Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #451
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Salida

We cruised into Salida, spooking some deer on the way in

And even though Tami and Duke were supposed to be out of town, we though we'd stop by their shops and drop off an NYPD and FDNY pin as goodwill tokens from east coast ADV'ers.

We find FatTees and BeadSong, and as we're parking our bikes in front,

Who walks by, but Tami herself! . Turns out they were running late, and so we got to meet in person the famous adventure couple of the Rockies.

Hope to see you two again, either out there or in NYC if you ever make it out here... We'd love to stay at the Adventure Cabin someday... heard so much about it. The door to the Adventure Loft here in NYC is always open.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #452
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We get some advice

from Tami & Duke:

"Yeah, Hancock / Tomichi passes are pretty rough. May have gotten some snow. Marshall pass will be much better. Old railroad grade. Nice views."

That pretty much confirmed what I'd been reading on RR's here. A real bitch to get over. Long, steep, loose, at altitude. High potential for falling and breaking bikes and/or bones.

As much as we want to take on the TAT in it's ferocious entirety, we were conflicted bypassing Hancock / Tomichi. Sketchy weather, late season, torn up still from last year's snow. It's a route we want to do eventually, just not this early, on this trip, with a full load.

Maybe we'll come back someday, ditch our gear in Salida, and ride a loop. For this trip, however, we'll wimp out and take the bypass up Marshall pass and down to Sargents.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #453
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Marshall pass

As advertised... nicely graded...

Nice views...

After a few miles, we get to an intersection. The GPS has me making a left turn. A sign labled "Marshall pass" points to the right. I stop. I check the GPS. Marshall pass as the crow flies, is to the left. Hmmmm.

I scroll towards the left, following where the devil box is routing us. Sure enough, it goes directly to Marshall pass. What to do?

As we're sitting there at the crossroads, a car pulls out of the road from the left. In it is a family of Indian or Pakistani descent. It's not a 4X4 or anything. It's a normal sedan. They're already past us by the time it occurs to me to ask for directions, but I'm not sure I would have anyway. Guy thing.

We head left.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #454
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Harder than expected...

So we're following a creek, and the weather is looking like we made the right choice to stay off of Hancock and Tomichi...

I'm seeing several Knobby tracks and I think... could this be DockingPilot and his crew? They're only a few days ahead of us. Cool.

The trail starts to get narrow, and I think, oh well... narrow gauge railroad.

then it starts to get rutted and muddy, and LDF has her first fall. . An almost endo in a mud hole.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #455
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This ain't no railroad bed

So we start to climb, and on the one hand I'm thinking... "I know DockingPilot and his crew were planning on going over Marshall Pass" and on the other hand I'm thinking... "No way a train climbed this twisty, gnarly trail... is this all wrong?"

It wasn't impossible riding... but the higher we climbed, the more difficult it became, and it was just unrelenting.

We stopped for a deer.

Then we stopped for a rest... my bike was overheating a little. Gotta work on that jetting.

Still having fun, snacking on peanuts and keeping hydrated.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #456
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We break out of the trees

and stop for another break.

We're thinking, "If Marshall Pass is this hard, thank GOD we didn't try to take on Hancock / Tomichi" Yikes!

I check the GPS, and we don't have far, but it's all climb.

A short while later, we pass this sign. The bottom arrow points to where we had just come from, confirming that "that weren't no railroad grade!"

Poncha Creek (Crest) 4WD trail??? cool! We're not as lame as we thought. And just up a ways, we found out we're not as lost as we thought either, 'cause there was Marshall Pass.

Where we saw the REAL Marshall pass road, which was the longer, gentler way up that we skipped way back at the sign. .

Oh well. Our way was more fun, and based solely on other's reports, I think it's a great alternative somewhere between the nearly impossible Hancock / Tomichi route, and the disappointingly easy Marshall Pass road.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-06-2008 at 07:21 PM
Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #457
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Continental divide

In retrospect, when I transcribed the TAT to GPS, I didn't pay as much attention to the bypasses, as I figured we'd be doing the regular route. As the time got closer, we let the decision be made on that day. When we finally decided to take the Marshall bypass, I just let it route by "shortest route" and we took off.

For the bypasses, I didn't go back and confirm that the GPS was routing the TAT based on the waypoints I'd entered. I did that for all the main routes and they were no problem. Oh well.

We took pictures... Adventure bunny took a header while Blueberry posed...

I posed with the bikes,

We tried to get a group photo...

LDF shoots the view,

While I get Adventure Bunny to sit still...

I think the altitude was getting to us.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #458
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The ride down

Marshall Pass was kinder and gentler. Just to keep us honest, it started to rain.

Road construction, Colorado style.

By the time we got to Sargents, it was really coming down. People were telling us that it was snowing over Monarch pass, and for sure there would be blizzard conditions up over Hancock / Tomichi, so at least we didn't screw up that decision.

There were some hardcore dirtbikers having lunch (wimps -- we don't eat no steenkin lunch ) and I gathered that we had followed their tracks up over the Ponchas Cr trail. LDF would have to confirm, but I think she got a big dose of confidence this day which would serve her well on the next.

Rather than wait for the rain to subside, we saddled up, and headed out.

It seemed every time we had to ride on pavement, it would start to rain

and as soon as we hit dirt, it would stop.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #459
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

How far will we get?

We were kind of hoping to make it to Lake City for the night, and maybe sleep indoors, especially with the weather as is was. But we weren't sure what kind of time we'd be making.

Fortunately,

the next sections

were well graded,

and even with the rain

weren't too muddy.

The weather

was starting to cooperate as well, so

we covered some distance in good time.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #460
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We started climbing again

this was just great riding.

Nice to have the dust suppressed even for a little while.

"Lake City 31miles"... we can do that!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #461
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

When you come over a rise,

and see something like this, you just have to stop...

Old 09-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #462
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More sights

on the way...

Into a canyon, we passed these cliffs,

which were next to a stream,

Old 09-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #463
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Cebolla creek, maybe?

Anyway, it was beautiful.

This next one could be front page material?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #464
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Climbing above the creek,

there was a steep cliff off the left side of the road:

Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #465
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Down to Lake City

Just past this,

we picked up pavement again, only this time it didn't rain.

and descended into Lake City.

Because the weather had cleared, we contemplated camping again, since there were some N.F. campsites just ahead, but we didn't have provisions, and would need to stop in to Lake City anyway for gas, so we just decided to find a motel.

Another motivation was that we had been chilled all day at the higher elevations, and as we dropped down, it got significantly warmer.

It's a nice ride down, with great vistas, and plenty of curvy switchbacks.

The first place we stopped at in Lake City had one room left, a suite, which we were given at a regular room rate.

It was next to a liquor store , had a kitchen, and a grill, so we scuttled our plans to go out to eat, and instead scrambled to get some groceries before everything shut down.

Daily stats: