ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2004, 04:17 AM   #31
DNFjoe OP
Did Not Finnish

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy
Guys, think that I am going to head out to Greenridge State Park out by Handcock, MD. I have done a lot of camping out there, but never ridden. There are a lot of dirt roads and a specific ORV ride, do not know to much about it. I know that there are a couple streams to cross, and some hills. This will be my first real off road ride on my GS so it should be intresting. It is bout 60 miles west of Frederick. Let me know anyone is intrested.
this sounds great too, same as above, need to ride on days when the wife is working, will post which day it is, Joe
Old 07-08-2004, 06:18 AM   #32
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
I hoping to go up to New York and pick the bike the bike up next week. It is 5 years old but brand new so I'll have to give a slight break in. After that I'll try anything once. Yes, it black.
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:27 AM   #33
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFjoe
this sounds great too, same as above, need to ride on days when the wife is working, will post which day it is, Joe

Here is a little ride report from green ridge

http://www.pileofgarbage.com/septemb...mber142003.htm
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:29 AM   #34
scorch
Poser

Tower city
http://www.pileofgarbage.com/october...tober12003.htm

The pits
http://www.pileofgarbage.com/1.10.04/11004.htm

Clinton
http://www.pileofgarbage.com/3.31.04/3.31.04.htm
Old 07-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #35
DNFjoe OP
Did Not Finnish

scorch, great pix! are all those areas less than legal to ride?
Old 07-09-2004, 06:55 PM   #36
scorch
Poser

Quote:
scorch, great pix! are all those areas less than legal to ride?
Pretty much. :) But cops are pretty cool with us.

Dirt riding tommorow if you are intersted.
email me at ricardor1@comcast.net if you want to come, ill email you directions and time.

riding in Clinton, MD with some other blokes.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #37
scorch
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsquiggy
Thanks Scorch, that was a nice trip down memory lane. Have fun tomorrow, see ya Sunday. Dave

Rode the pits today. Man, I really suck riding dirt. The xr has more power now that the valves have been adjusted, and it just snaps. I ran into a tree

Single tracks are pretty fun, but damm a 250 bike would be better. I love using a sledgehammer to do what a scalpel should do.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:11 AM   #38
DNFjoe OP
Did Not Finnish

Well the wife and I ended up hiking in George washington national forrest. It was a really long drive to do what we could do locally.

We were going to ride some trails in the ORV area, but you are not allowed to 2 up ride there. she was almost crying, this was what we were looking foward too all week! We watched some 4 wheelers blast around abit, and another guy load his cr250 or cr500 onto his truck, after that we were doomed.

I wanted to unload the bike and just ride around the roads, seen the scenery and crap, but she was insistant on finding some dirt roads her friend and she rode a car down to do some hiking.

In the end we hikes about 3 miles saw an amazing view of the valley below, got rained on while there, and put 0 miles on the bike on a 250 mile round trip.
yep had better days.

joe
Old 07-11-2004, 05:23 AM   #39
DNFjoe OP
Did Not Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch

email me at ricardor1@comcast.net if you want to come, ill email you directions and time.

Sorry I missed it. next sunday the wife is working and I'll be looking to ride. I am very tempted to go back to George Washington national forest. anyone interested?

leave arount 7am get there about 8:45 ride,ride,ride, and call it a day once we are thuroughly tired bruised and battered.

I have a full size truck so I could fit a couple of bikes in the back. ORV area does not require street legal bikes, sooo this is a good time for folks to break out thier XRs, KLX/KDX or even quads.

let me know if any are interested.

Joe
Old 07-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #40
LRoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch

Is that Clinton area the one south of the hospital? I totalled a car back on those trails about 8 million years ago. :-) At that time Pepco was getting pretty serious about keeping out the riff-raff.

I'm thinking of picking up a dual-sport (probably a DRZ400) and need a place to start being a dirt newbie. Legal would be nice, but I'd settle for a place that was even tolerated.
LRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #41
DNFjoe OP
Did Not Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoy
I'm thinking of picking up a dual-sport (probably a DRZ400)
don't rule out any used bikes! I could have had a 2002 klr650 (yeah heavy and sucks the most "off-road") or a 2002 xr650L (decent choice) for 3800/4500 dollars. both of them were less than 500 miles. any of them would have got me on the trails. Cycle trader has a few all the time with guys that have more money than brains looking to unload a never used dual sport with low miles.....wish I had it all over to make that first purchase...
Old 07-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #42
LRoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
don't rule out any used bikes! I could have had a 2002 klr650 (yeah heavy and sucks the most "off-road") or a 2002 xr650L (decent choice) for 3800/4500 dollars. both of them were less than 500 miles. any of them would have got me on the trails. Cycle trader has a few all the time with guys that have more money than brains looking to unload a never used dual sport with low miles.....wish I had it all over to make that first purchase...
I'm thinking both of those are pretty tall for the inseam challenged. I rode a Honda XR6-something about 5-10 years ago, it was a real struggle just to get the bleeping thing off the sidestand.

otoh - who knows what killer deals will pop up as the summer finishes.
LRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:19 AM   #43
DNFjoe OP
Did Not Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoy
I'm thinking both of those are pretty tall for the inseam challenged.
The suzuki/kawasaki 400 dual sports are taller than the 650s. plus have less seat area. My brother in law was pushing me that way for the purchase but they were more expensive, smaller gas tanks, less seat space (my wife and I do small 2up rides), taller to get on(I am 6')etc.

Just my observations.

Joe
Old 07-12-2004, 10:14 AM   #44
DNFjoe OP
Did Not Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndSPACE
Come out this way and and we'll both look stupid together. Just bought a Tiger and I'm sure I'll put a few scrathes in it. Last bike I rode off road has no peddles and I was chasing my 3 year old on his fifty. Sure hope KRS12Steve and 'poon and Jabba will show me how to keep the tires in the dirt and water out of the cylinders.
let me know if you have free time on sunday, I plan on riding some fireroads or ORV trails. trying to ride with a few of the locals.

Joe