Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #631
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342

I'd sell my own grandmother for that rig.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #632
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc

I'd sell my own grandmother for that rig.
i'd sell her too!!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #633
bill_powell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenben

Certainly is a handsome rig. Is that an Omar fairing?
Thanks, I appreciate it. The fairing is an old Firth Design Group Piranha; mid 1970s.
bill_powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:24 AM   #634
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Set up

Set-up:

It’s a 2002 BMW 1150 GS with a chair of SchŲne LiniŽ (Nice Lines) from Germany. Attachments are from Motek. The front swing-arm is a prototype of the single arm leading-link from Mobec with MCC Smart bearings with adaptors and some improvements. It also has the Duo-Drive from Mobec. (two-wheel drive connected with shafts from VW Golf, and a VW Syncro (or Audi) viscous coupling and a wet chain-box). The visco-drive gives 15 - 20% power all the time on the sidecarwheel, but depending on wheelslip and throttle position it can fully lock up tot 100%). Wheels all are 4 J front wheels of the Mercedes MCC Smart. I also had wider rims and tyres, but didn’t like that. Wheels fit everywhere and therefore I mostly ride with the Conti Wintercontact wintertyres, since they can be fitted in either direction. It’s really easy to get the snowchains on these very cheap wheels. Furthermore there are some parts from Wunderlich and Touratech on it. Sidecar shocks are from Bilstein. Front Wilbers, Back Technoflex improved Wilbers. Brakes are from the K100S. Other items are home built improvements. Remus exhaust (no kat) and some minor jobs on the engine. I estimate over 50 Hp at the wheel (on both wheels), but that’s a guess because ofcourse it’s impossible to measure that. I bought it second-hand two years ago and it was imported from Germany into the Netherlands. I’m still improving it. It’s not a full-speed off-road hack (very heavy) but more like a tractor or a Unimog. It just takes you everywere. Even with a trailer behind it. Certainly in comparison with the other hacks I used to have. Even with a trailer behind it. It’s pretty heavy, but 105 Mph or 170 Kmh fully loaded on the German Autobahn is possible.

@ Hogwild, it’s a recovered tyre, size 155 / 15 (not for highway use) and with the knobs a lot higher than the 145/65-15 winter- and summertyres I have and tyres like these you therefore can get in all sizes and depending on the width of the tyre you have 2 up to 5 rows of knobs. This particular one is pretty soft. Good in deep mud and sand, but you wear them out fast on harder grounds. I got them from a shop nearby, where they build dune buggy type autocross cars. I believe it’s an imitation of the “Cross 1” by Immler tyres from Germany,where the Immler brothers recover and make special tyres, which also were used in the “Dakar” as you probably allready know. I can put in some internetlinks, but am not sure if that’s allowed.

That’s it for now. Excuse me for my probably bad english, but as you have understood by now, I’m Dutch.

Any questions, just fire them at me.

Richard-NL

Richard-NL screwed with this post 08-16-2008 at 01:39 AM
Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #635
boottothedoor
The Muddy

Oddometer: 37
No questions...but much admiration. That is an incredible bike.
"I hate cities. To me they are just large containers for the desperate. Out in the rural areas one can be poor, but still live with integrity and self respect. I normally avoid cities like the plague when on a bike trip. Today I need what it offers though and so we descend." - metaljockey

Actually bird is the word...but the bird says mum. So we're gonna go with that. Over and out, dude.
boottothedoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #636
Johnny Wolvo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Brilliant!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL
That is one BRILLIANT outfit. Like Hogwilds Harley outfit, that BMW comes top of the shop. I am 72 years old, but I would just love to give your BMW rig a new home. More photographs please. Are those forks made by VMC of Holland, as the pivot plates look like VMC to me.

Many thanks for some wonderful photographs.

Johnny Wolverson......UK.

Itís a 2002 BMW 1150 GS with a chair of SchŲne LiniŽ (Nice Lines) from Germany. Attachments are from Motek. The front swing-arm is a prototype of the single arm leading-link from Mobec with MCC Smart bearings with adaptors and some improvements. It also has the Duo-Drive from Mobec. (two-wheel drive connected with shafts from VW Golf, and a VW Syncro (or Audi) viscous coupling and a wet chain-box). The visco-drive gives 15 - 20% power all the time on the sidecarwheel, but depending on wheelslip and throttle position it can fully lock up tot 100%). Wheels all are 4 J front wheels of the Mercedes MCC Smart. I also had wider rims and tyres, but didnít like that. Wheels fit everywhere and therefore I mostly ride with the Conti Wintercontact wintertyres, since they can be fitted in either direction. Itís really easy to get the snowchains on these very cheap wheels. Furthermore there are some parts from Wunderlich and Touratech on it. Sidecar shocks are from Bilstein. Front Wilbers, Back Technoflex improved Wilbers. Brakes are from the K100S. Other items are home built improvements. Remus exhaust (no kat) and some minor jobs on the engine. I estimate over 50 Hp at the wheel (on both wheels), but thatís a guess because ofcourse itís impossible to measure that. I bought it second-hand two years ago and it was imported from Germany into the Netherlands. Iím still improving it. Itís not a full-speed off-road hack (very heavy) but more like a tractor or a Unimog. It just takes you everywere. Even with a trailer behind it. Certainly in comparison with the other hacks I used to have. Even with a trailer behind it. Itís pretty heavy, but 105 Mph or 170 Kmh fully loaded on the German Autobahn is possible.

@ Hogwild, itís a recovered tyre, size 155 / 15 (not for highway use) and with the knobs a lot higher than the 145/65-15 winter- and summertyres I have and tyres like these you therefore can get in all sizes and depending on the width of the tyre you have 2 up to 5 rows of knobs. This particular one is pretty soft. Good in deep mud and sand, but you wear them out fast on harder grounds. I got them from a shop nearby, where they build dune buggy type autocross cars. I believe itís an imitation of the ďCross by Immler tyres from Germany,where the Immler brothers recover and make special tyres, which also were used in the ďDakarĒ as you probably allready know. I can put in some internetlinks, but am not sure if thatís allowed.

Thatís it for now. Excuse me for my probably bad english, but as you have understood by now, Iím Dutch.

Any questions, just fire them at me.

Richard-NL
That is one BRILLIANT outfit. Like Hogwilds Harley outfit, that BMW comes top of the shop. I am 72 years old, but I would just love to give your BMW rig a new home. More photographs please. Are those forks made by VMC of Holland, as the pivot plates look like VMC to me.

Many thanks for some wonderful photographs.

Johnny Wolverson......UK.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #637
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,557
VERY VERY NICE RIG!!
We built a single sided swingarm leading link a while back and it worked well. I was not happy with the pivot bearing setup and removed it from the bike due to that. Hope to get back onto it soon. Sure is a nice feature as far as being able to rotate tires etc etc. Ours used 165r15 tires all around and was more street focused.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #638
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Damn the weak dollar
Old 08-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #639
stankenpankens
Sushi Mofongo

Oddometer: 65
i'm loving your rig, Richard!

I love that snow shot! Makes me miss Colorado, where I grew up, now stuck in New Jersey....
I've been looking a bit more at this forum, as I'd love to get a sidecar setup so I could introduce the offspring to the fun.
stankenpankens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #640
buddha
buried in the sand...

Oddometer: 706
here's my new (to me) 2006 Gear-Up, bought from inmate kliff last week...

Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #641
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha
here's my new (to me) 2006 Gear-Up, bought from inmate kliff last week...

kliff obviously never rode that thing...get out and get it dirty!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #642
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wolvo
More photographs please. Are those forks made by VMC of Holland, as the pivot plates look like VMC to me.
There are no parts of VMC on it, Mr. Wolverson.

Richard-NL
Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #643
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Here’s another “Adventure Hack” I would like to show you all.

In Octobre last year (2007) I was visiting Horst Ullrich’s shop and took this pic. The birth of a new Adventure Hack.

This spring (April) I saw the result. The pictures below were made at a sidecar meeting in Germany.

Here on the left side (I’m not that small, the bike is just huge).

The right side:

Front view:

Rear view:

The engine is of a MZ 1000. Horst Ullrich is the builder. He’s the guy in the red suit on the rear view picture. He’s made more world-travel-hacks and was involved in the building of a couple “Dakar-outfits”. He has his own ideas and nothing changes that. Customer wishes? Forget it if it does not comply with his ideas of a proper sidecar. I like him.

The bike was amazingly silent. I think we all would drill some holes in the exhaust. It gets however more and more difficult here (Europe and especially Germany) to get these kind of bikes streetlegal because of the environmental demands and sound issues.

Hope you liked it and yes, I allready had a hearcut .....

Richard-NL

Richard-NL screwed with this post 08-18-2008 at 01:02 PM
Old 08-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #644
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,677
wow...what a rig!

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #645
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

This confirms my suspicions that the Dutch are completely insane.

I love it