24
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,910
If comfort is the main concern, dont wait for the new Beemer 650.
Bloody seat is terrible.
Rest of bike is great.
Corbin, please help.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #25
FlyNavy
2 much not chromed 2 list

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnx66
Go with the F650GS, lighter and more HP. Both have the same MSRP in Canada. When I bought my Wee, if the Beemer was out than I'm sure I would have bought the beemer.
Your kidding, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi40rP_k-XA
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 AM   #26
gordo5
Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy
Your kidding, right?
No, he's not. Maybe your confusing the f650gs (650cc single) with the 2008 f650gs (detuned 800cc twin)? The new bike makes approx 5 more HP and 25 or 30% more torque than the wee.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #27
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
I have a WeeStrom, as well as R1200GS and a DL1000. They are all great bikes!

I really like the new F800GS, and I think the new F650 is pretty close.

I am guessing the real world price differenctial is huge. i.e. you will likely pay full retail for the new Beemer, whereas the Wee can be found (out the door) for $6500 or so (maybe a bit higher with ABS).

Is the Beemer worth the difference?

You'll get all kinds of opinions, but it's your money, you decide.

I think you would be pretty darn pleased with either bike.
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #28
gordo5
Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner
I have a WeeStrom, as well as R1200GS and a DL1000. They are all great bikes!

I really like the new F800GS, and I think the new F650 is pretty close.

I am guessing the real world price differenctial is huge. i.e. you will likely pay full retail for the new Beemer, whereas the Wee can be found (out the door) for $6500 or so (maybe a bit higher with ABS).

Is the Beemer worth the difference?

You'll get all kinds of opinions, but it's your money, you decide.

I think you would be pretty darn pleased with either bike.
I couldn't agree more. I'm sure both are excellent machines. Locally (at annoyingly high Canadian prices) it isn't hard to find a wee at $1K less than msrp, so $8000 and they'll often eat the pdi. The beemer will end up $9500-10000.

For the extra $$ you get a bit more performance and a bit less weight. You also get an inadequate fairing, a bobbing master cylinder and a single headlight. But you also get the 3 year warranty and both bikes will sell in a few years for a few thou less than the purchase price.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #29
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,100
I got a K7 Wee, and did a short test ride on the new twin650GS (the model naming is really weird and confusing to everyone else but the Germans I guess...)

It actually felt quite good, very flickable almost like a supermoto, and lots of torque. But not as good wind protection as the DL, and as someone mentioned, the seat is far from perfect. The 1-disc front brake worked surprisingly well.

In a test published recently, the Wee and twin650GS made similar top end power, less than 1 hp difference there, but the Beemer has naturally got much more torque low down.

In my country the price difference is about 1000 euros (1000 more for the BMW, both come with ABS). The "real" 800GS is yet 2700 more, not justified in my opinion, but this detuned "fake650" is actually surprisingly cheap over here, and might sell well.

Not changing anytime soon, though, cos I love the Wee, and Im not 100% convinced how the new Beemers will do technically in the long run. Maybe got scared after hearing so many stories about the 1200GS.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote