User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #76
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Coming up:

Or... is it better to have experienced momentum and lost it, or to never have experienced momentum at all?

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #77
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Warloop road

... is about the most technical section of the Eastern TAT. It's only about 5 miles long, and the rough part is only a portion of that. It's an abandoned county road. And we met a local who is also an ADVRider, who told us a little about it... more about that later.

It starts out benign enough:

Down to two-track:

For the record, I knew a little bit about Warloop.

LDF had not been briefed.

Now, before anyone gets too upset at me, you have to realize that she has been known to psych herself out.

A little bit smaller now,

Mind you, she's GONE... I'm hustling to keep up.

She found the go-around here before I even got there.

It's kind of hard to see, but it is a huge water hazard, with flower petals floating in it.

I've skipped capturing the more technical sections up to this point, but she was just motoring through them...

And the road really started to deteriorate:

And then, we stopped to rest a spell, and all momentum was lost.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #78
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were at the top of a steep, loose, rocky section, with the remnants of some asphalt which created about an 18" step-off. There were any number of lines to take, all about equally bad, but doable... Riding off the trail, however, would put you a good ways down off into the woods.

She looked, and hesitated, and started,

and stopped...

Got off the bike, walked the section...

Climbed back on her bike, and...

Old 06-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #79
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And after discussion about wanting to do it, but not wanting to risk breaking bike or body, I took her bike down through the 50 yards.

So then... she climbs back on her bike, which is no small feat in and of itself:

And cleans THIS section without blinking!

After that, it got a lot easier.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #80
spdrcr37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Great trip, guys!

How much time have you got for your next leg? Any hopeful destination?
spdrcr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #81
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr37
How much time have you got for your next leg? Any hopeful destination?
We've have the middle two weeks of September. I've just received the remaining TAT maps & roll charts. We'll head back up to where we left off, then do the CO and UT portions of the TAT for sure, then make our way either to Las Vegas NV, or to Flagstaff, AZ (My brother lives there). We've got to get cracking on plans, logistics and arrangements... only 3 months away!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #82
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mark

So we get out of the Warloop all sweaty and thirsty and stop at the One Stop for gas and such and a guy walks by us and says... "Jeez, some of us have to work for a living "

So I sez "Hey, we do too! This is our vacation!"

And so we gets to talking, and his name is Mark, and he's on ADV, and has heard of the TAT, and is teaching his daughter how to ride (), and hopes someday to ride the TAT, and we're swapping stories, and he tells us that we should post on ADV that the owner of the land that borders Warloop is petitioning the county to allow him to gate and close the road, and that maybe some ADVRiders in the area or even out of the area could try to convince the County of the intrinsic value to the local economy and civic pride in leaving it just the way it is.

That's all we know, Warloop's days may be numbered.

I also got the card of a guy who ran a custom motorcycle shop in Mountainburg. I kept his card in my tankbag mapcase for the rest of the trip, and now I can't remember his name, or the name of the shop, and I was going to give him a plug. My anti-spam brain circuits must be acivated now. Anyway, he was a nice guy. The card is still in my tankbag... he'll have to wait until the end of September for his ADV free advertisement.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #83
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Logging

We sensed we were near an area that had active logging... you could smell the fresh cut wood, and see the muddy ruts:

Sure enough, we had to wait a few minutes for this guy to do his thing. It was tossing and dragging tree trunks like matchsticks, and looked like it could drive over absolutely any terrain. It moved like a snake or something. Really, really cool. I wanted one sooo bad. I could have watched it all day.

LDF wasn't as impressed. Must be a guy thing.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #84
Jungle Jim
buckle up buttercup

Oddometer: 9,720

I love this idea

when are you and LDF coming over for dinner?

Jungle Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #85
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hey, normally she makes me scout and prerun the water crossings for her, and then set up on the far side for a money shot of her splashing through...

Oh wait... you mean for once I get photographed in full aqua-exploding glory???

Old 06-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #86
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jim

when are you and LDF coming over for dinner?
Hey, how's it goin?! Not before we see you guys on the 24th!

(You are coming, aren't you?)
Old 06-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #87
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Noah's farm

Two by two...

Old 06-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #88
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Other strange animals

Llamas:

Camels???

Old 06-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #89
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Smells

She says honeysuckle

I say chamomile.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #90
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

She's stopped. I pull up next to her. "What's wrong?"

"I hate riding on this!"

"I thought that was open grates, this isn't an open grate "

"No, ...any grate "

Who knew?