Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
I have been thinking about swapping the stock instrument cluster out for the 950 tripmaster display. Only problem being that I don't think the connectors are the same....I wonder if an adapter can be made.
AFAIR the connector in the 950 is completely different... :(
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #17
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurizio
AFAIR the connector in the 950 is completely different... :(
well if we could get the pin outs on the connector we could probably make an adapter. I am pretty sure there is an FI light on the 950....there is definitely one on the 990.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #18
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,667
Mine started doing the number fade thing this week. Also have a FI fault code. Gonna take it up to a dealer next week that is one of the best suspension shops in the area and have them do the suspension and warranty work.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #19
Sobiloff
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
No documented way to change this setting, and the dealer will ask to KTM Italy if there is a procedure to do this "at home"... But we will not receive any answer until monday.
I read this procedure elsewhere and haven't tried it myself, but I figured I'd pass it on in case you're adventurous enough to try it:

*Remove old Odometer and the connector.
*Cut the wire for pin 18 (should be Brown/Grey for 690E) on the connector.
*Install Odometer
*Turn key to "on" and with the meter set to "Trip 1", press and hold "Mode" for 10 sec.
Length xxxx (the 17" circumference) will show up (flashing), press "mode" to increase and "set" to decrease the circumference.
The correct setting for 21" should be 2205.
*Press "mode" and "set" simultanously to set it.

The only thing that the "pin 18" do is lock the Odo from adjusting wheelsize.
Sobiloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #20
Maurizio
2 smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrnewbie
in case you're adventurous enough to try it:
Isn't this ADVRider?

Nothing interesting on TV tonight.

And tomorrow morning I will report on it!

Thank you klrnewbie!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #21
Maurizio
2 smoker

Quote:
Isn't this ADVRider?

And tomorrow morning I will report on it!
It has not been such an adventure.

It really is grey/brown wire, and with a pair of good sight glasses, a little bit of patience, and a little knowledge of that kind of connectors I have been able to remove the pin from the connector without cutting. Long to describe, easy to do with the connector in your hands.

Anyway, if I'll find some time left from work and family in the next days, I'll make a little photographic "how to".

The procedure went on as described, and then I have put the pin again in the connector.

Total time about 20 minutes, and all the harness is "untouched" to avoid warranty issues.

So, when I'll buy those motard style 17"s, I'll set the odo for them...

One note: I have quickly measured the wheel circumference, marking the point of contact from tire and floor, making one complete wheel turn and marking again: with the (euro) stock Metz Sahara the lenght is about 2135 mm.

I have avoided to make a "fine" setting, for warranty issues again...

And no, it is not "tomorrow morning".
It is "tonight" here in Italy... :)

Maurizio screwed with this post 10-06-2008 at 01:41 PM
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #22
Sobiloff
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Excellent! I'm glad those instructions worked for ya'.
Sobiloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #23
Earl
Trials Rider

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrnewbie
I read this procedure elsewhere and haven't tried it myself, but I figured I'd pass it on in case you're adventurous enough to try it:

*Remove old Odometer and the connector.
*Cut the wire for pin 18 (should be Brown/Grey for 690E) on the connector.
*Install Odometer
*Turn key to "on" and with the meter set to "Trip 1", press and hold "Mode" for 10 sec.
Length xxxx (the 17" circumference) will show up (flashing), press "mode" to increase and "set" to decrease the circumference.
The correct setting for 21" should be 2205.
*Press "mode" and "set" simultanously to set it.

The only thing that the "pin 18" do is lock the Odo from adjusting wheelsize.

My replacement instrument cluster came in and the tech replaced it but the length was set up for a 17" wheel so they called KTM and was told that they needed to send it in to be recalibrated. Remembering this post I looked back and found this info, snipped my wire and went back to the dealer and picked up the new cluster. It only took a minute to set the new length value of 2205 for the 21" wheel and now I can fine tune if needed. This shared information saved the dealer and myself a lot of hassle.

Thanks klrnewbie!
2008 Ktm 690 Enduro
2005 Bmw R1200gs, 2013 Sherco Trials 2.9
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #24
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
My replacement instrument cluster came in and the tech replaced it but the length was set up for a 17" wheel so they called KTM and was told that they needed to send it in to be recalibrated. Remembering this post I looked back and found this info, snipped my wire and went back to the dealer and picked up the new cluster. It only took a minute to set the new length value of 2205 for the 21" wheel and now I can fine tune if needed. This shared information saved the dealer and myself a lot of hassle.

Thanks klrnewbie!

it truly is amazing how little the dealers know about their bikes....or how little KTM indulges to them. When I picked up my 690 from the dealer I asked them where the ignition setting switch was....lots of blank stares. I later found it but have yet to go back to show them. It would be nice to know which dealers had active members on the forums who keep up with what we the consumer fab up and discover on our own.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #25
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Hello Maurizio,

I had the same replacement problem here ...

The procedure requires that you cut wires. It is not that easy.

Why don't KTM send the good part number ?

Paul Jr
Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #26
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
It would be nice to know which dealers had active members on the forums who keep up with what we the consumer fab up and discover on our own.
Hello Seth,

The representative for KTM here says, euh !? no, he screams that whatever is written on forums is bullshit. Come on customers, be dumb ass please !!!

Paul Jr
Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #27
Maurizio
2 smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck
Hello Maurizio,

I had the same replacement problem here ...

The procedure requires that you cut wires. It is not that easy.
If you take apart the connector you can avoid cutting the wire. Have a look here: http://www.valesan.it/taco690e.html

Quote:

Why don't KTM send the good part number ?
Heaven knows...
Old 11-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
mpilon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Gps Calibration

Quote:
It has not been such an adventure.

It really is grey/brown wire, and with a pair of good sight glasses, a little bit of patience, and a little knowledge of that kind of connectors I have been able to remove the pin from the connector without cutting. Long to describe, easy to do with the connector in your hands.

Anyway, if I'll find some time left from work and family in the next days, I'll make a little photographic "how to".

The procedure went on as described, and then I have put the pin again in the connector.

Total time about 20 minutes, and all the harness is "untouched" to avoid warranty issues.

So, when I'll buy those motard style 17"s, I'll set the odo for them...

One note: I have quickly measured the wheel circumference, marking the point of contact from tire and floor, making one complete wheel turn and marking again: with the (euro) stock Metz Sahara the lenght is about 2135 mm.

I have avoided to make a "fine" setting, for warranty issues again...

And no, it is not "tomorrow morning".
It is "tonight" here in Italy... :)

I did the wire number 18 removal, assisted by the descriptions from this thread and the pictures provided by Maurizio ; IT WORKS !

Now, 2205 is the official number but this number is not accurate. Went for a ride with a gps speed is too high... stopped by the roadside... push here and there on the odo... back on the road... just a little too high... again.... wow : odo AND GPS in synch !!! Ladies and gentlemen, the magic number is.... 2131 ! This is with a Pirelli Scorpio 90/90 - 21 , half of his normal life.

Now, this mod is so good that every human will want to have the REAL speed displayed on his KTM .. NO ? Just a onetime process of removing a wire and you can fine tune your odo when you change tire, wheel, or even mood ( you may prefer optimistic / pessimistic reading... who knows... ).
mpilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #29
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpilon
I did the wire number 18 removal, assisted by the descriptions from this thread and the pictures provided by Maurizio ; IT WORKS !

Now, 2205 is the official number but this number is not accurate. Went for a ride with a gps speed is too high... stopped by the roadside... push here and there on the odo... back on the road... just a little too high... again.... wow : odo AND GPS in synch !!! Ladies and gentlemen, the magic number is.... 2131 ! This is with a Pirelli Scorpio 90/90 - 21 , half of his normal life.

Now, this mod is so good that every human will want to have the REAL speed displayed on his KTM .. NO ? Just a onetime process of removing a wire and you can fine tune your odo when you change tire, wheel, or even mood ( you may prefer optimistic / pessimistic reading... who knows... ).
KTM's are notorious for reading high on the speed, but the distance is right on. I've heard rumor this is due to German law or some such thing about overstating the speed. Anyway - check your distance based on your wheel diameter. On the 950 & 640 (with 21" front), the speed sync's with the GPS if you set the speedometer to 19" (don't feel like doing the math for mm) - but again, your distance will be understated if you do that. I just learned to live with the Speed reading a bit high, so that way I have accurate mileage.
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #30
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Instrument cluster recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
Mine started doing the number fade thing this week. Also have a FI fault code. Gonna take it up to a dealer next week that is one of the best suspension shops in the area and have them do the suspension and warranty work.
My dealer called today, to tell me that KTM wants to replace my speedo tach unit.Same problem as everyone else . He wanted to know the mileage currently on the bike so the factory can set the new one to that mileage. I run my 690 E most lt with the 17 inch wheels and he ask me if I wanted the new speedo calibrated for that diameter. I hope I can cut the wire on pin 18 and re-adjust back to the 21 inch when I do ride off- road .From reading this thread, I think it will aloow me to change back and forth. If anyone knows something to the contrary , please let us know. TIA