Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,205
Wicked Another G/S on the road

Hey! I've been taking up valuable screen space by starting a new thread every time I run in to some problem with my G/S project. I'm likely to have more questions so I'm making this thread to keep it all in one place.

For a little history....

I started riding about 5 years ago. At the time I was in the Coast Guard and stationed on an island off the coast of Alaska. We averaged over 100" of a rain a year so for my first 2 years of riding it was ALWAYS wet. My first bike was this '84 KDX200. It barely ran when I got it but after minor tuning it scared the hell outta me.

Then I saw Easy Rider......yeah, I'm one of the guys that got into riding because of that movie. I didn't have a ton of money, but I ended up getting this '99 Vulcan 750 shipped up from Oregon for $3k. not bad!

I decided that when I got out of the CG I would ride my bike back home from Alaska to Georgia. The island I was on had 13 miles of paved road and the highest speed limit on the island was 45. The first time I ever had a motorcycle at 60mph for more than 10 seconds was when I got off the ferry in British Columbia on my ride home. Not a bad start to touring.

I slept in the woods for most of the trip home(power lines or next to radio towers) and decided I'd be better off with a more offroady bike if I wanted to avoid hotels or campgrounds. I'm cheap. I picked up a KLR. I had it for about a year, and 23,000 miles, before a little old lady pulled out in front of me. Here's my KLR.

I flew over the lady's hood, cracked my tibia on my handlebar enroute and dislocated my right shoulder upon my return to Mother Earth. I owe my armored jacket for the fact that I hit the pavement at 40mph and didn't break a bone. Now, I also wear full knee/shin pads every time I ride. Since I don't drive(my bug is still not running, 1 project at a time!) that's every day.

I got out of the hospital, got a hefty settlement from the insurance and bought a Harley Sportster.

Big mistake. I rode it on a trip to Mexico and it didn't do too well. It weighs almost 600 pounds. I was bottoming out the suspension on the highways and I was scared to ride it in the woods to find a campsite. Also, it drew waaaay too much attention for my liking in rural Mexico. It's a gorgeous bike, I've sat on the back porch just to stare at it, but it doesn't suit the type of riding I want to do.

That brings me up to about a month and a half ago when I found this
'85 r80G/S.

Last week it looked like this.....

edit: now it looks like this.

Thanks for the pic, Blaine

So far I've.....
DR650 fork (SS brake cable, Gold Valves, Eibach springs, SuperBrace, Fork Skins)
Rifle Roadster fairing, PD chin fairing, side covers
Pelican dashboard (TrailTech Vapor, 12v outlet)
Enduralast alternator, Valeo starter, points ignition
Hella FF-50 driving lights, new headlight bucket, new turn signals, LED running light, ATC type fuses
highway pegs, lowered footpegs, extended rear brake lever
HPN tank
Russell Saddle, good bye 70's-era shag-carpet-orange seat, hello 21st century!
gearbox rebuild, higher 5th, circlip
Ohlin's rear shock
Brown sidestand
Leather tank/fork bags alt cover bin, Kathy's Tube Stash, Pelican trunk
Jesse boxes w/ compartment & homemade racks
diamond plate bash guard
Wider footpegs with lowering brackets

now all I want to do is......
WP4860 front end with an Emig Racing 38mm offset triples a spare 17" motard rim and a steering damper
Omega Pistons
shaved r65 block
Shindy Master Cylinder/Brake lever
Motion Pro Clutch & cable
CC Products valve covers from SanJose BMW
HPN style frame bracing
adjust Russell seat/ recover in leather
mast step highway pegs
lower 1st gear
Mount r1100s tank along with new seat and sub frame and tank bag

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

thanks,