User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 AM   #31
Dr Chill
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bypassing controller

well that's explained something I found on the 2004 1200GS I just bought from a BMW main dealer. I saw an apparently bodged wiring connector on the fuel pump while I was looking under the plastic cover, but it is clearly the bypass "fix" mentioned and illustrated in this thread! Soooo, do I continue to run the bike as it is or take it back to have the controller fitted under warrenty?

The bike runs great, by the way.
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:18 AM   #32
andyw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I'd get the dealer to install a new controller under warranty and keep the bypass wiring icon
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #33
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
i would pay you for one...heck. i could just buy the connectors.
I haven't found that connector housing anywhere else on a BMW harness. It's similar to a few others but keyed slightly differently.

I used some accessory socket wiring (has the right female terminals) from a trashed harness and put that into the blue plug with a BMW plug on the other end. Every dead controller has one of these blue housings, so don't throw them away! Cut the blue end off and save it (or mail it to me!).
Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #34
xover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
The part number 16147694378
has been superseded by this one:

A post in italian but with some interesting images

http://www.quellidellelica.com/vbfor...d.php5?t=72125

good luck
Old 09-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #35
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by xover

good luck
looks like some intellegent posts.... i guess i need to learn Italian
Old 09-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #36
RideOnMyFriend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
My controller part number is higher

Quote:

good luck

I just had my controller replaced last week on my 07 1200GS and its pn is 16147720776. The turquoise seal ring is still the same recall number 16147694717
RideOnMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #37
kcodegt
kcodegt

Oddometer: 12
Awesome article

Got a 07 R12GSA and just had this problem last month on a dewy Chicago morning, Then last Saturday after my midnight shift and there was torential rains coming down starting the night before. There I am under an overpass soaked with a dead bike, had I known this issue last month I would have just replaced the damn controller my self and made a quick bypass harness for the "just in case" times. Yeah is sucked butt being under that overpass, so I let the rain slow down a bit and then pushed it up the on ramp to the island gs station. Love this bike and I ride in all crazy weather and I am a trained machanic and really do not trust my local dealer, so this thread is a lifesaver. Oh I did have to get towed and I ended driving instead of riding to Indy for the MotoGp's.....

Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #38
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:

good luck
Hacked english version here
Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #39
azgsa
Apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
I haven't found that connector housing anywhere else on a BMW harness. It's similar to a few others but keyed slightly differently.

I used some accessory socket wiring (has the right female terminals) from a trashed harness and put that into the blue plug with a BMW plug on the other end. Every dead controller has one of these blue housings, so don't throw them away! Cut the blue end off and save it (or mail it to me!).
I'm going to ask the dealer to keep my old controller when they open in the morning tomorrow. It's been in there for a week waiting on a new backordered controller. I am NOT going to take this bike on a ride without a bypass harness.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #40
RichK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxoutlaw
I'm going to ask the dealer to keep my old controller when they open in the morning tomorrow. It's been in there for a week waiting on a new backordered controller. I am NOT going to take this bike on a ride without a bypass harness.
I asked the dealer to let me keep what I needed to make a bypass harness and got a stern "NO, ALL PARTS ARE RETURNED TO GERMANY". I then mentioned folks are making a bypass harness to not get stranded, and got a "IF YOU READ IT ON THE INTERNET IT'S A LIE". I'm really trying to not be judgemental, and maybe someone was just having a bad day - it can happen. Hopefully it's going to be all right. I was a bit irritated I had to leave the bike vs. getting an initial assessment.

Rich
Old 09-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #41
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK
I asked the dealer to let me keep what I needed to make a bypass harness and got a stern "NO, ALL PARTS ARE RETURNED TO GERMANY". I then mentioned folks are making a bypass harness to not get stranded, and got a "IF YOU READ IT ON THE INTERNET IT'S A LIE". I'm really trying to not be judgemental, and maybe someone was just having a bad day - it can happen. Hopefully it's going to be all right. I was a bit irritated I had to leave the bike vs. getting an initial assessment.

Rich
All warranty parts are kept, usually to return to the factory for testing.

As for the rest, the guy needs a chill pill. It is amazing how much more some on the internet DO know than some of the dealers, though, of course, not everything you read on the internet is true!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #42
azgsa
Apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
All warranty parts are kept, usually to return to the factory for testing.

As for the rest, the guy needs a chill pill. It is amazing how much more some on the internet DO know than some of the dealers, though, of course, not everything you read on the internet is true!

Jim
Well, I'll ask and se what they say. Still waiting on a call back from this morning to see if they've even got the replacement controller in yet...

I don't tell 'em anything about the Internet. When I took it in last week for the appt I said "a few guys I know with GS's have had this same symptom and it turned out to be the fuel pump controller". Next day "We determined it was the fuel pump controller after the pump didn't return an error code".

So I'm guessing the reason this isn't a recall is there isn't a replacement part that seems to fix the root issue, from what I am reading on this and the UKGSER.com forum. There are some instances of multiple replacements. The failure mechanism seems to be inconsistent. It's been happening since model release in 2004, so obviously BMW doesn't have a handle on the issue. At this point (and long before) BMW knew this was an issue with the present R12GS fuel system design. Knowledge that the controller can (and does) fail causing the bike to stop rather suddenly seems like a liability issue. I know it was scary for me on the freeway 2 Saturdays ago in moderate traffic with construction and no shoulder to pull off on when my GSA started cutting out. I was very lucky at that point it didn't stop completely or I would have been at a dead stop in a 'live' lane on the freeway. It slowed to about 20mph and then started back up, a few times.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #43
DaneelOlivaw
Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr

Oddometer: 439
We've done 1078 BMW warranty repair orders this year, most of which contained at least some parts, rather than labor alone;.

A total of only about five parts have been requested for return by BMW this year; most of them were a certain police siren amplifier. This will be the case at most dealers; vast majority of failed warranty parts go to trash at the dealer.

Many auto and bike dealers tell customers that they cannot have their failed parts to take home because 'the manufacturer asks for them back'. These men are weak.

We instead tell the hard truth: Failed warranty parts only go back to BMW in rare circumstance. All failed warranty parts however are the exclusive property of BMWNA. BMW's dealer agreement forbids dealers from ever releasing failed warranty parts to vehicle owners. Rather, dealers are required, under a strictly controlled BMW regimen, to systematically dispose of these parts.
DaneelOlivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #44
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneelOlivaw
Many auto and bike dealers tell customers that they cannot have their failed parts to take home because 'the manufacturer asks for them back'. These men are weak.

We instead tell the hard truth: ...Rather, dealers are required, under a strictly controlled BMW regimen, to systematically dispose of these parts.
Define the strict traceability pursuant to the term "dispose". The truth now

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #45
RichK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneelOlivaw
We've done 1078 BMW warranty repair orders this year, most of which contained at least some parts, rather than labor alone;.

A total of only about five parts have been requested for return by BMW this year; most of them were a certain police siren amplifier. This will be the case at most dealers; vast majority of failed warranty parts go to trash at the dealer.

We instead tell the hard truth: Failed warranty parts only go back to BMW in rare circumstance. All failed warranty parts however are the exclusive property of BMWNA. BMW's dealer agreement forbids dealers from ever releasing failed warranty parts to vehicle owners. Rather, dealers are required, under a strictly controlled BMW regimen, to systematically dispose of these parts.
Yes, but I read it on the internet so it must be a lie.

Rich