User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 05:16 AM   #16
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Mike!

VFR is soon to be departed for a new toy... (it was a good run)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #17
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
As the owner of an F800S for a year and almost 23k miles, the fuel tank and cap placement is one of the great features. I don't have to unstrap and restrap my tankbag every time I stop for gas. Awesome.
+1 on the filler location. No need to move tank bag (if you can fit one on the GS8), no gas in your lap or dripping on the hot engine in an overfill, and it's easy to park on the sidestand for fueling. Just gotta remember which side of the pump to sidle up to!
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
As the owner of an F800S for a year and almost 23k miles, the fuel tank and cap placement is one of the great features. I don't have to unstrap and restrap my tankbag every time I stop for gas. Awesome.

Since my fuel economy is very high (63mpg in interstate cruizing) the net range per tank is still over 200 miles.

I would guess the F800GS can deliver similar results.
This month's issue of BIKE has a fuel consumption challenge for their long-term test fleet. The 800GS walked it, with something like 225 or 240 miles on one tank (I can't remember the exact figure).
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #19
Marvin the Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:

Since my fuel economy is very high (63mpg in interstate cruizing) the net range per tank is still over 200 miles.

I would guess the F800GS can deliver similar results.
I agree on the placement being handy for not unpacking to refuel, although the low side high side issue is at odds. Like I said on the center stand is the way I always fuel up, and based on that I'd prefer the dismount side be the the pump side.
Marvin the Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #20
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian
I agree on the placement being handy for not unpacking to refuel, although the low side high side issue is at odds. Like I said on the center stand is the way I always fuel up, and based on that I'd prefer the dismount side be the the pump side.

Learning new tricks is tough, huh?

Why'd you fuel other bikes on the center stand? Because of the top-center mounted fuel filler. Why heave a bike onto the stand if you don't have to? Put the GS on the sidestand, and still fill to capacity.

Sounds good in my book.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #21
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,879
What happens when you have panniers on it? Refueling could be tricky then.
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
Marvin the Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Learning new tricks is tough, huh?

Why'd you fuel other bikes on the center stand? Because of the top-center mounted fuel filler. Why heave a bike onto the stand if you don't have to? Put the GS on the sidestand, and still fill to capacity.

Sounds good in my book.
No because I like to park my motorcycle on the center stand thats why had one installed. My gas fills include chain lube, oil level, and tire inspection. Motorcycles I have ridden without center stands piss me off.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #23
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama
Depends on the panniers.

earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #24
Uriel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
This month's issue of BIKE has a fuel consumption challenge for their long-term test fleet. The 800GS walked it, with something like 225 or 240 miles on one tank (I can't remember the exact figure).
I believe it was 270 and he said if he hadn't picked up the pace at the end to beat the others, he reckons he could have gotten 300 from it.

2008 BMW F800GS
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #25
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel
I believe it was 270 and he said if he hadn't picked up the pace at the end to beat the others, he reckons he could have gotten 300 from it.
"Bike's" conclusion:

"I have 225 miles on the clock and a claimed 73 miles left in the tank. With a less enthusiastic last stint I could have got 300 miles out of the 16.5 litre tank. That'd be over 80mp(British)g Incredible."
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:10 AM   #26
easyman05
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
"Bike's" conclusion:

"I have 225 miles on the clock and a claimed 73 miles left in the tank. With a less enthusiastic last stint I could have got 300 miles out of the 16.5 litre tank. That'd be over 80mp(British)g Incredible."
I do not believe it. He should ride till the empty to be exact. My wife's F800ST has the same engine and tank and plastic panels, which gives more dynamic shape and allows to save fuel, is unable to do 300 miles. 300 km - maybe.
easyman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 AM   #27
Marvin the Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
I do not believe it. He should ride till the empty to be exact. My wife's F800ST has the same engine and tank and plastic panels, which gives more dynamic shape and allows to save fuel, is unable to do 300 miles. 300 km - maybe.
I agree those numbers net about 70 miles/usg which seems pretty high, not impossible but very high. The DL650 has is 150cc smaller and won't net much more than 60 miles/usg
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #28
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Whatever.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #29
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama
The "under the seat tank" is nothing new.
The F650GS/Dakar have had it since the year 2000.
People like Worldrider have been riding these bikes hard without any problems (from the tank).
It's just something different when compared to most bikes and IMHO a good thing that keeps the CG down.
I've ridden several Single Cylinder F650GS (with and without panniers) and never had problems filling the tank. The correct way to do it (on this type of bikes) is on the side stand... You can always roll the bike a couple of yards after refueling, put her on the center stand and then go about lubbing the chain.