User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #376
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Day 1, Sept. 6

This was probably the longest day of our trip. Got to bed late, 'round midnight, then woke up at 3am for a 6am flight.

That gets us to the airport and checked in at....

Once I'm up, I'm up... LDF, however, can't sleep comfortably before a trip unless she's checked in at the gate.

It was an uneventful flight, with a quick plane change in Atlanta, getting us to Albuquerque by 12:30pm, where we picked up our chinese immigrant bag (not bad for $5 -- survived without a scratch, folds flat and small for travel)

And before we left the airport, we tried to think ahead and filled the Camelbaks with water,

Which augmented for this western portion what we learned on Mobius I "Never pass gas" with "Never pass water".

I exchanged a couple of text messages with ToddS, and a 5 minute cab ride later, we pulled up the door to the two sleeping beauties:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 09:24 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #377
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Bike prep

The mighty Todd was a Godsend!

We pulled the bikes into the only shade in Albuquerque, and set to work... Unpacking, repacking, front tire change, change petcock, reattach gas tanks...

Todd has his own DRZ, brought tools, and jumped right in. What kind of saint gives up a beautiful Saturday afternoon to help get a couple of New Yorkers back on the trail? Thanks a ton for all your help, Todd!

Especially for bringing a BMF wrench to get off the stuck front axle bolt on Blueberry:

Turned out to be a SOB even with that... almost could have used a breaker bar.

Don from A-1 stopped by... great guy, very friendly and accomodating.

And while Todd worked on the tire change,

I started on the gas tanks,

And LDF took photos after sorting out our gear.

Focus, babe... hand me a wrench or sumthin' over here.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 09:31 AM
Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #378
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So far so...

I figured we'd be done in at most a couple of hours, and on the road by 3pm.

Tire on, inflated, looks good:

OK, so the bead wasn't setting on just a little part on one side... we'll just get going, ride on it, and try to reset it once it's warmed up some.

Note:[ -- never again! The solution as it is to most problems is MORE LUBE!]

Fine... except, what's that smell of gas???

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 10:41 AM
Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #379
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mile 0, first leak licked

So it's gas dripping off the bottom of Blueberry's carburator:

So... pull the seat and tank, unbolt all the crap in the way, loosen the throttle cables and boots,

rotate the mother to gain exposure and... the float bowl gasket is dried out and not holding a seal. Of course I don't have another, and now it's 4pm on a Saturday. We call one dealer... they'd have to order it, a second one is closed already.

Not the way we wanted to start the trip, but what the hell, looks like a field repair is the only option at this point.

I feel bad for Todd, 'cause I know he wanted to ride out of town with us and we just can't get going...

So I break out some RTV black silicone, and schmear some on top of the gasket... "how long does it have to skim over for?" "two minutes should be good"

Lo and behold, leak fixed. Now, admittedly, the priority here was to fix the leak, and I was, er, a bit liberal with the silicone application which caused some other er, issues later... but in due course.

For now, we were packed up...

and ready to roll!

Except Blueberry's battery wouldn't turn over the engine.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 11:07 AM
Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #380
mr_gs-r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
ive been anxiously awaiting part 2 of your trip!

i had the same issue with my float bowl gasket last week, rtv was my temp fix as well but i wasnt so liberal with the application .

mr_gs-r screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 10:33 AM
mr_gs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #381
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Finally... on the road

A little bumpage to get started...

And a quick gas stop, and we're headed for the hills!

Very quickly we're out of the city, climbing up the Sandia peaks...

Fun paved twisties...

Nice dirt twisties:

Loosening up after being cooped up in the airplanes all day... getting the feel back for these bikes:

Beautiful views, crisp temps at the higher altitude,

Only problem is, the shadows are gettin' kinda long.

So do we hole up in Albuquerque, or do we try to high-tail it 60 miles or so to the Cochiti Dam recreation area, camp for the night, and get a jump on the next day?

Well, we're kinda tired, kinda frazzled, but it's mostly paved. Besides, the dirt section I've routed through the indian reservation is bypassable, and we've still got an hour or so of daylight left, so... what could go wrong?

Hummada, hummada...

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 11:14 AM
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #382
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Just when you think it can't get any worse

Just as we pulled into the indian reservation dirt roads, LDF says, "my bike doesn't feel right" sure enough, her front tire's gone flat. I remember passing a parking lot a mile or so back where there was a light, so we fill it with the pump, and head back there.

I don't even know why it went flat... I just put in the spare tube, pumped it up, and we were on our way. Could it have been that we left a part of the bead unset?

We ended up taking the dirt shortcut through the indian reservation which was very cool... clear sky (cold), dusty, sandy, and cows and horses appearing like ghosts out of nowhere in our headlights. Kind of freaky, but having survived to this point, I think we would have dragged our gear behind us in our teeth, pulling the bikes behind tied to our boots and just walked the last few miles; we were unstoppable.

Setting up camp 24 hours after waking up that morning:

Tired, hungry, cranky... but on our way

Old 09-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #383
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The sun also rises

Day 2: Sunday Sept. 7, 2008

And so did we...

Amazing what a little sleep and sunshine can do for morale

We took our time getting the bikes repacked:

Fueled up,

It was like the night before was just a bad dream... did we really change that flat, and then ride through all that dust and sand and almost run into all those animals and set up camp in the dark exhausted???

I check the camera:

Maybe not... this was when I tried to take a photo of the horses in the road... . Did we just imagine it? Weird desert mind-tricks?

Well, we're definitely here now,

So lets git goin'!

Back the way we came last May via the route we enjoyed so much.

It seemed more rutted and technical than I remembered it, but maybe that's just the different perspective of riding the same terrain fresh, vs. after 2400mi of dirt.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 01:45 PM
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #384
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our goal for the day

was Cimarron Canyon State park, where we stayed towards the end of Mobius I. We got dumped on with snow that time, and had to divert to Taos, and skip riding forest roads through Carson National Forest; this time we were determined.

First, we boogied through Santa Fe National forest, only stopping a couple of times since we had been there before.

Busted out the Adventure Bunny:

Great weather, great smells, great views... what more could you want?

Even some technical riding... FUN!

Before we knew it, we were through Santa Fe N.F., and back on pavement through Los Alamos.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 01:50 PM
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #385
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
Great start! Hope I didn't put that axle bolt back on too tight!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #386
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

BIA -- no go!

The next section, we had taken pavement through on Mobius I. It traverses a valley, along the Rio Grande, through several Indian Reservations.

Before we got onto the dirt again, heading down into the valley (temps rising in the blazing sun with each 100ft we descend), Blueberry's engine cuts out.

It restarts, but as soon as you crack the throttle past idle, it dies. Hmmmm.

We let it sit for a few minutes, discussing our options, try it again, and it's fine.

LDF's confidence in Blueberry's reliability takes a hit, but otherwise we're back on our way, trying to pick our way through the dirt road mazes of the Reservation land.

The road turned to deep sand,

and then petered out, despite being clearly marked on the GPS.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #387
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 494
Well, it looks like I'm not getting much work done today!...been waiting for this since subscribing to Mobius I.

1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #388
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We're getting a vibe here...

We turn around, and from one of the houses / trailers, a figure emerges and waves me over. I ride over and kill the engine. LDF is struggling to turn around in the deep sand.

It's a middle aged man, who starts lecturing me about our bikes being confiscated if we ride on private Indian land, etc.

I'm appologetic, respectful, and start to get the sense that I don't completely understand the subtext of this interaction. It's not the usual traveler-samaritan interaction I'm used to when riding.

I decide to just get back to the pavement, and get out of there.

On the way back, we pass behind some buildings, and there's some kind of ceremony going on with dancing and drumming.

I don't stop, but manage to snap a couple of shots.

I admit to not knowing squat about the Native American situation except for the basics... but the vibe I got was that the conflict is far from resolved or settled. They don't seem to want outsiders on the reservation (which is cool), but on the other hand, you can drive in there freely, there are roads which are on maps, and until you get there and find out that it really isn't open, and the roads are on paper only, there's no way to anticipate that.

My solution has become to avoid routing through BIA land.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #389
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On to Carson N.F.

A quick stop for lunch on the way.

Where at the gas station, I saw the future of our economy... A young couple was pulled up to the pumps in a ratty '80's Nova, and they were soliciting people who pulled up for gas money. They were a little rough around the edges, but they weren't begging... he was trying to sell people an ice scraper (!).

I call this next piece "Mushroom Cloud over Los Alamos":

A little more pavement,

Not too painful,

Hey, I recognize this place:

Badass bikers assembled outside:

A little more pavement,

Ooohh, this is fun, even with knobbies:

And eventually the turnoff into the hills that we were looking for:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-03-2009 at 06:21 AM
Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #390
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At elevation

for the first time... I mean above 10,000 feet. We weren't quite sure what to expect.

But, ya can't win if ya don't play... so shove off, eh?

Started out nice and graded...

And as we crested up onto the ridge two things happened which would become a recurring theme... the trail would get much more technical:

And we both would start sucking air from the altitude.

But the riding was awesome, and we were just getting our first taste of life on motorcycles above the treeline.

Gotta stop soon for a rest.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 02:02 PM