Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Thumbs down Nolan N-103: Awful - don't buy

Because of it's good reputation, becuase it is made in Italy, and becuase I it has Bluetooth support I bought a Nolan 103. If was so nice to wear!

It turned out to be a serious mistake!

The helmet is awfully noisy. Below are the modifications I have had to do to keep it from ending directly as a 200 euro flower pot.

If you look carefully at the image above you will notice the following:
  1. To the right (fron of the helmet) you will see a black rubber sealing. It keeps the noise out.
    However: It does not extand beyond (behind) the main opening. The black vertical strip you see has been added by me to stop noise from coming in. I glued in a 1cm thick pice of foam. Yes you read correctly: There is a 1 cm gap just there.
  2. If you look carefully you will see that the "glass" does not seal well. I guess it is for this reason Nolan has added the rubber sealing. But, alas, as the sealing doesn't extend backwards, awful amounts of noise enteres here. In the image below, you can see silicone to seal better.
  3. The "silver" screws nicely rotates as you open the helmet. But becuase if this, they don't seal well. When I ride, if I put my finger on one of them, I can hear the difference.
  4. The "glass" can be removed quickly by pressing on the big black button. Nice. But for this reason it doesn't seal well, and noise enters.

On the second image you can see the minimum modifications you have to do to the helmet to use it beyond walking speed. This is ugly, to say the least

Furthermore, if you inspect the helmet you will find that the opening in which the sun-shield slides, is a full cm too long; a lot of noise enteres here. You will also notice that below you chin, where the helmet closes, there is no rubber sealing, and a lot of noise enteres.

I would strongly advice against buying a Nolan helmet without trying it first. Trying while riding, that is!

Edit: After riding with my (UGLY) modifications, it is still not as quiet as my 8 years old BMW System helmet. How can a new helmet be worse than an old one? Stay away!

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616

tagesk screwed with this post 06-07-2008 at 07:27 AM
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote