User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #361
Hamon
I just like riding

Oddometer: 289
Awesome. You two are a great team.

The narration and the pictures have been amazing, and I wait with baited breath for the next installment. I found this report this morning and have read through it all since then. Thanks so much for putting this together, and take care!

Travis
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762691 <- 3 months of moto fantasticity
Hamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #362
Chris M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The way you have captured this ride thru your pictures and narration have been amazing. I wish you and your wife a safe and fun Part II.
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #363
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,341
LDF and Dr. Rock!

It was great meeting you two yesterday morning , I'm just sorry we couldn't spend a little more time with ya !

Be safe and have a fun time out there!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #364
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Teaser...

Well, we're safely back in NYC... A totally awesome trip. Photos are uploading, and I'll be starting to write up the ride report over the next few days...

If there's one photo that is iconic of the trip (and I knew it would be when I snapped it) it's this one of LDF on the White Rim trail. A potential front-page candidate? ... what do you guys think?

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #365
rfx
White Lighting

Oddometer: 162
Oh boy! Can't wait for the second installment.

Ride: To move by way of an intangible force or impetus; move as if on water.

Current: 03 DRZ400s
Sold: 95' DR350se (You'll be missed)
rfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #366
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,034

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #367
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
Can't wait to enjoy your adventure. Wish I could have tagged along.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #368
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Well, we're safely back in NYC... A totally awesome trip. Photos are uploading, and I'll be starting to write up the ride report over the next few days...

If there's one photo that is iconic of the trip (and I knew it would be when I snapped it) it's this one of LDF on the White Rim trail. A potential front-page candidate? ... what do you guys think?

you were laggin that far behind again?!?

was wondering where you been, then the thought occured to look up the thread. which now is in my watched threads with this post.

welcome home and lookin forward to more pics and stories
Old 09-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #369
trumpet
Group W Bench

Oddometer: 1,394
oboy oboy!!
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #370
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 825

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #371
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,801
I had a very pleasant day today reading through your ride report . I hadn't looked at it before. Wonderful story! I thoroughly enjoyed your Nova Scotia report, too. Thank you so much. I can imagine how enjoyable it will be for you to come back and re-read this in a few years.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #372
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Git crackin'

It's been a few days of NYC immersion therapy. But I'm more or less caught up with all the stuff that piled up while we were gone. The critical stuff, anyway. Definite culture shock.

A little pre-quel discourse. Our first choice would be to have ridden the TAT continuously in one shot. Realistically, that's not gonna happen. Breaking it up into two week segments has its advantages, though. After Mobius I, we were able to reflect, debrief, fine-tune, practice, rest up, and hit these last two weeks with a fuller appreciation of what we were in for. Or so we thought.

I've read in TAT reports that there's the TAT before Salida, CO, and there's the TAT after. I've heard others say that the TAT becomes progressively more difficult, but your experience grows with the terrain, so it ends up being a similar degree of challenge along the way, relatively speaking.

My opinion is more the former. Yes, the degree of difficulty increases as you go west, but CO and UT are a huge step up, especially if you avoid the "Big-bike" bypasses.

Late May and early September are great times to travel. We often commented that there's no WAY we would want to be out in the desert in July or August. I don't know how some of you do it.

I was asked which was better, Mobius I or Mobius II. Answer: Mobius II wouldn't have been as good as it was without having first experienced Mobius I. I know some people start the TAT at points west, but I got a lot out of moving myself all the way from east to west, albeit in two (so far) stages. I have a sense of the distance and geology that I wouldn't have otherwise.

The TAT is part of what we've wanted to do, and a challange to ride, but from a planning standpoint it has become relatively "easy". You buy the maps, read the RR's, load yer GPS, and go! Finding ourselves in places we'd seen photos of in other's RR's was actually comforting... under the I-70 overpasses in UT, for instance.

But now that we're getting the hang of this remote-dirt-road-camping-adv-touring thing, the routes that we take getting to and from where we join and leave the TAT are becoming more fun. As we gain confidence that we can handle flat tires, breakdowns, (both mechanical and psychological ), eating freezedried food, skipping showers for a few days, camping in the middle of nowhere, etc,... and survive; the addition of the element of the unknown... that we're actually exploring places that we haven't been spoon-fed, or read about anywhere, added a lot to this trip for me.

I've got the tracks mapped, the photos uploaded, the memories are like a good lemon tart just ready to pull out of the oven... just setting up, still a little jiggly, fresh and warm, not yet dried out.

Tomorrow, I start plugging away at the story of Mobius II.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 10:18 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #373
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
an den.....
Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #374
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,910
bring it on!

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #375
Jonny Utah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
id put it on the front page if it were up to me.
92 FZR 1000
FAH*Q

VSH, the rock.
Jonny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote