ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #106
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Selby Camping Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Will we be able to camp at Selby or will they have it closed for the workday? And should I bring money for camping fees?
I spoke with Ryan Cooper (BLM) and the Selby Campground will be closed friday due to the open trenches for the irrigation system. I didn't think to ask, but I suspect it may be opened for Saturday night, if we get all the open trenches covered.

CAMPING OPTIONS

1) "Car Camping" as the BLM calls it. You can pull along side of the road and camp on public land out here, as long as you are up in the foothills, off the valley floor. NO CAMPFIRES, but you can use cook stoves. There is a good spot just outside the entrance to the Selby Campground. No Fees

2) KCL Campground is located about 8 miles south of the turn to Selby and has 8 sites with fire-rings, 4 without. No fees.

3) Special ADV dirt lot camping at the MU Ranch. Located 3 miles north of 166/33 on Soda Lake Road (25+ miles south of Selby), this lovely dirt parking lot is on a closed-to-the-publiic BLM administrative site (and my residence). It will be a secure place to leave your tent and gear during the work-day, and if Selby is still closed Saturday evening, this will be the location of the ADV free beer drink-a-thon. sorry no campfires, we could fire up the grill though. Still no fees.

Quote:
Sounds great! I'd be happy to ride with y'all to Taft for grub. Is Taft the only source of good eats in the area? I do like to play the field when I am traveling.
Did I say Taft had good eats? Oops.

Not much to the north, or west to my knowledge. Taft has a variety of fastfood chains and other restaurants (my favorite is a Thai/Pizza and Blues joint) as well as many 24 hour gas stations. In McKittrick at the junction of 33/58 the Penny Bar serves breakfast/lunch/dinner. Beteen Taft and McKittrick on 33 is the Tumbleweed Cafe and Bar open 6 am to 9. No fuel between Taft and Santa Margarita, unless Shandon has something I don't know of.

South of the Carrizo in Maricopa at 166/33 you can find food at Tina's Diner and a Subway as well as fuel 24 hours. In the Cuyama Valley on 33 toward Ojai breakfst/lunch/dinner at The Place and daytime fuel at the Pistachio Farm. On 166 at New Cuyama, you can find the Burger barn and Daytime fuel. I think the Buckhorn is closed.

ddennis669 screwed with this post 09-21-2008 at 10:23 AM
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #107
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669
I spoke with Ryan Cooper (BLM) and [B]the Selby Campground will be closed friday ...

CAMPING OPTIONS

1) "Car Camping" as the BLM calls it. You can pull along side of the road and camp on public land out here, as long as you are up in the foothills, off the valley floor. NO CAMPFIRES, but you can use cook stoves. There is a good spot just outside the entrance to the Selby Campground. This would be good for a shorter commute on Saturday morning, just in case... , although a ride on the way to work would be OK with me too.

2) KCL Campground is located about 8 miles south of the turn to Selby and has 8 sites with fire-rings, 4 without. No fees. OK too

3) Special ADV dirt lot camping at the MU Ranch. Located 3 miles north of 166/33 on Soda Lake Road (25+ miles south of Selby), this lovely dirt parking lot is on a closed-to-the-publiic BLM administrative site (and my residence). It will be a secure place to leave your tent and gear during the work-day, and if Selby is still closed Saturday evening, this will be the location of the ADV free beer drink-a-thon. sorry no campfires, we could fire up the grill though. Still no fees.

Well, that settles it for me!

Did I say Taft had good eats? Oops.

Not much to the north, or west to my knowledge. Taft has a variety of fastfood chains and other restaurants (my favorite is a Thai/Pizza and Blues joint) as well as many 24 hour gas stations. In McKittrick at the junction of 33/58 the Penny Bar serves breakfast/lunch/dinner. Beteen Taft and McKittrick on 33 is the Tumbleweed Cafe and Bar open 6 am to 9. No fuel between Taft and Santa Margarita, unless Shandon has something I don't know of.

I'll try out anything good and/or odd.

South of the Carrizo in Maricopa at 166/33 you can find food at Tina's Diner and a Subway as well as fuel 24 hours. In the Cuyama Valley on 33 toward Ojai breakfst/lunch/dinner at The Place and daytime fuel at the Pistachio Farm. On 166 at New Cuyama, you can find the Burger barn and Daytime fuel. I think the Buckhorn is closed.
highlights in orange - my comments in yellow.

What about this place?
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #108
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Im gunna head out there on Thursday to get a few days of relaxing in, where should I camp so that I dont miss everyine?!

So we can camp anywhere out on the plain? How does that work....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #109
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
Im gunna head out there on Thursday to get a few days of relaxing in, where should I camp so that I dont miss everyine?!

I like dennis' suggestion (psst - free beer! )

And here is a link from the dual sporter's guide to the Chorizo Tortilla:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/baker...o/camping.html
Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #110
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
...is Song Dog still open? That was a great momo camp site.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #111
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
...is Song Dog still open? That was a great momo camp site.

to the public.... that would be a no

Treadless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #112
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Quote:

Would ya like some company?
I'm blowin' off a bunch of stuff to make it this weekend, so since I'm bailing I could leave a day earlier. What say?

Oh and don't count on me for more footage for the up coming feature film.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #113
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Wish I was ride'in on the plain fri. Got to work Sat.
Have fun all you FF's

Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #114
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless
Would ya like some company?
I'm blowin' off a bunch of stuff to make it this weekend, so since I'm bailing I could leave a day earlier. What say?

Oh and don't count on me for more footage for the up coming feature film.
Ill be up in SB tomorrow.... planning on leaving thursday morning..... how much fire wood can you pack on your GS?

and you might not be able to choose whether or not you're in my next short....
Quote:
Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #115
ddennis669
Adventurer

Quote:

I will be working until 4-5 PM on Thursday and Friday. If you can stop by on Thursday, I'd be glad to see you. I will ride to Selby Saturday morning for the work-day. If you want to camp at my dirt-lot you are very welcome.

Remember that Selby is closed, and the only place you can have campfires is the KCL campgrounds. If you "Car-Camp", use only your cook-stoves. You may have the KCL to yourselves Thursday night, if that is where you decide to stay.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #116
ddennis669
Adventurer

Updates

The weather for the Carrizo Plain and the Tri-Cities Area (Simmler/California Valley/Carrisa Plains ):

Daytime temperatures will approach the high 90's by Thursday, and dropping toward the weekend with a high of possibly 90 on Saturday (sunblock and a hat). The skies will be blue.

The evening skies will be clear and full of stars, with overnight lows in the upper 50's. Temperatures at the south end (the MU Ranch) will be slightly cooler and overnight lows have been recorded this week at 40 degrees.

CURRENT WEATHER DATA FOR WASHBURN RANCH (located between KCL and Selby)
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=hnx&sid=CAZC1&num=48

CAMPING ADVISORY
There is a chance that KCL campground will fill up by Friday with Selby closed. ADVriders are very welcome to camp at the MU Ranch at the south end. I will be home by 5:00 PM on Friday. We can make a dinner ride to Taft. With little moonlight the ride back up Elkhorn Grade ought to be a riot.

Link to MU Ranch location
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.058107&z=14
Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #117
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:

CAMPING ADVISORY

There is a chance that KCL campground will fill up by Friday with Selby closed. ADVriders are very welcome to camp at the MU Ranch at the south end. I will be home by 5:00 PM on Friday. We can make a dinner ride to Taft. With little moonlight the ride back up Elkhorn Grade ought to be a riot.

Thank you for the weather note. Me and a friend are planning on lunch in Parkfield, and then thru the Carrizo to meet up with folks on Friday eve. I'll be drinking cleaning products and be open to suggestions. (TW) Are all y'all FF meeting up at the MU for a dinner ride to Taft?

I see your headed over on Thursday Mike, but I have a conference all day (but its the kind with free beer at the end ) so I can't make it any earlier. Its been a long stretch since Warped I... what will you be riding? I am still on the gray KTM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #118
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Quote:
I see your headed over on Thursday Mike, but I have a conference all day (but its the kind with free beer at the end ) so I can't make it any earlier. Its been a long stretch since Warped I... what will you be riding? I am still on the gray KTM.
I'll be on the GS (the red fast one ) so that I can haul fire wood for pasta boy.

Meeting place is sounding like Dave's place for the convenience to food factor. My guess it will be a last minute choice depending on who pipes up with what. I'll be self sufficient so it makes no difference to me. note to self; WATER!

Is it time to go yet?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #119
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
The weather for the Carrizo Plain and the Tri-Cities Area (Simmler/California Valley/Carrisa Plains ):

Daytime temperatures will approach the high 90's by Thursday, and dropping toward the weekend with a high of possibly 90 on Saturday (sunblock and a hat). The skies will be blue.

The evening skies will be clear and full of stars, with overnight lows in the upper 50's. Temperatures at the south end (the MU Ranch) will be slightly cooler and overnight lows have been recorded this week at 40 degrees.

CURRENT WEATHER DATA FOR WASHBURN RANCH (located between KCL and Selby)
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=hnx&sid=CAZC1&num=48

CAMPING ADVISORY

Link to MU Ranch location
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.058107&z=14
if you guys make a dinner run into Taft on Friday night, come by the campsite and pick up the stragglers!

Quote:
Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #120
ddennis669
Adventurer

Quote:
if you guys make a dinner run into Taft on Friday night, come by the campsite and pick up the stragglers!

Be glad to. Where are you going to camp?