Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #16
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 125
Both bikes are great bikes! The GS is very good for an all day machine for both pavement and dirt roads, as long as it doesn't get too muddy with dual sport tires. Have never put full knobs on it as have a 650L for serious full on dirt days. Have had the GS for 7 years with no issues as far as quality or reliability.

Got a used V a couple of months ago and it is a super bike for pavement adv riding. Will run Deals Gap way faster than I can!! As there are no real serious dual sport tires in 17" fronts that would limit the off road stuff. The seat will need some work for more than 2hr stints, at least for me. It is well put together.

Remember, years ago before the DT1, dirt bikes started out on the showroom as street bikes!!! Used to race Hare Scrambles with a guy who rode a late 50's Sportster!! It's all on what you have and just go for it at reasonable speeds according to what you're on.

Just have lots of fun!!!

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
Note that every negative comment in this thread on the Versys is from one poster. Does not make him wrong, but he is in the minority.

Mostly good reviews and some info here http://www.versys.co.uk/

Dollar for dollar, the Versys looks like a great buy. It is on my short list, along with the Wee-Strom, and odd as it may sound, I really like the 1250 Bandit. Haven't ridden one yet though. In Canada we get the "1250-SEA" model with ABS, lower fairing, and hard bags - looks tasty!

http://moto.suzuki.ca/Home.aspx?prov...&culture=en-CA
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
With some progressive front forks and MT-60's the Versys is a good dual sport. I have the fender extender, MT-60's, Happy-Trail bash plate and engine guards. It does well, but I will agree the 17" front is a bit squirly, but so is my KLR 21" in sand and it has full nobby tires. The front springs are my only gripe and it is a tad buzzy, but a great bike.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
jetdocX
Orange Curious

Oddometer: 681
Put some suspension $$ into the Dak and have both bikes in one.

Nothing you can do about the power, though and I completely understand.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #20
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnabrother
I am sorry but I have to strongly disagree..
The one I rode had ill fitting plastics.. the plastics still had rough mould marks around their edges.. the paintwork had blemishes and was very thun.. the switchgear was rubbish.. the suspension was average.. the brakes were just okay.. the engine was okay, but just..

the whole bike just screamed "cost cutting" to me.. cheap and nasty.. but it was fun to ride.
Maybe they send the second-hand units to PA... I've never, ever seen one like that. In fact, I can say with absolute certainty that the Kawi build quality is substantially BETTER than any 650GS I've encountered.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #21
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
I have had both and the BMW is junk when you consider how much it cost compared to the Versys. Out of all the bikes I have owned the Versys is on top of my list for value and fun. You cannot ride a Versys without smiling from ear to ear. I have not let anyone ride mine that did not get back and say this is great. No matter what they were riding they were impressed. It handles so good that I can touch the Givis down and they are mounted high. BMW lovers will pay big bucks for lesser bikes ,that is just the way it is. I would not trade my Versys for any of them. It can do anything and it can do most of it really good.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote