Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Hamon OP
I just like riding

Oddometer: 288
First report: 5,500 miles, 2 weeks, 1 cylinder

Hey folks,

My name's Travis and I've just gotten into the whole riding thing. I'm 20 years old, I sell knives, and I ride. I've been riding for 4 months now, and in those 4 months, I've put on over 10,000 miles. I figure that's worth mentioning, seeing as I only live 2 miles away from where I work.

The planning for this trip started a few months ago when my parents mentioned that they were heading from British Columbia to Ontario for my brother's university graduation. They were taking a camper-van, and planning on a long trip, and I wanted to attend the graduation as well. I knew I wouldn't be able to take as much time as they, so I began looking at the feasability of riding there and back in 2 weeks. It looked to be a lot of riding, but well worth it in the end.

This is my report.

I'll start out with the bike and what I've done with it to make it reasonable to do long days and long distances with it.

The bike:
2006 KLR650: Red

From front to back:
-Front tire: Pirelli MT90 Scorpion ST
-Fairing/windshield: to begin with, no windshield whatsoever. I received one later on in the trip, but that's another story.
-Tank panniers: cheap ones from a local supply store: cost $20, and were worth about that. I had a zipper fail on one as I was loading my bike, but other than that, they faired well.
-Tank bag: Wolfman Enduro: great little bag. Well constructed and thought out. I can now see the reason for a larger tank bag.
-Seat: stock seat with an Alaska Leather Dualsport buttpad
-Panniers: Caribou Cases 35L Pelican cases. These things are every bit as good as they are made out to be. They cost a bit upfront, but you realize why after.
-Top bag: Basspro Extreme Boat Bag: NOT WATERPROOF.. I learned this a while back. I also learned that it works well to hold water IN.
-Gearing: went up a tooth on the front to a 16. It made all the difference, especially across the prairies.
-Rear tire: Pirelli MT90 Scorpion ST: it's about done now, but it lasted the whole trip, plus approximately 3,000 miles beforehand.

Other than that, the bike is stock. Nothing has been done to the engine, carb, airbox, or otherwise. Hell, it has the original spark plug in it.

You'll also note that it still has the stock doohickey in it, which was adjusted prior to the trip, but nowhere during the trip was it adjusted again. This was partially due to the fact that my 10mm wrench I had with me was a pile of garbage and would not get my skidplate off.

If you've got any more questions, please ask. Other than that, stay tuned for the report. I probably won't get through all of it today. Each post takes a bit of canoodlin'.

Travis
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762691 <- 3 months of moto fantasticity
Hamon is offline   Reply With Quote