User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #226
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,169
NTID / Rochester

If you make it to CNY, will you be stopping around NTID? If so, I'd love to meet you for a coffee (or beer). Several friends from NTID taught me three years of sign, and I've been subscribed to your ride report since page 4.
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #227
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,276
scarysharkface......was sitting in MD for a day among deaf friends...now I am among more great friends in Hanover, PA. Haven't used my camera since then. In regard to riding and picture taking, yes...I've taken lots of bike dismounts in order to take pictures. Of course did a lot of riding and basically have been gone for a month! I am retired and utilized the time. I plan on writing a final conclusion and perhaps a perspective when I return to my Frau in NC.

TRUST......so sorry to have missed NTID. By the time I was in the vicinity the weather Gods had other plans for me and rode on seeking El Sol! Would love to have had a chat with you about the trip. Perhaps there'll be another time when I head North again. Thanks for the invitation.
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #228
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

The graces of Pennsylvanias farming landscape:Hanover

Remained in Pennsylvania with some dear friends for two days, before heading home to North Carolina. The weather turned out to be perfect today and off I went for some pictures of the farm that have been there for generations. Sister Towns with names of Hanover; Mannheim; Heidelberg...remind me of the old country.

Miniature ornamental row of stone houses. Erected by the a former owner who lived across the street.

Notice: Outhouse at Cemetery. Wonder why? Scared s@#t of death?

Americas favorite summer food: Sweet Corn; Mais Sucre; Suess Korn...

Abbotstown, PA.....

Tomorrow it's pretty much carving the interstates to Winnabow, North Carolina; stable of my steed Brunhilde and into the arms of my Frau. Cheers

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 07-26-2008, 05:31 AM   #229
GS Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Simply fantastic report. Too bad you got rained out during your trip back South, through the Adirondacks and Upstate NY. That can be gorgeous when it isn't raining.

Thank you for such a well documented, well written and well photographed report. Really, really have enjoyed it.

I wish to comment that reading reports like this results in my putting certain places on my short list to ride to. You have succeeded in adding to my list....at least the paved parts!

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #230
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Well I supposed that you're back home by now.

If you can, after you're settled back home, post some sort of of an outline of your route (route numbers, ferry, etc) that we can copy?

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I know stuff like that takes time and dedication to keep a story going while on the road---dunno if I would have the patience to do that!!!

Hondachopper
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #231
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Homecoming..........

My Neighbors......

Got showered with Dom Perignon Rose Vintage....

Oh, feels good slapping my Frau's Derriere.....

Motorcycle:

2005 BMW R1200 GS; cast wheels

Riding Style:*

1) To what I have often read is the best practice, stand on the foot pegs for really bumpy sections and extraordinary situations. It was a long trip; the GS has a comfortable custom seat mounted closer to the ground than most dual sport bikes; and with the GS adjustable road travel lever, I did change the position now and then to suit the terrain and facilitate standing.

2) On non-paved surfaces, I kept the bike in a more upright position, used a higher gear, less throttle except sometimes to help steer, more engine braking and more rear brake. Apply gentle, smooth and anticipate, as on the street but more so and total concentration-- proved more difficult to adhere to, and I was amazed at how quickly I could stray from my intended track of travel by taking even short glances at objects of interest along the way, thus my spill as seen in the picture.

The trip was relatively uneventful, but taxing to the first time gravel rider like me. Everyone has had a different road condition story to tell. Some might encounter worse roads than the previous rider due to construction. Some younger riders might be more gung-ho in their riding ability. One rider on a KLR was eventually snatched by the jaws of the TLH; totaled his bike and suffered a broken collar bone and rib. It is worth noting that while relatively straight, the TLH does have some significant hills. Riders who tend to rely almost exclusively on the front brake must take special care on the downhill sections to avoid or use very careful this powerful control, for it is amazingly easy to skid the front wheel in the gravel. On the GS which has ABS, I shut off the ABS and used the rear brake exclusively at all times.

(*)The TLH can be described as a complete circuit presenting a longer run on gravel -- approximately 675 miles -- than either the Dempster (457 miles from outside Dawson City to Inuvik on the Mackenzie Delta near the Arctic Ocean) or Alaska's Dalton Highway (414 miles from north of Fairbanks to Deadhorse on Prudhoe Bay). Of course, both the Dempster and the Dalton require retracing your path to return. Avoiding the ferry, a similar round trip to Happy Valley-Goose Bay from Baie Comeau entails approximately the same distance on gravel as the Dempster and rated the highest number of possible bonus points in the first (eastern) leg of the 2007 Iron Butt Rally. Only one competitor seems to have tried it, but crashed his Honda Gold Wing in deep gravel outside Churchill Falls. Fortunately his injuries were minor, but his bike reportedly a total loss. (*quoted from: Reginald Howe)

The trip was challenging to the first time gravel rider and nature is in control there. I rode solo, not always a good idea and being deaf adds to the danger in case of a serious spill. I didn't apply for a satellite phone due to my deafness, but now have had a thought that I should have: I could have a hearing passerby call for me, huh!!!.

The TLH trip is neither dangerous and nor to be avoided. Just take your time and take into consideration of the remoteness, be in shape: physically and mentally. Folks up there go out of their way to assist you in times of need.

I believe that a whole, big section of our continent exists out there that has been virtually unexplored by the motorcycling segment of our population. Many good places and sceneries are only accessible on bad roads and these must be seen from a bike, not in Jeep.

I urge you to add this to your list of things to do and see before you die.

As for my perspective on being deaf on the road.....my being deaf had little or no hindrance. There may have been people who spoke to me and thought I was a snob because I did not respond to them....this happens quite frequently on and off the road. Those who might have shrugged me off and considered me an idiot thinking I shouldn't be on the road because I am deaf. As I said, there wasn't much hindrance, however, I wish that more of my deaf counterparts would take to the road and savor themselves to this wonderful culture of people up there. I think we could learn a thing or two from them: embrace nature and survive in it, no hearing needed!

Home with my Frau....

Many thanks, to my readers, for your support during my travels. It meant a lot to me and gave me an occassional boost in spirit, strength, and endurance.
Again..do the TLH..it will forever be etched in your mind. I did it at the young age of 63, was probably the oldest rider in the month of July 2008. Cheers...I bid you Adieu...Aufwiedersehen...Au Revoir...Hasta La Vista...Good-Bye

YOUR MAN (THAT WAS) ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-13-2008 at 01:54 PM
Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #232
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,942
Congrats on your safe passage. Loved the pictures and learned a few things on the way. Oh and welcome home!
Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #233
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Welcome back home to NC!!! Thank you for taking us along for the ride. Learned new things about deaf culture (will no longer assume, if I get no response, that means the person is ignoring me...he/she may be DEAF!!!)..and will definitely speak clearly and slowly (not loud) to a deaf person. Glad your ride was uneventful...except for that one spill you took. I have such profound appreciation for the northeastern wilderness thanks to your pictures. Guess I won't tackle riding thru Trans-Lab highway on my VESPA...instead, I'll say I lived thru it via ABENTEUERFAHRER!!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #234
4power
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Great ride report. I'm glad you enjoyed Hanover and the surrounding areas. I live about 15 minutes west of Abbottstown. The pictures you took of those areas are like old friends to me, I ride those roads frequently and never tire of them. Your report was a great adventure the whole way through.
4power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #235
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Thumb

Welcome home my friend!! I have followed your report from day one and have enjoyed every minute and every picture, thanks for sharing it with the world!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #236
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Welcome home and thanks for sharing such a great ride with us!

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #237
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,846
What next?

Thanks for the ride report.
Looked forward to the latest posts every day.
Fantastic tale.

Going sailing is next? Still have that 37ft cutter?

George

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #238
FirstMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
great wrap up. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #239
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

OLD LION....we had been sailing for over 20 years before giving something else a chance: motorcycling was akin to sailing; rains, wind in the face, bugs, aroma of the sea/land...etc., only that on a bike you go through gale force winds ALL the time, he! ELSHA, our steel cutter is now plowing through the ocean waters of the world by a new owner.

Cheers.....YOUR MAN STUCK IN THE HOUSE
Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #240
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,886
Truly one of the best ride reports ever. Great pictures and narrative. Obviously you savoured the journey, and were thoughtful enough to share. Very well done!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24898278
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote