Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #61
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrcycllvr
Okay, I MUST find a way to get on the invitation list for next year!

Great ride report - I caught myself drooling at least once.. !

HA! E!

no doubt you can 'keep up' - let's put together a "Valley Rider Invitational! the VRI -

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #62
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,114

Hoe-leee-shit! Wachs, Stihlrigg and the boys lay down another fan-bloody-freekin'-tastic ride report. Everytime I see a ride report with your names on it, I know I'm in for something above and beyond. Beautiful pics, exciting writing.... Thanks!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #63
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlRigg
Worth it, supposed to be a panorama.

Stiched it for you

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #64
Dual Badger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Great report and pic's! Oregon riders have there shit together!
Dual Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #65
Backwoods Boogie
High Desert, High Mileage

Oddometer: 80
Awesome report Thanks for sharing the great pics!

Another epic ride outta Central Oregon!

Great job guys, very cool!
Backwoods Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #66
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,554
Day Six

Slept like a baby last night, although some critter (frog or toad I think) was out rustling around my tent for awhile and actually jumped up on the side of it once. Put my earplugs in and went back to sleep.

Alpen Camp:

Today was gonna be a BIG push to make it all the way back to Paisley. The plan was to ride west back thru the Sheldon Reserve, into Adel for a lunch stop and fill up, then pioneer a trail thru the Fremont Forest and hopefully end up at Summer Lake Hot Springs. (you need to visit SLHS, nice set-up there and super cool owner, Duane)

First we needed to pump some water:

Looking for a good spot:

Pegz' filter was apparently clogging, and I had broken my intake tube on my Katadyn, but I had it with me and it had a little sponge in it that we kept cleaning Pegz' filter with. Hence the moniker Spongebrad...

Old shitter:

Leaving Alpen Camp:

more...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #67
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Heading towards Summit Lake we checked out this old Cat that was apparently part of a mining operation and abandoned. This is at about 7000'.

Looking towards the Black Rock Desert:

Onward:

more...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #68
Motobrandt
Grrrrrrrrr

Oddometer: 628
AHHHHHGGGGG!!! bloody beautiful! Amazing! stunning! whatever adjectives I can't think of...

I love it! Thanks so much for sharing. I'd kill to have a ride like that, in case you get tired of fixing broken pegzz
Motobrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #69
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21

more...
That's my kind of country.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #70
wachs OP
just passin' through

DAY SIX

Best night’s sleep of the trip so far. No bugs and a beautiful morning. We stroll down to the lake and filter water for the day ahead. We have several options but we also have a at least 200 miles of dirt to manage so we’ll see how it goes and make choices along the way.

Headed south in Nevada we intend to stay as high as we can and stay out of the heat in the desert valleys.

We spent the night up in those mountains back there above Gigglepuss pass.

We rode up this canyon next to a raging creek. The first time we came through here we spooked a group of 20 wild horses that ran all over the place spooking us too.

Pegz pegs are holding up.

This was supposed to illustrate the flowers we were forced to ride through. Incredibly fragrant.

We gather up on ‘BUlldozer mountain’ for a short break. Crystal clear skies and cool air, the bikes are running strong and we’re looking forward to the rest of the day.

That’s the Quinn River arm of the Black Rock Desert down there. Originally, I was hoping to traverse those mountains and loop around south to Gerlach but maybe next time.

This machine is all there. Wonder if someday a guy will come up with a battery and some starting fluid to drive it away.

One of our options is that canyon country on the horizon. Very challenging trails through there that can take several hours to make it through. It’s starting to heat up and we decide to forego the rocky country for the enjoyable high-speed rollers that will take us to Adel, OR and hopefully fuel and lunch.

Down off the mountain.

Easy riding that allows us to really make some time. Looking back on it now, there’s no way we would’ve made our destination goal if we had taken the rougher route.

Cool stands of mahogany and the road is as fun as anything. We can see through most of the corners and are just hauling ass through here.

Crazy cartoon yellow flowers surround this playa.

This was fun but still tiring. We still have 120 miles to go and really hoping for lunch in Adel. These dirt spouts were weird and cool.

My bag system is working perfectly. I haven’t had to mess with it at all - just pack up and go.

We drone the dirt road up to Adel and as usual, the weird, grumpy, lazy old proprietor refuses to fry us up a burger. “Too late, out of food, no lunch after 2pm, and about a thousand other petty, freaky, stubborn homemade signs that adorn the depressing interior of this unwelcoming place. I only wish I had to take a dump so I could’ve left a turd here.

From here we are going to explore some new country and that requires a bit of pavement. I’m singing good bye knobbie in my helmet.
We had a great ride up to this deadend. A really fun track to a communication station. The map said it goes the gps says the same but they both lie.

We had to do a little bit more pavement, it was at least pretty, to this track along a drainage the took us back up into the mountains.

This was fun.

Nice and cool up here even if we don’t know exactly where we’re going.

We’ve traversed the mountain and according to our info these big old logging roads should take us right down onto hwy 395. This is a dead end, one of many we explored.

This one turned into a very faint qwad track that appeared to go down off the mountain.

I sure hope this goes through.

And so it does. A little dicey in there for a few miles but end up on the dreaded pavement and head towards Paisley. No gas at Valley Falls (closed at this hour)

So we confer the map again and looks like we can skip the asphalt for a loop around the Chewaucan swamp and connect to Paisley via dirt. SpongeBrad is out ahead there somewhere.

Yes, that is a swamp down there.

Here come Pegz. Looks all soft and smooth huh? Well it’s not. The surface is all softball sized cobblestones. I thought I’d just slice off a corner and almost ate crap bashing off the hidden stones. Later in the year, the grass will die off and it’ll be easier to see.

Which track? Take your pick, they both go to the same place.

Spectacular light at this hour. We figure we’ll make it in time to get fuel and continue to our goal of Summer Lake Hot Spring.

One problem with coming into towns is you start to run into private property the closer you get. This track petered out into a messed up water diversion program area. Todd and I struggled across this feature but SpongeBrad was smarter and blasted through a little swamp, avoiding the stones.

We make it into Paisley in time to buy fuel(s) and have a burger. Pegz picks up a flat right in the gas station and does the repair. He rolls down the road to test it out only to discover it’s flat again. Says he’ll just spend the night right here by the football field.

Me & Brad wish him luck and (I really don’t know why) split for the hot spring. 7 miles of torturous pavement to the springs and we learn they want $25 to camp out. There’s a big hippy festival with live music and all that but I’m beat and so is Brad. We elect to ride out into the sage and pitch our tents under the full moon. This thing was just layin' there (I didn't yank it out) and I need a stone or something for the cheap ass stock kick stand.

It was a much better/cheaper idea and again, I slept like a mummy. 243.7 miles - whew.

wachs screwed with this post 06-25-2008 at 10:56 AM
Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #71
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 8,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21

Perfect.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #72
twolf
Dork

Oddometer: 29
mmmmmmmm

I'm reading Wax...
and crying a bit.

- the T.

twolf screwed with this post 06-26-2008 at 11:53 AM
twolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #73
brad21
Farting in a Fan

This is the only shot I got of Wox dropping his bike on this trip and unfortuately he has it off the ground by the time I drew the Olympus dangit...

Some old house out in the Sheldon:

The spaceships will be landing soon:

Looking down on the town of Adel, Or and ol' crankypants' place:

Rode across this old wagon trail, est. 1868:

Why the roads we were trying to get down out of the Fremont were closed:

Little teamwork gets her done:

We were on the wrong side of this lock. Say no more:

A beer and another flat repair:

Early morning camp shot just east of the hot springs:

more...

Old 06-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #74
wachs OP
just passin' through

DAY SEVEN

The ride home. Brad was up early and I couldn’t sleep anymore, looked like the weather might be changing. It actually rained for about 2 minutes last night. Kinda windy for a bit, had the gas shut off and parked the bike far enough away so that if it fell over it wouldn’t land on my tent.

We’re gonna take a new route home today. Skipping Christmas Valley and all those rocks in Fandango and Diablo. Should be nice, could be confusing, will probably be high-speed.

The route should take us up on top of this rim and through a nice, cool forest over toward Silver Lake. We shouldn’t need fuel.

I have these little succulent-type flowers on our place. They last about a week and that’s it.

So we call Pegz and the report is the tire is fixed! He’s on his way to meet us at Summer Lake Hot Spring. The party goers are slowly emerging from their blown down tents and tee pees. I guess the wind was nukin’ last night and it wreaked havoc on the festival.

Hmmmm, weather’s changing.

So we re-group and take off for the hill. That Honda is coming down the road and not sounding good. Something is not right. Brad had been having electrical issues with his Baja Kit and best we can figure is that is the source. The weather is deteriorating and Brad makes the call to home.

That’s a Husky towing a Honda the 5 miles back to the hot spring. Sad to see Brad being left behind but his boys are all jacked up to drive down here from Bend and ‘rescue dad!’ so it’ll be fine.

I’ll let him explain the bikes’ problem.

I’m waiting up on the hill and you can see this squall roll through on a wicked wind. Had to find a tree to lean my bike against as the thing would just be blown over.

So we thought it best to stay off the edge of teh rim country as it was looking like lightning. We toured this strange single lane paved road ‘till I was ready to slit my wrists. I HATE PAVEMENT!

Pegz tire is now running on the carcass.

Last year I was in this area and found this little gem. It doesn’t say anything about 'no dirt bikes' and since we were not roosting or anything figured it would take us somewhere.

This turned out to be one of those great days of riding. I couldn’t believe this single track. Wish Brad was still with us dang it.

I have an idea where we are (sort of) and hope to return to do the entire sequence.

There were a few challenging switchbacks.

It was excellent riding and I’ll surely come back for more of this area.

Headed north towards Fort Rock. Haven’t ridden this particular area since ‘92 and yet it still looks familiar.

This was almost like skiing untracked powder at Jackson Hole - so smooth and fast, soft and swervy.

There’s Fort Rock. We’re only 80 or 90 miles from home. Over those hills, across hwy 97, up a powerline across a couple paved roads and that’ll be it.

Bumped into these 2 participants of a LobosMC Dual Sport club ride.

Cool and weird place.

This was a gas. About a hundred water bar jumps coming off Newberry Crater and down to hwy 97.

Still a crap-load of snow above 5000’ here in our neighborhood. Just after this shot, it started raining and we didn’t care. I could get completely soaked and be quite happy about it knowing we were only 40 miles from the barn.

Last shot of the trip from me. Had to hop over the tracks and roast these super fun dirt roads towards town.

It was a really great trip. Can’t wait for the next one!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #75
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,356
Too fookin kewl!
Gottsta get over there....

Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote