User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #1
Crush OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Dalton Highway

I'm planning to ride to Deadhorse middle of June. Advice frome those who have done the ride please. Are tourances OK? Marion Creek campground at Coldfoot?
TIA Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
sting38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Cool2 Go for it

I road it last year in July. I stopped in Coldfoot got gas stayed in the motel.It rained off and on all four Days and snowed one. I needed a hot shower and I had seen a Bear on the side of the road that ended camping for me. When I left Coldfoot the road was muddy and I was sliding around so I was doing 20 or so then I did the math 400 miles
20 MPH? going to have to speed up. I go up to 50-60MPH on the gravel mud. There is a lot of paved road around the pump stations. I couldn't out run a simitruck pulling three trailers (on the gravel mud) so I found a wide spot and stoped and covered my head, !!!He slowed down and went by slow.!!! My reserve light was on befor I got to Deadhorse I have 8gal. tank. I have pictures on my web site.
You will never get the grey mud out of your Motorcycle I still find it.
sting38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:00 AM   #3
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush
I'm planning to ride to Deadhorse middle of June. Advice frome those who have done the ride please. Are tourances OK? Marion Creek campground at Coldfoot?
TIA Dennis
Planning on making that same run myself this summer. Not sure when though. I'll be wearing tourances and I won't be spending any evenings in a tent. Been around bears since '70 and no longer sleep in their yard unless its a fairly special occassion.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:31 AM   #4
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting38
I road it last year in July. I stopped in Coldfoot got gas stayed in the motel.It rained off and on all four Days and snowed one. I needed a hot shower and I had seen a Bear on the side of the road that ended camping for me. When I left Coldfoot the road was muddy and I was sliding around so I was doing 20 or so then I did the math 400 miles
20 MPH? going to have to speed up. I go up to 50-60MPH on the gravel mud. There is a lot of paved road around the pump stations. I couldn't out run a simitruck pulling three trailers (on the gravel mud) so I found a wide spot and stoped and covered my head, !!!He slowed down and went by slow.!!! My reserve light was on befor I got to Deadhorse I have 8gal. tank. I have pictures on my web site.
You will never get the grey mud out of your Motorcycle I still find it.
I'm planning on being in Deadhorse for the 4th of July myself. I'm not sure how you burned 8gal of gas between coldfoot and deadhorse though. It's about 250 miles. That's less than 35mpg. At 50mph I get around 45mpg. I wasn't planning on carrying extra gas for the trip. Maybe I'll get a 1.5 gal gas can to carry.
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:57 AM   #5
choirboy
Yankee Racers - Founder

Oddometer: 17,418
I've made the run to Deadhorse twice. Once was Summer Solstice 1997 on a 1994 HD Heritage Softail Classic with Dunlop 491s; the second time was July 1999 on a 1995 R1100GS with Michelin T66s. You should do fine. I was blessed with exceptional weather both times, though.

Both times the worst road conditions were by the Hot Spot Cafe, just north of the Yukon River crossing. Road maintenance on the Dalton seems to consist of ripping up the roadbed, spraying a calcium chlorite mixture, then grading it back out. You'll find a number of several mile-long stretches where they have done this, leaving behind a several-inch deep soft/muddy roadbed.

You may or may not make it from Coldfoot to Deadhorse on one tank. On my 1999 run, I rode with a guy riding a 1998 R1100GS. The 1996 and later R1100GSs had the smaller, metal tank. I made it Deadhorse; my friend ran out of gas 10 miles short. When I pulled up to the pumps, some bow hunters driving back south volunteered to run a gas can back to him in their truck.

Got my freedom, riding along the freeway,
I ride a hundred miles an hour, but I don't mess up my DA.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote