Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
"A" OP
numbum

Oddometer: 344
Up Googs and Over the Simpson to the OCR

Up Googs and over the Simpson but it was no Adel or Lorella for me. I guess we all know what it is like - we carefully plan out a trip and give it a pre-run in the minds eye (sort of a mental video clip of the perfect journey) but reality can be somewhat different. My "boys own adventure" came to an abrupt end 40 k's short of Bedourie.
Belly and I left Albany on a cold, wet and windy day after lunch.

We stayed in Esperance for the night after a ride that reinforced my decision to fit handlebar grip heaters to the bike. My muffler blew to pieces so the morning was spent fitting a 12 inch hot dog and then it was "boots and saddles" once again. We made Caiguna and called it stumps for the night.
Meanwhile, my brother Fred and his riding mate Colin who we planned to join some days down the track were having some fun of their own. They chose to follow the old telegraph track east of Israelite Bay and it had rained and rained......

The magnificent Bilbunya Dunes

After the dunes it was up the Wylie Scarp to join the old telegraph track for some more challenges for the lads.

And back to the old Suzuki Fat Wheeler days. Actually the RV 125 is the bike on which Fred and I really learnt to ride circa 1974!

It took Fred and Colin 7 hours to do 70 kilometres - the above image giving you a bit of an idea as to why.Eventually things dried up and they made their way eastward along various coastal tracks and across the border to Ceduna.
Belly and I were a couple of days behind but basically stuck to the bitumen thereby avoiding mud and the odd wombat hole (eh Colin!).

We headed North just before Ceduna and stayed a short distance up the road at a farmers residence. We had previously sent our Michelin Desert tyres there so it was out with the tyre irons and on with the new rubber. In the process Belly perfected the art of pinching ultra heavy duty tubes. It's all in the timing - 15 minutes after fitting the rear wheel, psssssst, down she goes.
Next morning we wasted some more time as I vainly searched for my keys. They only live in the flight deck right!
Wrong.

My response to Belly for milking the issue for what it was worth -

Anyway, as you can see the sun is already above the horizon so we arced the Euro machinery up and headed for the bush. At the start of Googs Track the X had a little lay down when I was wheeling it around. The old airhead horizontally opposed BMW twins are easier to pick up because on most occaisions they don't fall over that far. In fact I've been lucky in the past with them having dropped the old GS only to have it bounce back up and then carry on around the corner.

So there you are, I've made a start to this little saga. Call it chapter 1 I suppose. Next chance I'll have a go at describing the Googs Track and Simpson Desert crossing.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote