User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #406
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Aermotor - Cubs connection?

We passed windmills throughout the west.

This one caught my eye:

What I noticed was the "Chicago" and the logo:

Which looks suspiciously like the Chicago Cubs logo:

LDF & I met in Chicago. I'm from Chicago. I'm a huge Cubs fan. (Didn't they just beat the New York Giants or something?)

Anyway, what's more interesting is the reading I've done on the Aermotor company and it's history. The Chicago manufacturing logo indicates that this windmill was produced prior to the company's manufacturing move to Broken Arrow, OK in 1964. Cool.

Here are some links on Aermotor history if anyone is interested.

http://www.spearman.org/aermotorhistory.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13h30aP-5g

http://www.aermotor.com/

You can still buy an 802 model for $4500-$19,000 depending on size and features.

I took a few other photos of the Chicago mills later in the trip.

God I miss Jose Cardenal...

Nobody's 'fro stuck out of their helmet as perfectly as his:

Go Cubs!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-02-2009 at 04:28 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #407
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back to the TAT

Passed the railroad car hopper feed thing:

Got back on dirt... (sign reads "17 miles unpavd road ahead may not be passable during inclement weather")

A little more dirt...

And before we knew it, we were back on the TAT, heading the opposite direction from where we left off last May.

Mobius I (May 14, 2008):

Mobius II (Sept. 8, 2008):

Now that I look at the two photos side by side, I see that it is a lot greener in September. Who knew?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-02-2009 at 04:30 PM
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #408
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Some easy dirt riding

Up long canyon road...

and then the turn-off to climb up the mesa to CO. Does anyone wonder why that famous sign was put here that says "<-- Biker Route"???

This might be why...

(I Francine anyway.)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-03-2009 at 06:43 AM
Old 09-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #409
Nichelob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I remembered your Long Canyon Rd pic from Mobius I when I was on my own trip. Here is what it looked like on July 14th (not much different than your May 14th!)
Old 09-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #410
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hill climb

After we passed the "biker route" sign, I knew what was coming next. A fairly long, steep, loose climb, that had given some other Tat'ers a hard time, especially if it was wet out.

I looked for LDF and didn't see her... over the edge?

I hear her engine, and look up,

She's standing on the pegs, already motoring up the next switchback!

I had wanted to catch her and let her know what was coming, and get her psyched, and maybe give her some pointers before heading up... but

Who needs that? Instead, I caught up to her at the top, where she had her camera out and was taking pictures of me.

That was when I got to tell her that that hill climb was one of the hardest pre-rockies TAT sections.

"Why didn't you tell me that before???"

"I couldn't catch you. "

I got a slug in the shoulder for that one.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-03-2009 at 06:47 AM
Old 09-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #411
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

To Branson, CO

The next section was straight,

level,

and fast.

A stiff cross-wind had built up.

When we got to Branson, we found that Mr. Happy Puppet had left us.

I think he had the hots for Ms. Adventure Bunny, and his advances were rebuffed. Not being able to take the rejection, he decided to hitch-hike the rest of the way. Or maybe back to NYC. Or maybe he's somewhere on that stretch of dirt road.

He's probably not having very good luck at hitchhiking. He's got no thumbs.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #412
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Jail time

For Ms. Adventure Bunny.

Everyone takes photos of the jail... But I liked this building better:

Old 09-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #413
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Branson to Trinidad

The next section again was flat and fast. Still, it was turning into a long day.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #414
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Valcom

I had a little trouble finding Valcom motorsports based on the address I had plugged into the GPS. A quick call to the shop and they were able to talk me in.

We pulled in around 3:45 pm, and met P.J. Marquez.

He had our tires waiting, put together the paperwork, had us bring our bikes 'round back, and had two of his guys tear into things.

We can't speak highly enough about his shop,

or his crew.

They ride, they race, they like to talk bikes... they're friendly, they'll stay late... I wish he'd open a branch in NYC.

They had our bikes up on the lifts,

and it was like watching a pit-crew at work:

I had them change my sprockets and chain, and had to unload all my gear to get the parts out of my luggage...

Even the boss pitched in on the tire machine to keep things moving along.

All in all, it was a great pit stop, I recommend the place to anyone passing through. It was a real treat to hang out and swap stories with P.J. and the guys, and I hope we pass that way again.

Two new rear D606's, oil and filter changed on both bikes, new chain and sprockets on mine, new fuel line and filter on mine, bikes hosed down, great conversation and riding advice, free brainstorming about Blueberry's carb trouble, a new pair of gloves for LDF, good advice on a hotel in Trinidad, and out the door by 5:30PM!

Thanks, guys!

DR. Rock screwed with this post 09-26-2008 at 05:48 PM
Old 09-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #415
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Trail's End -- NOT

We pulled into the motel

Unpacked,

found a convenience store for some cocktails and apetizers,

Watched a little weather channel while the iPods were recharging...

We scoped out places to for dinner, and headed out.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #416
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Trinidad by night

Some nice old structures...

not terribly touristy.

The lit up sign on the hill says "TRINIDAD"... just like "HOLLYWOOD"!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #417
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dinner

We ate at the East Peak Pub on the other side of town. Apparently there's a brewery that served food right near our motel, but we'd rather go for a walk, and this places menu sounded better.

There was a football game on TV, so the place started to fill up.

We had a tandoori pizza as an appetizer,

Yum, with cilantro... spicy!

Mussels,

Fish & Chips, just like at the EAR Inn...

and awesome bread pudding.

Our waitress was super-nice, had just gotten out of the military, was interested in learning to ride, and having adventures, and now we can't remember her name.

Which has since led me to make a new rule, which is when we meet people on the road, if we've been drinking, we have to write their names down...

We don't meet so many people on these trips 'cause there's not that many people out there... but the one's we met while drinkin' neither of us can remember their names, and the one's we met not drinkin' we can both remember their names. What does that tell you?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #418
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The walk home

Apparently was fun...

I don't remember any of it... (there's a reason we left the bikes at the motel)

Stats for the day:

Old 09-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #419
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,033
How many miles were on those rear tires when replaced?

Great pics, keep em coming!

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #420
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt
How many miles were on those rear tires when replaced?

Great pics, keep em coming!
'bout 3000... I mounted them in Tallassee TN, at Motor1's Dragon's Inn. They did all of Mobius I, (2400mi), and the first 500mi or so of Mobius II.

They probably had another 500 miles on them before they were trashed, but Valcom was the right place to get them changed. They were Pirelli MT-21's, replaced with Dunlop D606's.

We now have about 2000 miles on the Dunlops, and they've still got some life left in them. Maybe (maybe) another 1000.

We're not all that hard on the tires, we roll slow, but steady. (OK, every once in awhile I blip the throttle a little. )