Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
AdvSkier
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
One more bike worth looking at that might be better suited to your needs is the KTM690 Adventure. It has plenty of power, and weighs barely over 315lbs.

I owned a 950, and while the bike was capable, something about wrestling a very heavy expensive bike around in the dirt kept me off a lot of trails I woould have easily ridden on a 690.
The 990 fuel tanks are expensive and can break.
I've seen good riders do amazing things on the 990's, but they bought the bikes to ride hard and were willing to pay the price.
AdvSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #17
bretoneer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
The Key

"I've seen good riders do amazing things on the 990's, but they bought the bikes to ride hard and were willing to pay the price."

This statement well sums up riding ANY of the big ADV bikes on or off road. If one is a very competent rider, rides hard, and is willing to pay the price, both in personal injury and damage to the bike, then just about any of the big ADV bikes can be handled like a pro on or off road.

Dare I say for the majority of us mere mortals it is in the skill and physical conditioning department that holds us to lower levels of perfection when riding the big guys, especially off road.

A great rider willing to pay the price of replacing machinery more frequently than the guy who wants to get 50-100,000 miles out of his ride can ride the humble DL 650 Suzuki quite proficiently off road, and do it far better than one of us lesser skilled and daring members riding a 950/990 or the 800GS.

It's all in the skill, juevos, and budget if the bike is to be ridden hard and treated as disposable.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvSkier
One more bike worth looking at that might be better suited to your needs is the KTM690 Adventure. It has plenty of power, and weighs barely over 315lbs.
I don't believe it has even been officially announced yet by KTM, so we're probably at least a year or two away from shipping, probably more in the US.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #19
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
I talked to the KTM guys at mid ohio this weekend about a 690Adventure. I demo'ed the 690 Duke and loved the motor so I started asking about a 690A and the 3 dealers that where there and the demo crew all said that it was a long shot. They all said that sales were so low on the 640A's that it would take a huge market shift for KTM to release a 690A. I was bummed :( I cant believe the balls that 690 has. Its amazing for a single.

So I rode the 990A. WOW was all I could say. Perfect motor, roll on power in any gear at any RPM. It felt light for a big bike, the brakes were excellent and it handled great. Standing up over the bars felt just like a dirt bike. I LOVED that bike and its on the top of my list right now. The reliability issues and upper 30's MPG's are my only concerns. I really need a bike with a better tank range.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #20
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvSkier
The 690 Enduro weighs that much. How would the Adventure version not carry any extra weight? And does the 690 Adventure even exist?

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #21
AdvSkier
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
My mistake.
I meant the straight 690, not the A. Claimed weight is 305lbs.
AdvSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #22
Crashing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
f800gs-1000 miles review

I just rented one of these brand new from Moto Mader in Switzerland. Impressive bike. I rode it about 1500KM in 4 days through Swiss and Italian Alps near Andermatt and Pontresea (sp?). Mostly street but some dirt fire road type things. I am about 6"1" and about 205# and ride a Buell Ulysses at home along with a DRZ400 and a RMX250 Suzuki

+
1)Seat and riding position=super comfortable
2)Great Luggage
3)ABS makes the brakes feel soft so I had it off most of the time except in really sketchy conditions (0 degrees and rain/snow)-nice to have a choice I guess
4)good power through the range for a light great handling bike like this fully loaded--not camping just hoteling it but had a lot of stuff because I had work samples with me and my laptop and stuff (about 60lbs of gear extra)
5) super stable off road with big dirt bike style foot pegs (removed rubber pads) and high and wide handlebars (good quality bars too)
6) heated grips rock! 2 positions-low and hot. With only leather gloves and some very cold temps these were great
7) minimal damage when dumped over--I layed it down once at 0 mph on a gravely righthand uphill switchback on day 2 looking for a lower gear fully loaded. It was a bitch to pick up because it was so new I didn't want to throw it over so the wheels would be downhill like I would have my DRZ. This was rider error but a lower gear would have definitely helped. Basically a gouge on the saddlebag and a scratch on the handguard was all I saw from that.
8) decent wind protection from stock shield. I was packing light and didn't have the full compliment of gear I have in the states but was pretty comfortable with the heated grips and protection on the bike

-
1) Leaked oil from day one--I think someone overfilled it maybe? It was leaking high in the top end somewhere. Never enough for me to refill but significant enough to spray my left pant leg pretty good-probably 4 oz or so in that amount of miles. I found a guy with some tools and retorqued the side case a bit thinking that was it but it wasn't.
2) headllight fell off attachments but was still wired in--not tightened enough at factory?--duct taped initially stopped at a hardware store and replace bolts no more trouble
3) zipper pulls on the tank bag broke the first day due to harder to use waterproof-type zippers I think.
4) could have used a lower 1st gear (see #7 above)

In the just one bike category, if the engine turns out to be decent and the oil thing was a fluke, I would say this is a great choice and you could go most places on this bike save the real gnarly off road single track type stuff and maybe with some full knobbies you could even do that although not really what the bike would be good at. One of the best 4 day m/c rides you can take if you have the time and are in the area IMO.

no nothing about the 990--sorry
Crashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #23
Krummemusic
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 62
I had them both...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinColorado View Post
My buddies just bought 2 of the 990's and I was wondering what the competition is...

We do a lot of dirt with the pavement simply being a means to get to the next dirt road...

I saw the BMW 800 GS and was wondering if it is as capable off road.

I spent all last week keeping up with these guys on my minimally street legal CRF 450X... great in the dirt... but lousy on those long loops.

So... one vs. the other... how do the BMW's compare to the KTM's if the riding is mostly off road???
I had the privilege to own 2 x a 990 Adv and now an 800 GS.
In short..
I clocked 55,000 km on the 990s...never managed to make more then 8,000 km without having to bring it on a truck to the next dealer. Clutch slave cylinder, sudden battery deaths, thermostats, cooling system..overheating in stop-and-go....the rest..I forgot..numerous !
So got a F800 to do a 20,000km tour to remote areas....problem...a light bump died.
When I think of KTM..I think of daring guys who bring their bikes on trailers to a 1-2 days off road tour into the Rockies. Or this Austrian fellow who probably has a direct line to KTM service to interrupt production if he calls in with a problem. If I think of F800s....I think of guys going to the end of the world.
On off road capability I think the limit is the driver...not the bike.
What you can't do with 85 bhp BMW, you can't do with 110 bhp KTM either.
Yeah..the KTM was fun to ride...and an adventure bike where the bike WAS the adventure. Long time that you posted this thread....but as a humble sharing of experience for those who might have the same question (now 1190)...
Cheers
ULI
Krummemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
6 years...... I think that is a record.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
Christof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
6 years...... I think that is a record.....
Or, he coulda started a new thread and have an oldtimer inform him that the topic has been covered...

This week I upgraded the forks and shock to adjustable components and put on a pair of K60's. It certainly has made the machine more dirt worthy (and roadworthy for that matter). Much less frightening physically, but I'm still scared of what it will cost to repair if I drop it badly. Is it now on a par with the Orange Legends? I dunno, I think all of the mid and big adv bikes are pigs in the dirt for most of us mortals. Which is why I've ordered a WR250.

So the answer to the OP's question is, "buy more motorcycles!"

Note- imo the K60s are as tough as nails. The guy in Antalya who mounted them asked me if I was going to Gurjistan! (Georgia) He was serious. He informed me that for Turkish conditions I should put on Metzeler Next or Dunlops. After a week I think he is right and I'll save the Heidis for the trip to Magadan!
Christof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,837
DAMMIT!

Got sucked into an old thread before realizing.

In my observations, KTM's are for those guys that have something to prove.

Upgrade the BMW suspension and get the best of both worlds.

I'd rather get there, perhaps a bit later, but still get there.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #27
bbenn75820
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
DAMMIT!

Got sucked into an old thread before realizing.

In my observations, KTM's are for those guys that have something to prove.

Upgrade the BMW suspension and get the best of both worlds.

I'd rather get there, perhaps a bit later, but still get there.

Could you elaborate on what " something to prove" is?
bbenn75820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #28
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenn75820 View Post
Could you elaborate on what " something to prove" is?
Nope.

This aint JM.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #29
bbenn75820
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
I am fully aware this is the bmw 800gs thread. I know that because at the top is says this:

ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe > BMW 800 GS vs the KTM 990 S
bbenn75820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #30
Reaver
Outta Here

Have a nice day.