Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #91
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
600 mile maint. - your not paying enough ;-) & possible fork clunk suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel
Picked it up tonight and it turns out they only charged 40.63, which was a pleasant surprise.

I mentioned the clonking forks when I dropped it off and they said they've checked everything over and there is nothing wrong with the bike and they've compared it with the other two 800s they had in and they're all identical.
Interesting on the 600 mile service. Here in the USA they make a big deal of it and say it typically runs $350.00 USD ... which is considerably more than the USA equal of 40....

On the folks ... is the clunking on heavy compression or when the forks are "topping out" that is most of the weight is off the front of the bike?

If it is the later case, I might recommend adding a small amount of extra fork oil to each fork ... maybe 10ml and see if it gets better.
I have used that fix successfully on my past bike.... I changed fork oil as maintenance item and started getting clunking with forks fully extended ... another 10ml of oil in each tube patched things right up....

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #92
Uriel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Actually, there was something I picked up on when the guy was giving me the invoice. He said something along the lines of "Your contribution for the service is 40". It sounded as though I wasnt' being charged the full amount. The invoice is for a gasket, the filter and oil (Castrol GPD 10W-40). No labour.

I'm not 100% on the forks. I'll no doubt get a better feel for it as I put more miles on it, but it feels exactly as I'd expect loose head bearings to feel. Like a small 'clonk' whenever the direction of the force on the forks changes...when you hit a bump and they start to compress or if you come off a bump or hit a recess in the road and the forks extend. But only if it's a fairly sharp action. Like if you hit a new piece of surfacing on the road that's higher, it'll do it as you hit the ridge, but nothing when the forks then settle back down.

I'm not worried about it. I can't feel anything amiss when riding and if I'm at a stand still and bounce the front end up and down with the brake held I don't feel or hear is, as I'd expect if te forks or yokes were moving about in the headstock.

2008 BMW F800GS
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #93
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Well, you may wish to put the bike on the centrestand or otherwise suspend the front wheel. Then standing in front of the bike, grasp the forks left and right at the place where the wheel attaches (axel). Push and pull smartly to see if you sense any movement.

No harm in trying.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote