Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #31
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,494
G/S tanks also had a screw on filler cap, and not the recessed version as fitted to the ST.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
Kev, I think that was true in the first year(s). My 86 has later flush cap and in fact had the SHED filler neck till I took a saw to it .

But I think they all had the knee indents - otherwise very similar to R65 tank.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #33
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
On my trip up to alaska in June, my subframe cracked as a result of Jesse luggage's crappy mounts. Instead of repairing an already relatively weak subframe and having it break again later on some other trip, I decided it would be best to replace it with one from an r100gs which is significantly sturdier. Since the subframe from the GS is wider it required a new seat, and since I had to buy a new seat anyway, why not a badass solo seat? The subframe was pretty much bolt-on, but one of the mounting holes was about an 1/8" off and required a little tweaking to make it work. I got the idea from this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78107

Don't worry, there were no permanent modifications made anywhere and I saved all the original parts so it can all be put completely back to stock again.

This shot shows it a little better - there's a bit of a gap between the seat and tank, but overall I think it's a huge improvement.
Okay, not being of the GS nor G/S bloodline, I need to ask a question: you have a monolever bike that was crashed, now you are using a paralever subframe, correct? So there were no necessery mods to the drivetrain etc since the shock mount is to the main frame? Problem is solely with fender mount etc? Then the G/S seat fits, but with some room between the tank and seat?

I am getting more and more intrigued with the R80 and want to learn...... this is great fun.................

Old 10-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #34
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
Okay, not being of the GS nor G/S bloodline, I need to ask a question: you have a monolever bike that was crashed, now you are using a paralever subframe, correct? So there were no necessery mods to the drivetrain etc since the shock mount is to the main frame? Problem is solely with fender mount etc? Then the G/S seat fits, but with some room between the tank and seat?

I am getting more and more intrigued with the R80 and want to learn...... this is great fun.................
A couple clarifications:
First off, I didn't even crash. Just riding a dirt road was enough to bust the subframe.

Second, it's a GS (not a G/S) seat

I decided to go with a GS (not G/S) subframe because it's quite a bit sturdier, also because it allows me to use the GS solo seat that interfaces with the GS tank (also not G/S) that I added previously.

If I had stuck with the original tank and original subframe, I could've used a G/S solo seat and rack (still available new out of germany) with no gap.

To answer your question though, no. No mods to the frame or subframe or even the fender. I just bought a GS fender instead of modifying the original as I want to be able to put this thing back in stock unmolested form should I ever feel the urge. The subframe just bolted right on with a little persuasion. Three of the holes lined up perfectly, but the bottom left was off about 1/8" and took a little bending to make it line up, but nothing serious at all.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #35
bpeckm
Grin!

OK... thanks.... that clarification was what I was not understanding.... I thought that you were using a G/S subframe, with no mods.... Got it, now
Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #36
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,100
G/S tank

[quote=Airhead Wrangler]Just to clarify: That's "original paint" from a G/S. The ST only came in two stock colors: metallic red and metallic grey.

Thanks for the clarification Airhead Wrangler.
I've had the bike about six months. The PO mentioned giving it the G/S appearance and I'd read the ST only came in metallic red or metallic gray. So the tank is early G/S, pre '84?
I'm assuming the paint is original due to the type of wear adjacent to the seat and no obvious repaint.

Great looking bike you have there. Good story too:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=resurrecting

Renner screwed with this post 10-07-2008 at 07:37 PM
Renner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #37
rcs.ptlwtx
relic

Oddometer: 46
pic sn 7761

7761 as found, if I attached the image right

rcs.ptlwtx screwed with this post 01-30-2009 at 04:46 PM
rcs.ptlwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #38
rcs.ptlwtx
relic

7761 pic2

"winterized"

rcs.ptlwtx screwed with this post 01-30-2009 at 04:46 PM
Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #39
rcs.ptlwtx
relic

7761 pic 3

current configuration, survivor of Ike. also have the larger GS tank, red, black stripes, any tips on installing?
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #40
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,100
larger tank

rcs.ptlwtx, in my experience there are no fitment problems with the larger tank, but I can only speak from my one example.

Some have reported the GS tank aft securing loop is larger and needs to be replaced with the ST variety. Maybe a short length of fuel line could be slipped onto the loop to take up the difference, if necessary.

How do you like your cockpit fairing?
Renner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #41
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner
rcs.ptlwtx, in my experience there are no fitment problems with the larger tank, but I can only speak from my one example.
Only issue I had, and others on the Yahoo ST group, was that the GS tank creates a small gap between the front bottom edge of the seat and the tank. The top front of the seat meets with the tank perfectly though. Purely aesthetic. I didn't give a shit. E-Kev, it looks like we have another red ST with black stripes coming soon.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #42
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs.ptlwtx
current configuration, survivor of Ike. also have the larger GS tank, red, black stripes, any tips on installing?
Change the securing loop for the ST one, and you will need to buy some more fuel line, and a T piece, as the GS tank has two fuel taps, the ST only having one.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #43
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Purely aesthetic. I didn't give a shit.

E-Kev, it looks like we have another red ST with black stripes coming soon.
I don't care about the small gap either, in fact it saves the seat rubbing on the tank! The GS tank is the best upgrade you can make to the ST in my opinion, it changes the whole look of the bike.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #44
rcs.ptlwtx
relic

cockpit fairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner

How do you like your cockpit fairing?
motorbike came with National barn door-post 37, took it off, rode naked (the bike) for a year. "winter" fairing -post 38 found on e bay. in spring swapped to cockpit fairing. best configuration possible for me, I'm 5'10", surprisingly effective (did they do wind tunnel work), don't know its there, nice pocket of still air, we'll see if its enough in January though.

still have the National fairing, almost new, all fittings, available for cost of shipping, free for Houston pick it up. deliverable to Dallas or Austin.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #45
bpeckm
Grin!

I saw an ad on IBMWR this afternoon for what sounded like a gorgeous R80ST with several thousand original miles, silver in color, asking $4,200.... I was thinking, man, if only....but my reality is grim right now. Sooo......

Thought I should post it up here: went back just now to cut and paste the info, and it has been taken down....

SOMEBODY just got themselves a beauty, I do believe..... any 'fessing up out there.....??