Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,003
Talking Images and Words, Scenes From a Memorable Tour

Big Man, Little Bike, Big Miles, Little Time

***edit, The last page of this report contains a father and son adventure***

My bike is loaded and ready to roll. I have owned it for 6 years now. I purchased it new in 2002. Recently, I've been bitten by the new bike bug. This is the longest I've ever owned a bike. After this ride I have new respect and admiration for this bike. (Not to mention my body is now deformed to fit it.)

For years I've poured over paper maps looking at all the squiggly lines and scenic spots I would someday like to ride. Being a husband and father I've never ventured out more than a few days at a time. This has led me to riding some of the same roads over and over. I decided it was time to venture out to some new roads and rediscover the fun of a new, twisty, and scenic road.

I prefer to ride alone, so it's not a bad thing my wife doesn't care for riding. I completed this ride solo in only 10 days.

I can't go very far in only 10 days...

I rode through 11 states...

...and the 11th State was New Mexico for about 1 mile at four corners. (Does that count?) I was only in New Mexico for about 1 minute. They didn't post a sign welcoming me...

...and 2 Canadian Provinces

When planning this route the miles added up to about 5800. I had to leave off many places I wanted to ride to keep the mileage doable. I have ridden 500 miles a day for 4 days straight before, but wasn't sure if I could keep it up for 10 days straight. I was also aware some of the roads I planned to ride would be impossible to make good time on.

I managed to add miles and completed the 10 day ride with 6115 miles ridden. I capture 1388 photos (equal to one photo every 4.4 miles).

Here's a few more teaser shots.

The ride included the lowest point of land in the Western Hemisphere (Badwater Basin 282 feet below sea level) and the highest motorable road in North America (Mt. Evans 14,130 feet above sea level).

Let's go for a little ride...

dave6253 screwed with this post 08-06-2008 at 04:33 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote